Screening of Euros?

MissMollyAnna

Didn't know if there was a thread on this already...

Do you think they'll screen the match if England get through? If we win/place 3rd in our group we'll be due to play on Saturday the 25th.

I remember them saying they weren't going to show the matches for the 2014 World Cup, but I think that was because it clashed with the headliners. However, I seem to remember when being at Glasto in 2010 they screened a match?

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure football, however well played, classifies as a 'contemporary performing art', and I think the 2010 experience proves that it's not worthwhile for the festival to give over large amounts of time and effort to football matches. However I'm sure you'll be able to watch it in a bar somewhere - the Avalon Inn would probably have it on.

And these days the 3G signal is strong enough even on the farm to mean that if you sit still, you could watch it on your phone... Or you could go old skool, take a radio, and listen to Five Live.  

2 minutes ago, Yokel Again said:

Having missed the Hold Steady and some of Ray Davies to watch Eng v Germany in 2010... my advice would be, really don't bother! I wouldn't ever again.

Didn't we get absolutely thumped 4-1 or something as well haha? I didn't go and watch it as there was a band at the same time I was desperate to see, just  wondering as it might be nice to watch the first half or something.

Yeah, that was the game.

If we get out the group, which we should, the next game should be pretty easy due to the extra round they've put in expanding the tournament. So unless we finish 3rd in the group I don't think it will be a 'can't miss this' sort of fixture. And even if it is, we would probably lose anyway! 

Don't bother :-)

1 minute ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

I'm not sure football, however well played, classifies as a 'contemporary performing art', and I think the 2010 experience proves that it's not worthwhile for the festival to give over large amounts of time and effort to football matches. However I'm sure you'll be able to watch it in a bar somewhere - the Avalon Inn would probably have it on.

And these days the 3G signal is strong enough even on the farm to mean that if you sit still, you could watch it on your phone... Or you could go old skool, take a radio, and listen to Five Live.  

Yeah I'm sure somewhere will have it on. I don't actually take my normal phone with me to festivals, I take a basic £10 one in case I ever need to get hold of my group. I feel like I'm a minority that does that though? Any advice on taking an iPhone? I don't really want to spend the whole festival charging the thing 

In 2010 were the scores readily available on site? It would be nice to see updates on the screens between acts for example. 

I'm not keen enough to miss out on the festival for football. If England win their next match will be after the festival. If they lose then I'll have better spent my time watching Radiohead's special guests slot ;)

Edit - but I would like to know the scores. Updates from home are not reliable Almost missed libertines as my brother text from home to ensure me it was Bastille playing Friday slot. 

Edited by Heather90

The bar up at Williams Green had the Netherlands against Mexico on the other year. I happend to be up there picking up a chicken ended up sat with some Dutch watched the game with them then went our separate ways. 

We still talk football now, like Glastonbury football can be unifying. 

16 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

That's what I did for the Germany game. I vividly remember Alan Green shouting "that's surely over the line, referee!!" whilst I was melting in the 57 degree heat hungover. Not the best part of that festival, but one I'll remember for a long time.

Some bars show matches on smaller screens, but they can become crowded once people start to catch on so if you don't happen to be there before the match it can be hard to get a sniff of the screen.  I think the 2010 experience was a one off, with the amount of dedication they gave to making screening the matches part of the festival entertainment.  My view of it was that, by the Sunday I no longer had any interest in the tournament and was far more focussed on the entertainment elsewhere than to be stood for 2 hours in a field in the baking sun.  We chilled in the shade with smoothies and spliffs within earshot of Ray Davies and Slash instead.

30 minutes ago, MissMollyAnna said:

Yeah I'm sure somewhere will have it on. I don't actually take my normal phone with me to festivals, I take a basic £10 one in case I ever need to get hold of my group. I feel like I'm a minority that does that though? Any advice on taking an iPhone? I don't really want to spend the whole festival charging the thing 

I took my iPhone for the first a couple of years ago. Keep it in a case, don't drop it in a long drop or get it out in a thunderstorm, put it on Flight Mode when you're not using it, and take an Anker battery pack and it's fine. Useful for taking photos, for twitter updates, for Met Office weather reports etc. 

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I think they're likely to screen any England matches, cos otherwise there's the risk of a mass flood of people off site and back on again, and it's probably an easier management job to get in some screens.

Then they'd also have to show any other home nations games, wouldn't they?

If anyone is still in it. 

Not you, Scotland. 

I remember watching 10 minutes of a match in the bar in West Holts (possibly Uruguay) while getting the drinks in and waiting for someone to come on.

Had a conversation with an excitable chap about the England game which was the next day. He couldn't belive I wasn't going to watch it, I couldn't believe he'd rather watch football on a big screen at a festival than live music.

Really wish I'd found him again after the match to discuss his choices :)

i have watched a few games on the big screens, when they have been on the Wednesday or the Thursday

with this being a Saturday surely they won't be showing it on a big screen. maybe a smaller one. I will just miss it to be honest unless I happen to be chilling near a bar showing it

16 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Then they'd also have to show any other home nations games, wouldn't they?

If anyone is still in it. 

Not you, Scotland. 

I know in one of the previous years when they did screens it was specifically the numbers of people who might have gone offsite to watch that was their concern ... and there wouldn't be the same numbers concern with those smaller home nations, so I'm not entirely sure whether they'd be motivated to show them.

If they did, that pretty much requires a dedicated footie screening field too, and I'm not sure they'd have the space to allocate a field to that for the whole fest.

17 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I know in one of the previous years when they did screens it was specifically the numbers of people who might have gone offsite to watch that was their concern ... and there wouldn't be the same numbers concern with those smaller home nations, so I'm not entirely sure whether they'd be motivated to show them.

If they did, that pretty much requires a dedicated footie screening field too, and I'm not sure they'd have the space to allocate a field to that for the whole fest.

Fair point. I hope they don't show any.

12 minutes ago, Boss84 said:

I missed Slash to watch England v Germany in 2010, I regret that decision now.

Me too, won't make the same mistake again.

Watching England Portugal in Euro 2004 on the Pyramid on Thursday night was great though, even though we lost. Reckon me and my mate were the last 2 in the field to realise that Sol Campbell's goal had been disallowed, we were to busy bouncing round in circles hugging lol 

1 minute ago, Junglist1981 said:

Me too, won't make the same mistake again.

Watching England Portugal in Euro 2004 on the Pyramid on Thursday night was great though, even though we lost. Reckon me and my mate were the last 2 in the field to realise that Sol Campbell's goal had been disallowed, we were to busy bouncing round in circles hugging lol 

That was ace. Also remember them showing the Glastonbury crowds reaction to one of the goals at half time. There were more people watching it at Glastonbury than in the actual stadium. 

Helder Postiga. :(