Screening of Euros?

MissMollyAnna

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes it's been catered for, sometimes it hasn't.  It depends how the home teams do and what days it would impact. 

As dentalplan has said, it certainly would be tricky if it affected something which may have been scheduled for months or years.

As for it being permanently catered for, that sounds daft when I believe we could be on the flight home by then?

6 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

100% this.

People seem quite happy for all the other activities to go on in Glastonbury but for some reason football seems to be an activity that people feel the need to vocally disagree with.

if anything, Glastonbury is more suited to showing football than other festivals as there is plenty of other activities going on if you don't like football.

I'm not a rugby fan but if they started showing rugby at Glastonbury I'd simply walk 300 yards in either direction and watch something else,leave them to it.

I think football gets the biggest push back because it's requested the most. If there were call to show rugby or snooker, or the Big Brother final or EastEnders then there would be objections to that too.

The biggest issue for me is that it's not at Glastonbury, it's watching something happening elsewhere on the telly.

Anyway, my personal preference has led me to arguing a case to ban Football, which I really didn't mean to do. I had (and still have) no objections to them doing something similar to 2010 if it was possible. I'm mainly saying to above to try to explain why the festival doesn't have an interest in including Football.

On 15/04/2016 at 9:59 PM, pie_and_a_pint said:

Which brand of wind-up radio do you have, if you don't mind me asking? I'm thinking of getting one but I can't decide what's good and what's not.

Not sure.... I think it was from Black's.   It did the job and for sure.  

I think part of the dislike is down to how hard festival tickets are to get. If you like football that much, you're going to have a great weekend regardless of if you're at Glastonbury or not. Football matches on all the time. Why not stay at home and watch the football, and let someone else have a Glasto ticket?

Obviously the answer is people want to do both, but I can see how that comes across as a little bit selfish.

46 minutes ago, fat_man_joe said:

Jeremy Corbyn, Dalai Lama, The 1975....

Oxfam, Greenpeace, WaterAid.

Permaculture, Green Roadshow, the Candle Powered Boat Stall.

And for that matter..

EE, The Guardian, and every single alcohol brand that has a presence.

On 15/04/2016 at 1:27 PM, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

I mercifully was only 13 at the time so was able to squeeze into a decent spot, atmosphere was pretty good as I remember it too, although due to my age at the time I may well have misremembered through rose tinted specs! At the time I wasn't fussed by the rain all weekend to be fair, didn't bother me a bit.

It was absolutely pissing down during that game in '98 - grim.

In 2010 I stayed to watch Slash and then tried to get into the football field (half time-ish?) but was stopped by security as it was 'full'. Turned around and got back to the Pyramid in time for Ray Davies, armed with a couple of cold ones. That was the right result!

And won't be watching any footie this time round.

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

I think part of the dislike is down to how hard festival tickets are to get. If you like football that much, you're going to have a great weekend regardless of if you're at Glastonbury or not. Football matches on all the time. Why not stay at home and watch the football, and let someone else have a Glasto ticket?

Obviously the answer is people want to do both, but I can see how that comes across as a little bit selfish.

Football is on all the time but the Euros are only on every four years.

Also, telling someone to stay at home if they want to spend 2 of their 120 hours at Glastinbury watching football is simply ludicrous.

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I think football gets the biggest push back because it's requested the most. If there were call to show rugby or snooker, or the Big Brother final or EastEnders then there would be objections to that too.

The biggest issue for me is that it's not at Glastonbury, it's watching something happening elsewhere on the telly.

Anyway, my personal preference has led me to arguing a case to ban Football, which I really didn't mean to do. I had (and still have) no objections to them doing something similar to 2010 if it was possible. I'm mainly saying to above to try to explain why the festival doesn't have an interest in including Football.

All the stuff in the cinema tent isn't at Glastonbury either, you're watching stuff made elsewhere on a big telly.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

I think it's because its inclusion would draw such interest that it would have to come at the cost of something else like a screen in what's usually a camping field, or on a big stage instead of arts, or whatever.

Exactly. I think this is the main issue. I think if the festival had a spare field, some kind of green open space that isn't currently used for anything specific that could be used for the football that would be alright. But since there's not the old cinema field it's hard to think of a suitable space they could hold it, given the amount of people who might want to see it. Especially given its not a pre planned group game, it's a potential second stage game which would have to be planned at short notice.

I do think some of the self righteousness of people about this issue is a bit tiresome too. If there was a match on the Thursday, it could have been a great thing to show just like in 2004 QF, which was a cracking experience despite the result - bigger crowd than in the stadium itself! But otherwise, we can save ourselves a second round game and hope England (or Wales/NI) get through it. 

I'm no football fan but all the rest of my family are and will generally go to some lengths to watch "important" matches.  I have to say that I really quite enjoyed the atmosphere when the match was shown at the Pyramid stage on the Wednesday(?) in 2010.  Sitting in the sun, having a couple of ciders with loads of excited people - it was fun.  There was no way in hell that any of us were missing Slash followed by Ray Davies and so none of our group went to the other match.  My main issue is that I have heard no-one who did go to that match say that they were glad that they did.

Genuine question - is there anyone who can say that they went and it was the right choice for them?

4 minutes ago, mandolin said:

I'm no football fan but all the rest of my family are and will generally go to some lengths to watch "important" matches.  I have to say that I really quite enjoyed the atmosphere when the match was shown at the Pyramid stage on the Wednesday(?) in 2010.  Sitting in the sun, having a couple of ciders with loads of excited people - it was fun.  There was no way in hell that any of us were missing Slash followed by Ray Davies and so none of our group went to the other match.  My main issue is that I have heard no-one who did go to that match say that they were glad that they did.

Genuine question - is there anyone who can say that they went and it was the right choice for them?

The answer might be different if England didn't get battered tbf

I dunno, putting the match aside my overall experience in 2010 puts me off doing it again. A lot of things at play there though, the intense heat, that weird field... Perhaps if the setup is right and I get caught up in the hype I'll be there watching again.

Such a shame England aren't playing on the Wednesday or Thursday though, would of been special. 

Perhaps we should petition for that Italy v Ireland game to get shown on the Pyramid Wednesday night ;)

4 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

Exactly, people are only saying that it was a poor decision because England lost.

if England had won it would have been 'that magical time I watched Engalnd beat Germany in the field at Glastonbury'

Nah, that's just not true at least in my case.

Watching the Football on the Sunday in 2010 wasn't a pleasant experience and that was true regardless of the result / performance. I started regretting my choice well before England conceded and didn't last much past half time.

The field was largely devoid of atmosphere, the screen was nowhere big enough to get into the game. And all the time there was the knowledge that people elsewhere were having a much better time than you. Again, that was well before things got bad.

It's not even comparable to watching a game on the Pyramid Screens on Weds/Thurs, which I've done a few times over the years and would probably do again.

Thing is if England finish 1st or 2nd, we won't play a particularly good team in the R16 most likely. Win the group and we play a 3rd placed team. Come 2nd in the group and we likely play Austria - pretty handy side and capable of beating us, but beating them would hardly be a golden moment and going out to them would just be rubbish. 

So any potential R16 game won't be that exciting an event anyway. That's part of the reason I'm even less fussed about watching it. If it were quarter final onwards that'd be different. 

Just now, arcade fireman said:

Thing is if England finish 1st or 2nd, we won't play a particularly good team in the R16 most likely. Win the group and we play a 3rd placed team. Come 2nd in the group and we likely play Austria - pretty handy side and capable of beating us, but beating them would hardly be a golden moment and going out to them would just be rubbish. 

So any potential R16 game won't be that exciting an event anyway. That's part of the reason I'm even less fussed about watching it. If it were quarter final onwards that'd be different. 

Yeah exactly.

The way I look at it, there's only 2 possible outcomes here, and neither of them justify missing any Festival time whatsoever. Either we lose and it spoils the day for me, or we win and I can look forward to the next game when I get home.

Personally It's doubtful they'll show Wales so I don't know why I'm in the debate

As a Wales fan,major football tournaments have never interfered with my festivals before, ha ha.

If they show the Wales game, I'll watch it.Ill be paying 0% attention to the 'football shouldn't be at Glastonbury' crew.

The way I look at it, unless it's up against a Led Zep reunion or something, whchever band I miss to watch the game I'll be able to see at another time.