Reusable pint glasses

brettredmayne

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They do this at Deershed Festival in Yorkshire and it works like a dream. Albeit on on much smaller scale. On the last day you can exchange your re-usable pint glass for a plastic pint glass with the official festival logo, which is yours to keep, so there is an incentive to look after your glass during the festival. The sight of crushed, muddy cardboard pint glasses everywhere is something that nobody wants to see. The empty food cartons on the other hand...... 

my only concern is that I don't know if I want to carry it round when i'm not using it, would I be able to return it at any point and get my £5 back? if so will they have a dedicated returns stall or will it be a case of queuing at the bar?

I do really like the idea of not drinking out of a plastic cup though :) 

Good idea, they do something similar at Shambala.

"When they need a refill, they will be able to swap their cup for a fresh one, and dirty pint mugs will be taken off site to a cleaning depot near Wells and then returned to the site, for reuse."

Shame they can't clean them on site really. Would be much greener than driving them off then back on site. Still, a good start. I'm sure the litter picking teams of Glastonbury will rejoice!

Edited by big__phil

9 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Scrotes nicking them to get your £5 might be a problem.....

At Kendal Calling there are gangs of kids going round picking up plastic bottles and cups to take back to the bar for the 10p deposit.

three years ago, I thought it was sweet, two year ago, adults were joining in as it was a mudbath. Last year adults were going round Fagin like getting the kids to pick up so they could get a pint! It's filthy work when it's six inches deep in mud.

I like the idea of the metal ones (till drunken idiots piss in them and throw them)

39 minutes ago, big__phil said:

Shame they can't clean them on site really. Would be much greener than driving them off then back on site. Still, a good start. I'm sure the litter picking teams of Glastonbury will rejoice!

I'm fairly sure they considered this, but the amount of cleaning required would of course need a significant water supply and power etc... This may be the best solution for now. Perhaps in the future they'll have lorries loaded with industrial dishwashers to support it.

I for one am 100% for this.

No fucking litter! No fucking excuse!

46 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

hope they'll make cardboard carriers to carry 4 of the buggers in! don't fancy the multiple trips to and forth from the bar.

Stick one of these in your pocket and you're good to go 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CarryAround-Fold-Coffee-Carrier-Drinks/dp/B00UJD3D2K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460622794&sr=8-1&keywords=beer+carrier

34 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

I hope they've used Welsh steel....

They were made in Birmingham apparently 

"It would have been a lot cheaper to have them made in China, but Michael Eavis wanted to support the British steel industry, and what we got was much higher, more consistent quality. The difference is clear in the quality of the steel"

18 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I'm fairly sure they considered this, but the amount of cleaning required would of course need a significant water supply and power etc... This may be the best solution for now. Perhaps in the future they'll have lorries loaded with industrial dishwashers to support it.

I for one am 100% for this.

No fucking litter! No fucking excuse!

yup they did Lucy wanted to launch them last year, a bit more here:

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/16/160414a.shtml

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

they had plastic ones with the logo etc on last year didn't they? or was that only backstage?

Backstage bars only, and I think not all of them complied with the scheme. Although a decent number of cups found their way into the general populace and they sold them on the web site after the Festival.

I thought a quid deposit was well worth the money (especially as some of the staff bars are about a quid a pint cheaper than the public ones), and kept a few which are now used as regular cups.

The WBC tried to bring a similar idea to Glastonbury following the system they started at Latitude July 2006 {and used every year since}

its a reusable cup although ' none are washed onsite ' but GFL rejected it for some reason or the other.

The way that works is - you pay a deposit and can either retain the cup or hand it back - you end up with a new cup but you don't have to pay the deposit.

There is also small ' cup return stations ' so you don't have to carry it about all day.

drawbacks are ' it takes up huge amount of space ' as you need space for new cups and returned cups.

The returned cups are then returned to a plant for sterilization - they are never washed on site.

its a huge operation and it will be interesting to see how they manage it.

I know that the WBC was advised by local officials at Latitude that they could not refill a cup handed back to them so that may upset a few people - the customer can do the refilling but the bar staff wont.

I know it has been a great success at Latitude for Customers but it did increase the operationally cost for the WBC. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.