Reusable pint glasses

brettredmayne

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

That would be fine - it's a swap scheme, you don't get to keep your cup.

Ahh nice. What about the people who don't want to pay a fiver for the cup (not me) or is it mandatory for all the main bars, if you know? 

On 4/21/2016 at 7:22 AM, chrislfc said:

Some bright spark should design an insulation glove for the steel cup like what you get in places like Thailand when you buy a bottle in a bar.

Anyone in the industry fancy coming on Dragon's Den with me?  

I reckon Deborah would be right up for it.

I'm actually extremely busy making some from recycled fabrics at the moment. They will be for sale at the Water Aid stand in the Park, and possibly other places on site. Mine have a clip so you can clip it to your belt loop or bag until you get to the next bar. Not sure of cost yet. I'd be interested to know what sort of price you'd all be willing to pay?

Great idea!  I have no idea how much it will cost you to make or the time involved in you doing it so please, please forgive me if I completely underestimate your efforts but I would probably pay around a tenner for something that would last me for the festival and be a nice (but not useful) souvenir.  Up to £20 if it had uses afterwards or was particularly pretty.  I really hope that's helpful.

4 hours ago, themuel said:

So if you have one and buy another drink you swap it for a new one. If you just give it back do you get a £5 refund?

its a # £5 deposit # So yes you will get your money back but its not clear at this time what system they will be using .

+ keep in your head that 8/9ths { a rough figure counting all the bars at Glastonbury }  of the bars are not in the scheme

this has been repeated at other festivals { if you leave out the metal cup } some will issue a refund at the bar but others will use a collection point. 

Why ? to save you time - there should be less of a queue at a collection point { if they decide to use that system }

I am sure the whole process will be included in the 2016 Programme although I am sure there will be lots of people showing up at bars that are not within the scheme asking for their money back.

Its only a Trial so there will be lots of people who will be walking about with a Paper Cup.

I also suspect that many people will not return them and 250,000 steel cups will not last long .

I doubt many will be taken away to this cleaning depot near Wells ' and returned to the site ' as that alone is a massive operation.

I will if I get the chance try to find out how many every left the site { during the festival }

I am glad I am not working in a public bar as that will become the most common question ' Do you have any steel cups left ? '

It's gonna turn into a wombling session I reckon like at Twickenham Stadium - they do a fan cup scheme there except the cups are plastic not steel and have designs printed on them. I have a rugby World Cup one from when I went to the quarter finals, a standard Guinness one from a Quins game and a world sevens one at home. At the end you give back cups and you get £1 for each. When I went to the quarter final me and my girlfriends brother walked up and down about 10 rows and found 29 discarded cups - we won our tickets but the £29 we got back paid for our pints! I sense the same this year as they are worth a fiver so make sure you don't leave your cup lying around on the floor - I guarantee you someone will take it knowing it's worth a fiver to them. When they return it.

I've always wondered why G don't do what R&L did for at least 1 year - they added 10p to the cost of a pint for the cardboard cup and if you returned it you didn't pay the 10p again. Even for 10p people were stacking cups as high as they could get them and returning shitloads of them. I say 50p deposit for each cardboard cup and I guarantee you you wouldn't find even ONE left lying around after the festival. 

Edited by mungo57

38 minutes ago, mungo57 said:

It's gonna turn into a wombling session I reckon like at Twickenham Stadium - they do a fan cup scheme there except the cups are plastic not steel and have designs printed on them. I have a rugby World Cup one from when I went to the quarter finals, a standard Guinness one from a Quins game and a world sevens one at home. At the end you give back cups and you get £1 for each. When I went to the quarter final me and my girlfriends brother walked up and down about 10 rows and found 29 discarded cups - we won our tickets but the £29 we got back paid for our pints! I sense the same this year as they are worth a fiver so make sure you don't leave your cup lying around on the floor - I guarantee you someone will take it knowing it's worth a fiver to them. When they return it.

I've always wondered why G don't do what R&L did for at least 1 year - they added 10p to the cost of a pint for the cardboard cup and if you returned it you didn't pay the 10p again. Even for 10p people were stacking cups as high as they could get them and returning shitloads of them. I say 50p deposit for each cardboard cup and I guarantee you you wouldn't find even ONE left lying around after the festival. 

I guarantee you would!  You've already said yourself that even when people had paid £1, 29 people in one row left theirs behind!

2 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

I guarantee you would!  You've already said yourself that even when people had paid £1, 29 people in one row left theirs behind!

Rugby fans are a different animal.

and there weren't any left on the floor - people went round same as us to get the money. That's my point if they put an incentive on it it would almost eliminate the problem you'd be bound to have people picking hundreds of them up and exchanging them and getting loads of 50ps for them

Back when I was a young Mountie we used to always go camping on the bank holiday (we didn't call them that) weekends that marked the start and end of summer. It was a lot like a festival but with more beer and less music.

Anyway back in those ancient times beer came in bottles called "stubbies" All beer had to come in those standard bottles and they were all returnable for a substantial deposit to be reused.

As a result the kids on the site, and some of the adults would put a lot of effort into collecting the empties and the campsites were entirely bottle free at the end of the weekend.

Now I realise glass is a non-starter at Glaso, but I wouldn't sell short any kinds of deposit scheme. Even if it's 10p deposit on a pint there will be someone out collecting cups.

5 hours ago, mungo57 said:

Cup Deposit at Reading and Leeds were running for at least for the past ten years  but GFL rejected that plan and also the reusable cup plan - Yes for sure it did reduce the amount of litter but GFL had their own reasons to reject it.One advantage there was only one bar operator at Reading/Leeds and Latitude so it did not matter which Bar you returned the cups to - by limiting this to ten bars { and they wont be the Main Bars } this is bound to cause a lot of confusing as people will find out when the event opens.

2 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

Cup Deposit at Reading and Leeds were running for at least for the past ten years  but GFL rejected that plan and also the reusable cup plan - Yes for sure it did reduce the amount of litter but GFL had their own reasons to reject it.One advantage there was only one bar operator at Reading/Leeds and Latitude so it did not matter which Bar you returned the cups to - by limiting this to ten bars { and they wont be the Main Bars } this is bound to cause a lot of confusing as people will find out when the event opens.

Makes sense. I forget all the bars aren't run by the same vendor. 

• 11 months later...
12 minutes ago, mandana said:

does anyone have any info about whether they will be doing the steel cups for 2017? i have mine from last year just wondering if i should pack it or get another!

Pretty sure you could add one when paying your balance. If you already have one, just take it to reuse as this is why they had them made. :)

23 minutes ago, mandana said:

does anyone have any info about whether they will be doing the steel cups for 2017? i have mine from last year just wondering if i should pack it or get another!

Yes, they're confirmed coming back:

https://twitter.com/GlastoFest/status/865179296708603904

Edited by GlastoEls

wicked, thanks for your replies both, i think that was a steel bottle in the ticket price stonecircle which is excellent too!

lets hope this will impact a fair bit on litter levels. now i just have to decide if i want to pack my original, or get another to bring home.

2 hours ago, mandana said:

now i just have to decide if i want to pack my original, or get another to bring home.

I'm keeping mine from last year at home and getting a new one at the festival to use and then keep it company when I return. They really make beer and ale taste good don't they!