not-Glastonbury 2018

eFestivals

There's several reports flying around today of Michael having mentioned a festival being held in 2018 but not on Worthy Farm.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/glastonbury-festival-to-take-place-outside-of-glastonbury-in-2018-michael-eavis-hints-a6981791.html

This same thing came up a year or so back, so it looks like it#'s probably going to happen.

That Independent article say "outside of Somerset" ... while it's only a guess I'm wondering if it might be at Longleat as I've heard they're keen to do something there. Then again, maybe it'll be at Matterley Bowl where Boomtown is held as I know that's been looked at a few times over the years.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if it would be a smaller sized festivals something maybe similar to boomtown concentrating more on the after hours activity, I think it would be strange to stage a full festival away from worthy farm

but it's something I would definitely get behind 

Just now, kingcrawler said:

What sort of thing do you think it would be? Just a scaled down Glastonbury or maybe something that focuses on a few areas?

i reckon it'll be an off-the-shelf music festival to a large degree, tho because they'll have the Glasto staff and traders to call on it might be better done than some others.

I have a good friend who told me a story the other day that i though was bullshit, but you mentioning longleat has made me think again. We live not far from longleat. He said that someone who comes in to his bar quite a bit was involved with the Eavis' plans to move the festival to longleat from 2018! Theres thousands of acres which have festival potential and plans are already far down the line supposedly. I doubt the original site in pilton would be lost so soon, but going back to last july when the rumours about moving were rife, it definitely seems like the game os afoot.

Natural reaction - please don't. 

Maybe if it's a one off event type thing.. but if it's all Glastonbury branded or trying to recreate it or somewhere else, it feels me with dread. Something just doesn't sit comfotably with me about it, not sure I can explain why. <awaits scorn>

I wonder if they'll try to transplant some areas/stages from Glastonbury.

I could see JP + Other, perhaps even Glade working elsewhere.  W Holt too (name aside). But the Pyramid without that huge amphitheatre? The Park without the view of the festival? The Stone Circle? Acoustic without being somewhere awful ? ;)

It's certainly an interesting challenge.  Pyramid seems the hardest and arguably most important of all the stages to transplant, if they try to do a mini-Glastonbury at all, that is.  I'll be watching with great interest.

3 minutes ago, Yokel Again said:

Maybe if it's a one off event type thing.. but if it's all Glastonbury branded or trying to recreate it or somewhere else, it feels me with dread. Something just doesn't sit comfotably with me about it, not sure I can explain why. <awaits scorn>

I think a lot of us feel the same way.  The festival is so tied up with the land and the family history.  It feels special because it's been there for 46 years and because it's in the festival organisers back yard.  Can any of the magic be moved?

1 minute ago, Yokel Again said:

Yeah, that would be a worry.

Part of me would be very curious to see what they would do, just for a year, with the festival in a different place. I'd hope they do something very different with it, rather than just plonk a giant Pyramid in the middle of Longleat or something. There's a lot of potential for something very interesting and special if it's just a one-off. The Eavii created the best festival on the planet, so I'm sure they would be able to do something interesting.

Imagine the sense of discovery again? It will feel like the first time again for everyone. 

Just now, shuttlep said:

in my head i scream don;t do it

take a year off it'snot the end of the world

As I understand it (might be totally ill-informed, others may know better) It's because of the pressure from the neighbours to charge more for field rental.  Removing the fallow is a nice financial side-benefit, but IMHO this is more about sending a message that more and more cash cannot be indefinitely extracted from the festival.

I have someone saying to me that Emily doesn't want the festival in her back garden any more, but I really don't think that's it. I doubt she'd have had festie offices built on the farm if that was the case.

My understanding is that it's to help cover the costs of the greater number of full time staff the fest employs nowadays to in the past, as having them mostly idle for a year isn't practical.

Just musing on this, initial thought was; if it is Longleat for this one off (or possible move), then it could be a bit of headache few a couple of reasons; transport links, Centreparcs may object, impact on visitors to the House/Grounds/Safari park.  

But on further thought, actually it does make sense, it has 1000s of acres to use - all under 1 land owner, lots of beautiful scenery and wooded areas - the view from Heaven's Gate demonstrates this perfectly, transport links are no worse than to Pilton - arguably better, Centreparcs could see it as an opportunity to provide off site alternative accommodation and the impact to say closing the house/park would be more than outweighed by the income.

Only thing with Matterley/Punch Bowl is I find it a soulless place, having been there for several different festivals.

Interesting to see what develops on this story.

What with all the different twitters for each area etc - it def feels like different sections of the festival are sort of branded. (Forgive my lack of knowing the proper industry terms for these things)... Arcadia cropping up in the middle of city centres etc. I'm not sure I like the idea of a separate event being related to it.

do the ley lines and mysticism and all that jazz count for nothing. It really concerns me! Hopefully to be proved otherwise. I certainly wish the Eavis's nothing but the best for anything they do, in many ways their festival has changed my life... just hope it's not a regrettable decision! 

I agree with the view that if they simply try to pick the whole festival up and move it down the road it would be disaster. My biggest concern is that it's impossible to artificially recreate the magic that has built up over almost 50 years on that site. Any attempt to do so would just feel wrong. 

The only way to do it would be a brand new festival with whole new identity.