not-Glastonbury 2018

eFestivals

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Actually, I think that *peak festival* has been and gone a few years back.  Smaller ones seem to be doing OK, but I think some of the larger ones like TITP and IOW are struggling to sell tickets.

I'd go to *Peak Festival*

I haven't read every post so sorry if Im repeating something but last year Michael talked about difficulties adjacent land owners asking for more and more money and thus not making it viable.  I wondered if he was just saying it to make them think that they could loose out altogether if he moved the whole festival permanently.

Just for the record, I wouldn't go if it wasn't there as I don't go for the big stages I go for the vibe of the place.  Unless he can build a Tor and recreate the power of the stone circle it just wont be the same.  Hope it doesn't happen.  I don't mind a year off.

Been every year since 2002 and this year was the first year we didn't get tickets in October.  Fortunately we were sucessful on Sunday.  Thankfully xx

9 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

the Eavii created it in the first place (in about 1990-ish). There's no reason why they couldn't create it again.

But not overlooking the festival and the sunrise.  I know its not been there since the year dot and I'm not that spiritual,  but it just works

1405019727_p1000911-1024x768.jpg

4 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

So why assume that the people that figured out where to put it to do just that can't come up with something equally cool somewhere else?

I'd be inclined to think that they could come up with something even cooler, given the experience they've had with Worthy Farm.

42 minutes ago, russycarps said:

but how many of the people who made glastonbury what it is are still involved with the festival now?

What it is today is an accumulation of many, many different people's ideas over a period of many, many years isnt it? 

Well the vast majority of the festival is still actively run by people. The stone circle is an oddity as it's something that's just there and doesn't involve any work. But the nature reserve is looked after by one group of people, Permaculture is another, every small stage is booked and run by someone else... it's people behind everything.

Assuming the ethos stays the same - ie. these people are invited to do something cool at the new festival, rather than adopting a new top-down structure, it should be great.

Yeah, it won't have the strength of tradition behind it, and I couldn't care less. It's like when a band play their upcoming single live and half the crowd talk through it, and some yell out for the old hits. Then a year down the line the single has come out and that's the song people are yelling for when the band play the next new single...

20 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Well the vast majority of the festival is still actively run by people. The stone circle is an oddity as it's something that's just there and doesn't involve any work. But the nature reserve is looked after by one group of people, Permaculture is another, every small stage is booked and run by someone else... it's people behind everything.

Assuming the ethos stays the same - ie. these people are invited to do something cool at the new festival, rather than adopting a new top-down structure, it should be great.

Yeah, it won't have the strength of tradition behind it, and I couldn't care less. It's like when a band play their upcoming single live and half the crowd talk through it, and some yell out for the old hits. Then a year down the line the single has come out and that's the song people are yelling for when the band play the next new single...

I'd say it's more like when a band replace their lead singer, then their guitarist, then the drummer, then the bass player, but they retain the original band name

12 minutes ago, russycarps said:

I'd say it's more like when a band replace their lead singer, then their guitarist, then the drummer, then the bass player, but they retain the original band name

When that happens, then by law they should change the band name to Trigger's Broom.

23 minutes ago, russycarps said:

But as you say, that's already happened over the years, and you've been relatively happy about it. But now they've announced they're going buy all new instruments to play on the next tour and suddenly it's an issue.

17 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

But as you say, that's already happened over the years, and you've been relatively happy about it. But now they've announced they're going buy all new instruments to play on the next tour and suddenly it's an issue.

Yep, everything happening all at once is exactly what is worrying.

It's impossible to design a festival from top to bottom all in one go and expect it to be anything like as good as something that has evolved over decades from such a diverse range of sources. That's an advantage glastonbury has always had over the opposition.

Just because it's not as good doesn't mean it can't be fantastic.

And indeed, that they're running this as a fallow year thing, with the speculation being it could become permanent or even replace the Worthy festival in time, suggests they're doing just that slow build up.

The festival as we know it cannot be moved but this doesn't mean they can't create another amazing event, I would go but I wouldn't expect it to be Glastonbury, it's obviously going to be brilliant though, already worrying about getting tickets. 
Charm x

• 1 month later...