VW T4 campervan field requirements

MrsSarge

Hello! This year will be our first time at Glastonbury, and we're coming in our VW T4. It's not a full fancy pants conversion but does have a proper rock 'n' roll bed, fitted cupboards which have been adapted so we can use our camping stove inside safely (although we prefer to cook outside). Can any glasto campervan veterans or other T4 drivers tell me if they think this will meet the glasto fitted cooking/washing facility requirements? And does anyone have any top tips? Sorry if this has been asked before :rolleyes:

"What counts as ‘suitable fitted facilities’ in a camper/caravan?
Your campervan/caravan MUST have purpose-built fitted sleeping facilities and either fitted cooking or washing facilities. Any converted vehicles must clearly be live-in vehicles. This does not mean simply a van with a piece of foam cut to size for a bed, and a bucket for washing! "

The rules seem pretty clear - a camping stove is not a fitted cooking facility do you have a plumbed sink (with fresh water and waste tank)? If you don't it might be wise to add one or the other prior to the festival, it will be my first time with a self converted van so i've given this a lot of thought, I don't know how strict they are in practice but i wouldn't want to give them an excuse to reject me. Does the van have windows? I.E. does it look like a campervan or a regular van. I'm sure there are plenty of T4 campers there so if it looks like the rest they may not check too carefully, maybe some regulars might give us a idea?

Thanks @gizmomanthat's what I'm worried about, I saw the requirement for fitted cooking or washing. To be fair our metal fitted cupboard does have a purpose made hole in the top to allow for the gas pipe of the camping stove to go through and the double burner camping stove then sits on top. We just don't like having cooking smell in the van because it's not a pop-top and doesn't have a second side window. My other half is adament it will be ok as it is but I'm fretting. It has one large side window, is fully insulated and carpetted, has recessed lights in the ceiling. It's obvious that it's not a work type van and purely for leisure use. I'll dig out a picture. I'd really like a glasto regular to let me know what they reckon!?!

Edited by MrsSarge

We used to take a T4 (Bilbo's Celeste, so a pro conv.)

Although we were obviously checked/searched on arrival for glass/contraband and the like, no one ever checked our 'facilities'.

I suspect your van will be fine, it's not an empty panel van after all... Maybe someone else can confirm ?

• 3 weeks later...
On 13 April 2016 at 11:45 AM, MrsSarge said:

Thank you @Nice hymer fingers crossed or we'll be stuffed!

On 13 April 2016 at 11:42 AM, Nice hymer said:

We used to take a T4 (Bilbo's Celeste, so a pro conv.)

Although we were obviously checked/searched on arrival for glass/contraband and the like, no one ever checked our 'facilities'.

I suspect your van will be fine, it's not an empty panel van after all... Maybe someone else can confirm ?

Interested to know how thorough your search was as they have only just opened the side door and that was it on the last couple of time we have been.  

@rnoble327 our search has never been too thorough, although we do travel with kids so perhaps less suspect ?

There is always a pile of bottles on the way in though, so clearly confiscation does happen.

We did raise an eyebrow when they opened the cutlery drawer and found several large knives... it's a 'live in' vehicle after all, what did they expect ??

Always worth stashing everything regardless, just incase...

I'm pretty sure they're primarily interested in whether you have glass bottles or is it just a transit with a mattress in the back. 

You have a bed and a stove, whether you use the latter or not is not something that should come up in conversation, so you comply fully as far as I see.

On 30/04/2016 at 9:35 AM, rnoble327 said:

Interested to know how thorough your search was as they have only just opened the side door and that was it on the last couple of time we have been.  

Stewards have always come in my motorhome to look round properly, even checking the wine boxes. I think that's a combination of looking for glass and drug packages to sneak in. They've checked some of the cupboards but all the booze is out on the open, and I tell them (honestly) that we're not carrying glass. Having said that, the search has only been about 5 minutes. However, we have a hob and shower, so that complies; I think you should be OK with the van as it is.

Edited by carlosj

We've taken caravans, motorhomes, campervans and trailer tents over the years and as we drive in we offer a cheery "No glass - but you're welcome to check."  No one ever has.  I think if you appear to know the ropes you are less likely to be troubled.  I think the same probably applies to cooking and other facilities.

the requirements for this field is usually a T4 VW old son

unless you have a T5 in which case youll have to go to another field or if like ME you have a BEDFORD CF you get to camp inside right next to the JP stage ........I KNOW WHICH ONE I WOULD PREFER