Bars

marathonsteve

3 hours ago, danbailey80 said:

Really? Sounds great. Where is this..?

Also an above post mentioned that lager is more expensive at the offical WBC bars, but where else can you get lager for less..? 

Somewhere in the Greenpeace field, think it might be staff only though unless it's dark enough to slip by unnoticed.

Big roaring fire and a selection of nice ales.

Just say The Dalai Lama sent you.

Edited by chrislfc

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, thatcrazypenguin said:

Loved the bar that sold real ale last year-was it the cornish arms? or something along those lines? my favorite ale...tribute from st austell brewery, on tap cant beat it :) 

yeah that was the Cornish Arms, great bar :)

17 minutes ago, verrymerry said:

The Small World tent sold elderflower champagne, it's not a bar but it was the only alcohol I could find in the Greenfields, so worth noting

oooohhhh sounds interesting :)

I like the Organic wine place too but last year they only sold liqueur so was a bit gutted tbh

8 hours ago, Stone Roses Fan said:

The bars sound amazing to be fair. The only thing im concerned about is the selection of beer. I will be taking my own but for the moments i want to buy a cold one i don't really fancy a tuborg or an ale. Do they do any others? Although the idea of 3 ciders for a tenner at the brothers bar sounds very appealing and also very dangerous!

There's at William's Green that does Grimbergen Blonde, lovely Belgian beer.

Managing newbie expectations alert! 

Despite it sounding like there are a lot of great bars on site - and there are a lot of great bars - be aware that these are in the minority. Most of the time when you're trying to get a pint you'll have a choice of Tuborg and Thatcher's Gold. And whilst Gold isn't quite Strongbow, it's not a million miles off. 

And the prices aren't brilliant either.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

And to add to above about most of the big main bars, generally they'll have one kind of ale, which the last couple of years has been Bath ales' perfectly perfunctory Gem. It's a best bitter which is alright. Can't say more than that. 

18 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Managing newbie expectations alert! 

Despite it sounding like there are a lot of great bars on site - and there are a lot of great bars - be aware that these are in the minority. Most of the time when you're trying to get a pint you'll have a choice of Tuborg and Thatcher's Gold. And whilst Gold isn't quite Strongbow, it's not a million miles off. 

And the prices aren't brilliant either.

To any cider-lovers outside of the South West, Gold is exactly what is says on the tin.

Tuborg on the other hand...

56 minutes ago, fat_man_joe said:

To any cider-lovers outside of the South West, Gold is exactly what is says on the tin.

Tuborg on the other hand...

Well I'm outside the SW and Gold is a fairly bog-standard fizzy bland cider to me. Then again, I'm fairly into my cider.

59 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

And to add to above about most of the big main bars, generally they'll have one kind of ale, which the last couple of years has been Bath ales' perfectly perfunctory Gem. It's a best bitter which is alright. Can't say more than that. 

Forgot about the ales. Gem is nice, although I'm rarely in the mood for ale at a festival.

You can of course get vodka, red bull etc too.

As a first timer to glasto this year I was just perusing this site and was about to ask about bars and after hours activities on site. I don't need to ask now.  A very concise and hugely informative thread!! 

To say I'm a tad excited is a huge understatement.. 

That's exactly why I put the 'Festival Bars' at the top of the list. These bars are everywhere and will have the list that I posted, sometimes the queues can be quite bad, especially at busy times when acts are on. 

But the other great thing about the festival is you can take your own booze with you and have a cold drink once in a while. That's lovely on a hot day when your struggling to stomach another warm drink from your bag :)

9 minutes ago, andyb66 said:

As a first timer to glasto this year I was just perusing this site and was about to ask about bars and after hours activities on site. I don't need to ask now.  A very concise and hugely informative thread!! 

To say I'm a tad excited is a huge understatement.. 

http://www.glastoearth.com/the-faq this is a very good website for your basic Glastonbury information, to get you started. After hours could fill a whole other thread.

Shangri-La - the festival's legendary after-hours area. Finding things yourself is an important part of Shangri-La. It has nano venues, performers, installations, artwork etc. It usually has a theme, that normally lasts for about 3 - 4 festivals. It changes annually expanding on the story and theme. It's a brilliant area where you're sort of set into a film-set, it's a wonderful designed area which is built by over 1,500 crew and artists.

Block9

Open from sunset to sunrise. Lots of soundsystems, underground nightclubs, bars, art installations and alternative performance. Set designs here boggle the mind when you first see them. The crew who builds it has given people everything from a 50 foot tower block with a tube train burst through it, to an underworld verison of NYC. (moustaches required for entry)

Unfairground

Nightmare party is the easiest way to describe it. It's a psychedelic circus horror show. You'll find Bez's Acid House. Always has a good line-up - 12 - 6am opening times.

The Common

A Latin / Mayans themed area. Here you will find venues such as the Temple - which has a giant tomato fight on the Sunday evening. Along with other wonderful venues, some have there own bars and like many venues, all have there own acts playing throughout the weekend.

Arcadia

The Beat Hotel

Found next to the Pyramid stage, food, booze and DJ's. Large tent of a venue, always busy and always fun.

I think it's fair to say that if you've never been to glasto you really don't know what happens at glasto.. 

This thread has certainly opened my eyes as to what I can expect. I may have to start listening to a bit of house/trance/acid !!!!

19 minutes ago, andyb66 said:

This thread has certainly opened my eyes as to what I can expect. I may have to start listening to a bit of house/trance/acid !!!!

Stick this playlist of all the acts from all the stages (alright, most of them) on random for a sample of all the different stuff you'll hear all over the festival, from folk to acid house, from grime to jazz...

31 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Stick this playlist of all the acts from all the stages (alright, most of them) on random for a sample of all the different stuff you'll hear all over the festival, from folk to acid house, from grime to jazz...

I'll do just that. I'm a big fan of Muse,Foals ELO.. Not so much the 'dance' side of the festival. But I'm quietly confident I'll soon get in the swing of things.

Not sure if it's been mentioned; real ale bar up near Acoustic, lovely range of ales, including some good SW brews.   Also Thatchers craft cider bars with some of their more traditional ciders, Cheddar Valley (red), Traditional etc.  Presume this year, it's still Otter Brewery as the main ale supplier across the site(?), with Otter Ale and Bitter rebadged to a Glastonbury theme.

5 minutes ago, andyb66 said:

I'll do just that. I'm a big fan of Muse,Foals ELO.. Not so much the 'dance' side of the festival. But I'm quietly confident I'll soon get in the swing of things.

Nor was I when I first went, but there's a time and a place for everything, and Glastonbury is the time and the place for lots of things!

The playlist should help get your ears accustomed to a few of your less usual genres.

18 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Nor was I when I first went, but there's a time and a place for everything, and Glastonbury is the time and the place for lots of things!

The playlist should help get your ears accustomed to a few of your less usual genres.

I can't say too much how marvellous your playlist is, tis bloody great :D