Bars

marathonsteve

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, marathonsteve said:

Take ID if you look under 18

In fact that is not Good advice as the Bars operate 'Challenge 21' although in practice most people who are 25 or under are likely to be asked as most bar staff are advised not to take any risks.

I offered my new ID in Morrison's a few years ago. The lady laughed and laughed and laughed. She had a twinkle in her eye that told me this was the highlight of her day, and quite possibly the funniest thing she'd heard all week if not the year.

Must be because I look so wise.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

18 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I offered my new ID in Morrison's a few years ago. The lady laughed and laughed and laughed. She had a twinkle in her eye that told me this was the highlight of her day, and quite possibly the funniest thing she'd heard all week if not the year.

Must be because I look so wise.

Were you wearing a couple dodgy hats in the photo/in the queue?

Can anyone point me in the direction of some of the best bars to visit?

Always see people say things like "I ended up in a bar singing to beatles songs" (Just an example) But all the bars I seemed to go in last year were empty with very little music in.

1 minute ago, J1990 said:

Always see people say things like "I ended up in a bar singing to beatles songs" (Just an example) But all the bars I seemed to go in last year were empty with very little music in.

Thought the Chameleon Bar last year had some fun stuff on the wednesday and thursday nights. My "Busted table boogie" occured in a bar that was on the way out of West Holts (I think on the friday night). Of course there are the regular entertainment bars like the Stonebridge and Bimble Inn both of which are in The Park.

Also the Wine bars (which are awful) are brilliant at keeping customers by playing fun and happy choons. I have spent many a late hour having a dance and a sing song outside those cheese factories.

The cocktail bar between the Circus and Theatre fields also played some "very good" music last year.  When Guilty Pleasures had to close early, we ended up down there singing and dancing to 70s disco amongst other things. 

Edited by Greenelk

37 minutes ago, J1990 said:

the bar up by the acoustic stage, got a nice cold pint of Guinness from the tap. struggled to find it before then. As said tho Chameleon bar tends to have the odd tune playing to have the odd dance. 

Ridge and furrow was playing some cracking tunes on the Thursday last year, great atmosphere. I remember the recorded skipped and the whole crowd instantly started booing and then a huge cheer and back to signing along after it was fixed very funny stuff

In 2013 I went to get a couple of cold beers for me and my wife from the Other Stage bar at about 1pm one day. It was quiet and I got asked for ID, I didn't have any, and they wouldn't serve me despite me being 35 years old with a beard! I went back to my wife and she had to go and get them (she had ID). Ridiculous. That was the only time it happened though. So I'd advise anyone looking under 25 to take ID just in case.

Let me attempt to put together a longer list of bars around the site - this will not be all of them, but I figured people can add to the list and it might be useful for future reference :)

Bar, clubs List

There are many different bars at the festival, you get you 'typical' bars that are festival bars and the larger bars with a theme that have a tent built. There is lots of choice in both themes and different atmospheres along with different drinks offered. A lot of them open from Wednesday afternoon depending on the area they are in. Some areas are closed until Thursday evening.

Festival Bars

These are typically found near the main stages and are 'run of the mill' bars that you find at most festivals. They are run by the Workers' Beer Company (WBC). They are more accessible especially near the main areas but tend to me a little more pricey. (prices based on memory)

- Tuborg - £4.30
- Gaymers - £4.50
- Real Ale - from £4.00
- Smirnoff Ice - £4.50
- Spirits with a mixer - £4.50
- Wine - £5.00 a glass

Wine Bars

There are a couple of these around the site, they have a big green inflatable bottle on them. Prices are about £5 for a glass.

Cider bus

Just off the main market area near the south entrance to the Pyramid Field. This is one of the most famous buses at Glastonbury. The company has been selling the Somerset Cider at the festival since the first event and they now have a bright blue cider bus, considered one of the landmarks at the festival.

Cider is £3.50 
Mulled cider - £4.00

Brothers Bar

Located in West Holts field, ylou will find lots of flavours of cider available. They change from year to year. Its £3.60 a pint or 3 pints for £10.

Rock the kasbah

A Moroccan themed bar. It has lots of rich colours and fabrics, cushioned seating area. Located on the main walkway, opens early and closes around 2am. It has seating for about 200 - 250 people, it is a Kasbah space.

Chameleon

Located in the main walkway. It has a multicolored ceiling and lots of furniture. Usually has resident DJs and closes at 3am.

Bimble Inn

Unique structure made from cavas and wood, ancient tipi desigin with a modern twist. It uses green energy, with every aspect designed to operate with the lowest power. The venue consumes less power than a kettle. The inside is fab, lots of drapes, a LED fairy lights at night. Can be found at The Park. Has a full cocktail bar, real ales, local cider and stowford press on tap. Bands playing throughout the weekend. Seating area included.

Stonebridge Bar

Located in The Park. It's a place to see lots of DJs playing lots of different music. Baggy Mondays and Hip Hop Karaoke sessions are found here. Opens Wednesday and DJs and acts on from Thursday till about 3am.

Rabbit Hole

Located in The Park area. Another magically bar to see DJs acts and drink cocktails.

Deluxe Diner & Rocket Lounge

Set in Shangri-la. It has some great food during the day, by night is is a full jive, rock and roll, disco funk area.

Silent Discos

There are two. One in the Park area. The other in Silver Hayes.

I have missed plenty but you get the idea... 

9 minutes ago, sheffieldlady said:

Let me attempt to put together a longer list of bars around the site - this will not be all of them, but I figured people can add to the list and it might be useful for future reference :)

SNIP

Great writeup.  

I didn't realise that the Silent Discos had bars in them (although I've probably bought beers in them and forgotten).  I think it's probably quite safe to say that the Cider Bus is actually the most famous bus in the festival!

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Great writeup.  

I didn't realise that the Silent Discos had bars in them (although I've probably bought beers in them and forgotten).  I think it's probably quite safe to say that the Cider Bus is actually the most famous bus in the festival!

I have no idea if they do either - they might not, but I seem to remember getting a drink in them... although, my memory is hazy! I'm also aware I';m missing things like the Bread and Roses etc. But I think these are the more 'famous' bars.

Didn't know the Bimble inn did stowford press on tap?!! Always remembered a few years ago asked about the real ale selection and it was bascically we have a bitter and an ale lol

few more to add:

Cornish Arms is good on route from Other to Pyramid, has a few ales and sells San Miguel and separate cocktail bar. Music runs until 2-3am and is pretty good tunes, was a go to for me and the fella when round that area

Theatre bar in T&C fields not so much music but has super strong Belgian beers so always a plus point

Cockatoo cocktail bar at bottom entrance of the T&C fields great (but limited) cocktails, bloody strong too so feel like you are drinking something lol

Used to be a big cider bar in Shangri La, can't remember the name and had a garden in the back couldn't find that last year though

Few dinky bars in the green field but you can find them yourselves as that's part of the fun lol 

The bars sound amazing to be fair. The only thing im concerned about is the selection of beer. I will be taking my own but for the moments i want to buy a cold one i don't really fancy a tuborg or an ale. Do they do any others? Although the idea of 3 ciders for a tenner at the brothers bar sounds very appealing and also very dangerous!

Edited by Stone Roses Fan

2 hours ago, cammie81 said:

There's the Mandela bar by the side of the Pyramid (RHS if facing stage) but that is probably considered a festival bar. There is also one to the LHS but can't remember the name of it.

its called The ' Workers Charter ' - last year there was big doubt it would even open due to a problem with the ground - I managed to get a lift down in a buggy on the Wednesday afternoon via the interstage area  and they dropped me in the back loading area and as I walked though there was nothing set up as they were working on the ground - I know they did complete the work - slipped my mind to ask what the problem was - I have lost count how many times my Team has worked there - its a very busy Bar and most years its either that or Dreamtime { the Bar next to the Other Stage } that makes the largest sales of all the WBC Bars.The WBC did have plans to set up a barrier system { for that and Dreamtime some years ago } but GFL rejected it due to lack of space - the barrier system does work as it stops people pushing in from the back and it gives Security time to check ID - worked great at Hyde park and although Customers were against it - once they tried it they were all for it as there is a exit only area so people can walk carrying their drink with no worry they will be pushed from behind.

1211_o.jpg