25 minutes ago, gillybean90 said:

This year I was thinking about placing little solar lights around our tents. My only concern is that I could be drawing attention of thieves to my tent. Has anyone done this before? How have people decorated their tents in the past? thoughts please.  :)

There will be thousands of tents will be rammed together with barely space to walk between them, so why should one with little solar lights around it be any more of a magnet or attractive proposition to thieves?  Lots of tents are decorated to help people find them in an otherwise sea of blue and green. We always used to have a 30ft high flagpole with lights all the way up it to act as a beacon to help us find it when returning at night.

The best protection against thieves is to make good friends with your neighbours so they will raise concerns if strangers seem to be sniffing around your tent.  In the same way, you keep an eye on theirs.

And, of course, don't leave anything valuable in your tent.  Use the lock ups.

2 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

There will be thousands of tents will be rammed together with barely space to walk between them, so why should one with little solar lights around it be any more of a magnet or attractive proposition to thieves?  Lots of tents are decorated to help people find them in an otherwise sea of blue and green. We always used to have a 30ft high flagpole with lights all the way up it to act as a beacon to help us find it when returning at night.

The best protection against thieves is to make good friends with your neighbours so they will raise concerns if strangers seem to be sniffing around your tent.  In the same way, you keep an eye on theirs.

And, of course, don't leave anything valuable in your tent.  Use the lock ups.

Thanks good advice about neighbours. did you just use a tent pole for your flag?

Always marked out my tent by adorning the doorway with a piece of old climbing rope with loads of solar lights tied onto it, like makeshift fairy lights. This went undisturbed for 6 festivals before Festival No 6 last year, where we kept coming back to find it increasingly vandalised and/or stolen from. Don't know if it was one person with a vendetta, or if there's a higher proportion of #banter trumpets at No 6 than other fests. If it was one person, and you're reading this, please return my lights, I had build up quite the collection of different colours over the years and can only seem to find white ones now; after you've returned them, reevaluate your life, you utter weapon.

I appreciate this may seem trivial to a lot of you, but those little lights really brought a festive feel to the tent. It's a sick individual who wants to destroy that.

Now I have a caravan, so can afford to carry more, I have a dedicated 12 volt battery just to power the fairy lights up my flagpole and under the awning. You can see them from half a mile away, which makes getting 'home' at night a lot easier.

59 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

Now I have a caravan, so can afford to carry more, I have a dedicated 12 volt battery just to power the fairy lights up my flagpole and under the awning. You can see them from half a mile away, which makes getting 'home' at night a lot easier.

Do you not get planes lining up to land on your camper? :lol:

I've been using a telescopic canal fishing pole as our camp marker - they are really light and compact to carry and cheaper than proper heavy duty flagpoles - and you can get really tall ones! And I bought one of those long banner type flags to go on it. You need a pole spike too.