Next Announcement thread

Matt42

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, big__phil said:

I thought they were finishing? Last ever gig?

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

haven't they broken up yet!?

I don't think the final tour is until September or something, so still a chance we might be lucky enough to get them at Glastonbury

25 minutes ago, jparx said:

I definitely think Kendrick could headline next year. He'd be on the small side for a headliner, sure, but I don't think the headliners should always be some mega act. In the long term, festivals in general need to give more 'smaller' acts a chance to jump to that next level. You can't keep booking Muse as a headliner every 4 years, eventually you need to take a chance on acts and give them the shot.

Florence (granted she's had more success in the UK) benefited hugely from headlining last year, and will definitely be a headliner when she returns. They could do the same for Kendrick, and it will ultimately benefit them in the long run. If they give him the headline spot next year, he may end up being very grateful to the festival that gave him his first major UK headline slot, and therefore be more inclined to headline again down the line, perhaps for less money than the average headliner. 

Look at Radiohead, Muse and Coldplay. Glastonbury gave them their big moment and now they are willing to come back and play, and play for a lower fee than others. 

I think Florence was definitely at the size to headline last year, it was a big surprise to many that she was a sub! She then got her shot thanks to Dave's leg and smashed it.

I think, somehow, them being British acts makes a difference over Kendrick, plus the fact they'd played Glastonbury before making the step-up to headliner. Muse had a few albums in the bank before jumping up, Coldplay just the one, but it had been massively successful. For Radiohead it was 1997, and I was just a child at the time so wasn't aware of the festival, but looking at past lineups the headliners of the time were a bit more modest in size generally compared to the expectation of mega-acts today. It was also around the release of OK Computer, which was massive.

The one that I feel Glastonbury really did take a risk on was the Arctic Monkeys. Their first performance was a headline slot.

You can go the other way and look at the smaller acts that have headlined recently, Arcade Fire and Gorillaz to name two, who, from judging the reception on here, went down a bit like lead balloons. If they're not on that mega-level, they need to be ones that are popular with the UK public/worked their way up the festival scene.

So while you could argue that Kendrick deserves a shot, I don't think he'll get it.

Edited by paulmuchmore

3 minutes ago, paulmuchmore said:

So while you could argue that Kendrick deserves a shot, I don't think he'll get it.

Well, I definitely agree with you on that :P If I was booking the festival, I'd have him there headlining Friday next year. But I can't see it happening until he's released at least one more critically acclaimed album.

52 minutes ago, paulmuchmore said:

You can go the other way and look at the smaller acts that have headlined recently, Arcade Fire and Gorillaz to name two, who, from judging the reception on here, went down a bit like lead balloons. If they're not on that mega-level, they need to be ones that are popular with the UK public/worked their way up the festival scene.

I think Gorillaz stepped in for U2 after they dropped out, and I didn't really hear much bad being said about Arcade Fire, but you still make a fair point on the headliners.

I do think it'll be 2018 at least before Kendrick headlines - so long as his next album is as great as what he's released so far.

Edited by dannygrif

49 minutes ago, jparx said:

Well, I definitely agree with you on that :P If I was booking the festival, I'd have him there headlining Friday next year. But I can't see it happening until he's released at least one more critically acclaimed album.

I don't think another critically acclaimed album will make a massive difference to most people's view of his headliner chances. I like his stuff but can't think of the last pyramid headliner with so few widely recognisable songs. For want of a better phrase I think you need the 'hits' to not be seen as a bit of a punt

2 minutes ago, TheRedSeat said:

I don't think another critically acclaimed album will make a massive difference to most people's view of his headliner chances. I like his stuff but can't think of the last pyramid headliner with so few widely recognisable songs. For want of a better phrase I think you need the 'hits' to not be seen as a bit of a punt

I get what you're saying but surely Arcade Fire aren't a band of huge 'hits'? Out of the two, I'd say Kendrick has more of a mainstream appeal.

Just now, JRhys29 said:

I get what you're saying but surely Arcade Fire aren't a band of huge 'hits'? Out of the two, I'd say Kendrick has more of a mainstream appeal.

Hits isn't a great choice of word but I would guess Arcade Fire have more stuff where people would go "oh yeah I know this one" plus hip hop rightly or wrongly seems more of a gamble to most. Jay-Z and Kanye had big opposition but they both have songs that enough people will want to hear them play whereas Kendrick is far more niche in that respect which makes it harder  

I'd probably be there if he played but I 100% understand reservations over a headline slot

Comparing Kendrick and Arcade fire, I can imagine "The Average person" to be like "Oh yeah I like that Arcade Fire song that was on an advert about waking up" and "I tried Kendrick Lamar and didn't get the fuss/like it, I prefer Kanye or some Jay Z for hip hop". I imagine they sit pretty similarly among these imaginary people. However, Arcade Fire didn't headline until their third album.

I really don't think Kendrick has gained that much traction in the U.K. mainstream. I think sub now might even be slightly pushing it, and headlining next year off two albums is a massive massive push. Putting quality of acts aside somewhat, Mumford and Sons had a much much bigger fan base and them headlining was a stretch on two albums.  

If Glastonbury booked on critical appeal mixed primarily, with popularity secondary, then maybe Kendrick could headline next year. However, it seems booking primarily works the other way around. Kendrick is going to need another album, probably with at least one mainstream hit, to headline yet. 

(for the record I was there and Arcade Fire fucking smashed it, and I really hope Kendrick will be subbing Adele)

3 hours ago, JoeyT said:

Yeah I made the mistake of booking the day before I went off a few years back.

That day must have been the longest of my life! It was nice to have a lie in but there was nothing to occupy my mind apart from the festival so it dragged on and on. By the time I went to bed I couldn't sleep as I wasn't tired and I was absolutely bouncing.

Never ever again.

The day after the festival though is 100% necessary to have off. I'm borderline depressed, shaking and emotional. No one deserves to see that so it's a day on the sofa to regain some sort of normality! 

Last time I went I turned up back at work on the Wednesday and I wasn't supposed to be in. Went straight home, probably the most bittersweet moment of my life.

I think I'm gonna have to make myself an itinerary for the Monday. I've been frustratingly crap at lie ins recently. Go to gym, nip to shop, twat about oh here for 15 hours.. 

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

Just had a thought, bloody hope it doesn't drop tomorrow.

Moving in to my first house with the missus and the internet might not be up and running until the evening...!

Ooof, good luck :)

I kinda hope it drops on the Bank Holiday Monday.. I'm doing a 14 hour shift that day, that'll be one way to brighten it up. Come on Eavii, do us a favour?

2 hours ago, Yokel Again said:

I know she's very, very popular - but are the people who like Adele really, really that passionate about music / her full stop? Or the ones at Glastonbury? (Massive generalisation), but I can't imagine so. I would imagine loads like her but a very very small majority will be thinking it's the thing they are most looking forward to.

(I'm probably wrong).

I agree to an extent but I'm not saying she's the thing people are most looking forward to in the weekend, it's more the case that the Eavises might not want to divert too much attention away from her  - and having some big secret special guest act and not unveiling it until the night would be a way to do that.

34 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Just had a thought, bloody hope it doesn't drop tomorrow.

Moving in to my first house with the missus and the internet might not be up and running until the evening...!

Hope you're not with BT or your internet might not be up and running for weeks!

Past 3 times we've moved it's been a nightmare....

Sure you'll be fine though ;)

Particularly excited for all the West Holts acts coming on Wednesday. There're hardly any announced at the moment, so it shows there're plenty to come. We still have one sub to come; Earth Wind & Fire's I'm guessing. Plenty of high up ones too! Maybe some good Hip Hop acts are still coming.

Edited by Acid_Haze

3 hours ago, Festival Liam said:

Comparing Kendrick and Arcade fire, I can imagine "The Average person" to be like "Oh yeah I like that Arcade Fire song that was on an advert about waking up" and "I tried Kendrick Lamar and didn't get the fuss/like it, I prefer Kanye or some Jay Z for hip hop". I imagine they sit pretty similarly among these imaginary people. However, Arcade Fire didn't headline until their third album.

I really don't think Kendrick has gained that much traction in the U.K. mainstream. I think sub now might even be slightly pushing it, and headlining next year off two albums is a massive massive push. Putting quality of acts aside somewhat, Mumford and Sons had a much much bigger fan base and them headlining was a stretch on two albums.  

If Glastonbury booked on critical appeal mixed primarily, with popularity secondary, then maybe Kendrick could headline next year. However, it seems booking primarily works the other way around. Kendrick is going to need another album, probably with at least one mainstream hit, to headline yet. 

(for the record I was there and Arcade Fire fucking smashed it, and I really hope Kendrick will be subbing Adele)

I think Kendrick is just about big enough to sub Adele this year, but no way is he big enough to headline until 1 or maybe 2 more big albums come out. My guess is in like 2022 or 2023 or something if he's still going. I feel like he'll be big enough on his next album but he'll be missed by Glastonbury and picked up by like... Wireless, Reading/Leeds or Bestival or something instead, and then he'll headline on his fourth. He's very very likely to sub this year though I think.

7 hours ago, Acid_Haze said:

Particularly excited for all the West Holts acts coming on Wednesday. There're hardly any announced at the moment, so it shows there're plenty to come. We still have one sub to come; Earth Wind & Fire's I'm guessing. Plenty of high up ones too! Maybe some good Hip Hop acts are still coming.

How do we know this?

40 minutes ago, beaker said:

Somebody on a football forum I post on is claiming the announcement will be on Tuesday at 10.30. Including a special guest. 

He doesn't provide any evidence to back this up

I'll back it up ... I had the same info passed to me yesterday, tho without the 'special guest' bit (so presumably your geezer is a different one to my own).

Special guests, eh? I wonder who that's going to be....?

If I were a betting man I'd say my money's on a band from Oxford.

Edited by eFestivals