Next Announcement thread

Matt42

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also while Adele may not be the most popular here, she's probably the biggest name on the festival bill this year, and after so many years of trying to get her, I don't think the Eavises will want everyone all weekend to be speculating about "who is on before Adele". It'll probably be revealed next Weds.

Let's get our hopes down a bit.

I didn't think Kendrick was that popular in the UK, particularly with the type of crowd Glasto attracts. Although you could say the same about Kanye but he's been around longer and definitely has a larger fanbase.

I really want the sub slot to be someone excellent, but I can't help but think we're in for a really underwhelming act, rather than the big name everyone is craving. It kind of reminds me of the 2010 Pyramid opening act saga. All three acts were TBA when the line up was released, and as it was the 40th anniversary the usual huge names were banded about. But, what did we end up with?

The Yeovil town band, Tinchy Stryder and erm Rolf Harris. 

2 minutes ago, nban2010 said:

Also while Adele may not be the most popular here, she's probably the biggest name on the festival bill this year, and after so many years of trying to get her, I don't think the Eavises will want everyone all weekend to be speculating about "who is on before Adele". It'll probably be revealed next Weds.

Let's get our hopes down a bit.

I know she's very, very popular - but are the people who like Adele really, really that passionate about music / her full stop? Or the ones at Glastonbury? (Massive generalisation), but I can't imagine so. I would imagine loads like her but a very very small majority will be thinking it's the thing they are most looking forward to.

(I'm probably wrong).

4 minutes ago, mr flow said:

I really want the sub slot to be someone excellent, but I can't help but think we're in for a really underwhelming act, rather than the big name everyone is craving. It kind of reminds me of the 2010 Pyramid opening act saga. All three acts were TBA when the line up was released, and as it was the 40th anniversary the usual huge names were banded about. But, what did we end up with?

The Yeovil town band, Tinchy Stryder and erm Rolf Harris. 

ha i remember that. all kinds of rumour swirling about them being headliner sized acts (Coldplay were one that was being mentioned a lot i recall). i'd even bigged them all up to my friends who were a little underwhelmed about the lineup. really must stop telling my friends about Glastonbury rumours that don't come to fruition 

17 minutes ago, ManLj said:

I didn't think Kendrick was that popular in the UK, particularly with the type of crowd Glasto attracts. Although you could say the same about Kanye but he's been around longer and definitely has a larger fanbase.

Yeah, I feel that he's more popular on this forum than with the general public. Same with Tame Impala. I know we can't read everything from the charts and they aren't necessarily a indicator of lineup placing (Foals have no success in the singles chart and average performance in the albums, but have worked their way up UK lineups) but Kendrick is no way as popular over here as he is in the States. When you consider the popularity of hip-hop and R&B in the charts these days, he's only had one song in the top 10, which was him featuring on Bad Blood by Taylor Swift. What he has going for him though, is that he's critically acclaimed.

I think no doubt that if he does play at Glastonbury he'll command a high up spot, either as a sub or an Other headliner, but I think people hoping for him to headline in 2017 if he isn't playing this year are maybe being a little bit hopeful. 

Edited by paulmuchmore

1 minute ago, paulmuchmore said:

Yeah, I feel that he's more popular on this forum than with the general public. Same with Tame Impala. I know we can't read everything from the charts and they aren't necessarily a indicator of lineup placing (Foals have no success in the singles chart and average performance in the albums, but have worked their way up UK lineups) but Kendrick is no way as popular over here as he is in the States. When you consider the popularity of hip-hop and R&B in the charts these days, he's only had one song in the top 10, which was him featuring on Bad Blood by Taylor Swift. What he has going for him though, is that he's critically acclaimed.

I think no doubt that if he does play at Glastonbury he'll command a high up spot, either as a sub or an Other headliner, but I think people hoping for him to headline are maybe being a little bit hopeful.

Yeah I saw Kendrick play Reading last year, subbing for The Libertines. He was one of the best I saw all weekend, and I'd only heard one or two of his songs before going. Not big enough to headline Glastonbury but I can see him doing the sub-headline slot, if he was willing to take that slot at Reading last year...

Think Kendrick is still one more critically acclaimed album away from a headliner spot so think 2018 would be more realistic than 2017. Especially as I was under the impression 2017 headliners are already booked?

He's definitely well known enough now though to be a sub headliner. He was a main stage sub at Reading last year and drew a big crowd. 

Edited by JonSnow

if it does end up being Kendrick i assume he'll be announced with the full lineup rather than being held back and kept as a Special Guest until he walks out on stage like The Libertines last year, whereas with Radiohead or somebody of headliner proportions it could go either way. he's a big act but i can imagine if kept secret his big reveal would be met with a lot of 'oh...' from people in the crowd expecting more

I definitely think Kendrick could headline next year. He'd be on the small side for a headliner, sure, but I don't think the headliners should always be some mega act. In the long term, festivals in general need to give more 'smaller' acts a chance to jump to that next level. You can't keep booking Muse as a headliner every 4 years, eventually you need to take a chance on acts and give them the shot.

Florence (granted she's had more success in the UK) benefited hugely from headlining last year, and will definitely be a headliner when she returns. They could do the same for Kendrick, and it will ultimately benefit them in the long run. If they give him the headline spot next year, he may end up being very grateful to the festival that gave him his first major UK headline slot, and therefore be more inclined to headline again down the line, perhaps for less money than the average headliner. 

Look at Radiohead, Muse and Coldplay. Glastonbury gave them their big moment and now they are willing to come back and play, and play for a lower fee than others. 

I'd imagine based on Emily's statements this year about not having big secret sets on main stages that whoever it is will be announced in some capacity before the festival. Hopefully that means they'll come with the rest of it, be very frustrating if not.

Just now, FloorFiller said:

if it does end up being Kendrick i assume he'll be announced with the full lineup rather than being held back and kept as a Special Guest until he walks out on stage like The Libertines last year, whereas with Radiohead or somebody of headliner proportions it could go either way. he's a big act but i can imagine if kept secret his big reveal would be met with a lot of 'oh...' from people in the crowd expecting more

Libs were a bit of a one-off though, with the festival trying to book Foals (who declined) first, then they went to The Libs. I don't know at what point the Libs were actually booked, but it certainly wouldn't have been more than a few days before the fest, if that. They'll be none of that this year, and trying to keep a high profile 'special guests' secret for that amount of time would be very tricky.

2 minutes ago, McCor said:

Tonight??? I have a good feeling. But I'm probably wrong.

Neil and a couple of other people have heard next Wednesday so i think we're all believing that for now

1 minute ago, big__phil said:

Libs were a bit of a one-off though, with the festival trying to book Foals (who declined) first, then they went to The Libs. I don't know at what point the Libs were actually booked, but it certainly wouldn't have been more than a few days before the fest, if that. They'll be none of that this year, and trying to keep a high profile 'special guests' secret for that amount of time would be very tricky.

which is why announcing whoever it is with the full lineup would make the most sense. even if they don't, there are enough acts names in the air now and we still wouldn't be 100% on who it was until we got definite word from Neil or somebody, or they walked out on stage. although they've managed to keep it secret thus far with the fact that there's an unknown sub being common knowledge to those who bother to do their research

4 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Do we know at this point if that Saturday sub slot The Libertines did last year is actually going to be there or are we assuming?..

assuming, but there doesn't seem to be an act on the already announced lineup who'll fit in as Adele's sub and Neil is having trouble pinning down exactly who it is so it's not a baseless assumption