Next Announcement thread

Matt42

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, ThomZorke said:

That's how I feel, though I'm not surprised. There seems to be a big difference in the kind of electronic music that is popular in the UK and the one that's popular in Germany. Am I right in thinking that Drum 'n' Bass is still a very big thing in the UK? For me the only acts standing out are Four Tet (and he's playing almost every year) and Floating Points. I would love to see more acts like DJ Koze, John Talabot, Modeselektor, Solomun, Pantha Du Prince, Christian Löffler, Howling etc. on the lineup. I know many of those have played Glastonbury in some year, but they're always hugely outnumbered by Drum 'n' Bass and Dubstep. Is this a Glastonbury specific kinda thing or does it reflect the general taste of the UK?

I may be biased, but I think that D&B is kinda in the blood of the UK now, in a similar way to Techno in Germany (although perhaps not to the same extent). Took a while to be like that, and it's certainly not everyone's cup of tea, but it's an organically British sound with a lot of history that many people can't resist having a little drunken skank to, hence its ubiquity in festival lineups these days.

I might well be wrong as I'm not as down with the kids as I used to be, but I would say that most of the acts you've mentioned might be considered a little more niche here (fourtet and floating points aside) and whilst they might still pop up on the lineup they're less likely to be on the bigger  dance focused stages.

Much more lineup to come yet though. My taste in D&B is quite particular, I'm not really a fan of the big stage acts such as Sub Focus etc, and so I often have to seek out stuff on smaller stages too.  Friday night in London Underground is normally very much my cup of tea, and that can't be more than 5 or 6 hundred capacity. 

Edited by Junglist1981
Drunken rambling

10 hours ago, kaytee... said:

I dont care when the next announcement is anymore, Glastonbury is officially next month! :D

This is the first thing I said to Mr Charm this morning, he just looked at me like I was mental, I'm way too excited. 
Charm x

On 29 April 2016 at 9:55 AM, wonker said:

I hate to say it, but with this drip feeding of stages I sincerely doubt that we'll get the whole line-up before the end of the month.

Aye, right you are now. Don't know why I'm so impatient about it, the lineup is more an icing on the cake thing for me.