Coldplay, what to expect?

ten2doc

5 hours ago, Finding leto14 said:

Agreed, best show I've ever witnessed. Such great energy. Could tell everyone had forgotten about the mud and the outside world. Some of their music is drab but the hits they played are different class. Doubt it will be topped for me. Those wristbands and lighting was different gear to any live band.

I'm going with exactly this.  I've seen a lot of great gigs at Glastonbury, but I can honestly say that in all my life I have never seen a more fantastic spectacle than 90 minutes or so of the pyramid field throwing their glowing hands in the air and completely forgetting that the weather'd been a bit drab or that earlier they were moaning about their knackered legs and blistered feet.  Chris Martin might be a pretty poor singer, but as a performer he proved he can really take a crowd with him.  Everything was perfectly judged, imo.

My highlight, from where I was further up the field, was the sea of coloured balls bouncing up the field, it looked brilliant.  I was right under someone who set off both yellow smoke and then a flare a little later, so I can confirm (as someone with a lung condition) that they are no problem in crowds and that flares emit no actual sparks, just the foamy stuff looks like it because it's so brightly lit, also perfectly fine in crowds as far as I am concerned.  Great bunch of happy young scouse lads who had a brilliant time at that gig by me and everyone around me was dancing, singing, punching the air, waving and clapping constantly.  The Bee Gee moment went down a bomb.

Ah shit, I could go on forever about how much I enjoyed it.  Was a bit bummed earlier in the day but returned to camp on top of the world, the perfect end to the festival.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm no Coldplay fan, far from it but circumstances lead to us being there to watch them and I have to say, Wow. What a show. It was brilliant from start to finish and left me all a bit emotional if I'm honest. So glad I was there to witness that and I apologise to Coldplay for repeatedly calling them dull over the years. 

6 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

so how did michael eavis manage to sing so well ? lessons ? or some kind of changing of his voice ? he was awfull the last time I heard him sing !! well done Michael :)

That's his 'normal' voice. When he sang with Stevie Wonder, he didn't have his earpiece in. I guess he did this time.

36 minutes ago, GlastoEls said:

Yup, best show I've ever seen at Glastonbury and I almost can't believe I'm typing those words - it was incredible.

It was very special. They had the crowd in their hands from the very first song. Amazing set.

Excellent show. The really love and get the festival. 

Cons - New stuff is dire. Sounds like U2s last couple of albums. Really weak pedestrian stuff.

Pros - Viola Beach tribute was lovely, the sound was incredible, the didn't do Heroes, the wristbands were sort of cool, it was my missus first time seeing them and Stayin' Alive was off the fucking hook. So most of the stuff that was unique to Glasto basically. 

After seeing the set list I was very glad I gave this a miss but after reading these reviews seems like I missed a trick.

Goes to show that it's more than song selection that determines overall enjoyment I suppose. Will have to check out on iplayer.

I wanted to see them on a big setting, last time I saw them was in a small club when Parachutes was released. My wife is a typical Chris Martin naysayer and didnt want to go. I persuaded her though, told her it should probably be a good spectacle.

We were all amazed, they ticked every box to perfection and smashed it, they absolutely justified headling again. Superb. My wife absolutely loved it.

I do hope that's it now though for them (as headliners), until they return as a heritage act in many many years!

13 minutes ago, ClementsMike said:

I do hope that's it now though for them (as headliners), until they return as a heritage act in many many years!

Agreed.

The best performance I've ever seen at Glastonbury (not musically, but as a spectacle, Portishead still hold that crown) but let's give it at least another 8-10 years.

• 3 weeks later...

Much like everyone else has said, that performance was one of the best, if not the best, I've ever seen. 

It had everything. The fact they are confident enough to shove Yellow as the second song just meant you knew you were in for something special. 

I hadn't planned to watch them to be honest, I'm fairly indifferent as a 'Coldplay fan', but I was given a wristband by someone and thought I'd stay to see what it was all about and I'm so glad I did. I think the fact Chris Martin quite clearly loves the place gives it that extra special connection. 

I think it's great that wherever people went on the Sunday - Coldplay, LCD, EWF (or in my case to Cyndi Lauper) - everyone seemed to have a great night. I just don't get coldplay. Never have and I never will.

It looks good, but all seems so contrived and I don't get their appeal, but fair play - people seem to be won over 

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I think it's great that wherever people went on the Sunday - Coldplay, LCD, EWF (or in my case to Cyndi Lauper) - everyone seemed to have a great night. I just don't get coldplay. Never have and I never will.

It looks good, but all seems so contrived and I don't get their appeal, but fair play - people seem to be won over 

Can only agree with this. Our group split up between the headliners of Pyramid, Other, West Holts & Park - everyone raved about how good their headliner was.

Yet to see anyone fess up to watching Jake Bugg mind you...;)

1 minute ago, M_Il said:

Do people think as far as headlining goes it could be a while for a Coldplay reappearance? Or is it wishful thinking by certain people 

probably more wishful thinking. whilst i don't think anybody would argue that them being booked so often is a little too much, each time they play it goes down an absolute storm and seems to silence the doubters, so if they're planning to continue making albums and touring i'd definitely expect them back in another five/six years

2 hours ago, jackarmy said:

Can only agree with this. Our group split up between the headliners of Pyramid, Other, West Holts & Park - everyone raved about how good their headliner was.

Yet to see anyone fess up to watching Jake Bugg mind you...;)

Even Jake Bugg won't admit to being there.

Am I allowed to say I actually enjoyed their previous appearance more? I thought they were technically excellent, but even though it was AMAZING to see/hear a Bee Gee it did seem to descend into almost pastiche, especially with Michael's karaoke. 

I do like Coldpay. Went to same uni, and same halls as me. I do think they have suffered from having committed the "biggest sin ever" to British music lovers: getting too big, too quickly. Guarantee when they come on as legends in twenty years times, everyone will be having them.

Interesting how technology advances though. I can remember everyone raving about the green lasers in 2005!

Edited by mooro

I was at EW&F and it was incredible. I watched the Coldplay set on Iplayer last night and wondered whether I'd made the right decision. I'm not much of a fan but it looked like one of those sets you only get at the pyramid. I then watched LCD and realised there were 3 incredible sets I could have been at on Sunday eve. Hats off to Glastonbury, all of the 'crap headliners' crew should realise, great live music is where it's at, and a Pyramid headliner will often deliver on pyro in a way no other festival competes with and offer poignant moments / talking points.