First timer! Help/ tips/ advice

JayP1983

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, sweetsounding said:

Thanks guys, savings and cold hard cash are necessary then! In a credit obsessed nation that's not so easy :blink:

You could sweet talk other people to carrying some extra hooch in for you so you need less cash?   :D 

Then if you find anywhere that takes a card it's a bonus.

Just now, clarkete said:

You could sweet talk other people to carrying some extra hooch in for you so you need less cash?   :D 

Then if you find anywhere that takes a card it's a bonus.

In general, despite being a manager of an offie, we don't drink so I'm not expecting to spend too much, bringing a wee stove to make tea in the morns and just buying maybe one/two cold pints a day. I guess like most people we just struggle to get our hand on real money every month, darn below inflation pay rises, darn torys!

40 minutes ago, sweetsounding said:

Thanks guys, savings and cold hard cash are necessary then! In a credit obsessed nation that's not so easy :blink:

Maybe offer to buy some of your mates' supermarket booze on your credit card and they pay you back in cash?  That would get you some spends.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

Every year I take £250-300 cash with me, driving license for ID as I always seem to get scrutinised at the entrance gate and emergency debit card.

I always keep £50/60 in my wallet in my pocket and leave the rest in a spare wallet in a lockup and then go back daily whenever a convenient to top up. I use multiple lockups depending on where I am (move stuff to closest lockup to where I will be) - this way if I lose my wallet I lose only £50/60 and still have a fallback. I also take pictures on mine and mates smartphones of the number on lockup tix and try and remember the number as if you lose your ticket you can quote it and they will give you your other wallet from the lockup (that's why I always leave ID in the lockup wallet, I comfortably look legal drinking age and have never had to worry about getting ID'd at Glasto.

so for first timers worried about money I would recommend cash not card although take a card if you like - the free cash machines at the top of the site up near the farmhouse get busy though! Also the 2 wallets, one in a lockup with the bulk of your money one on you. The lockups are trustworthy and are usually well staffed by lovely volunteers and obviously you have piece of mind then about your valuables. You can put whatever you like in too within reason.

4 hours ago, sweetsounding said:

Are cards generally accepted on site, say credit card purchases of merch/ above mentioned quality arts, or is it stall by stall specific. All this talk of cash even when using the lock ups gets me nervous, got to get my wallet all the way from my front door through the gate before I can safely lock it up and I'm pants at loosing things at the best of times!

I keep everything on lanyards attached to belt loops or around my neck

Echoing sentiments, here. Think the best approach is to play it by ear. This'll be my 7th time and although I'm familiar with the site and the atmosphere, every experience I've had at the festival has been unique. You might even stumble across wonderful places I've not been to yet :)

6 hours ago, sweetsounding said:

Are cards generally accepted on site, say credit card purchases of merch/ above mentioned quality arts, or is it stall by stall specific. All this talk of cash even when using the lock ups gets me nervous, got to get my wallet all the way from my front door through the gate before I can safely lock it up and I'm pants at loosing things at the best of times!

Unfortunately, stall by stall specific.  But there are cashpoints around the site (some no charge, some a bit steep - so hunt around before withdrawing cash).

The place where I bought art stuff last year was a cash only place, so I had to trek up the Hill of Death to CV East to get some cash from my caravan, back down to pay and then back up to take my purchases back to the van.

Quite a lot will put stuff on one side for you to collect later and quite a few reduce prices towards the end of the fest, so they don't have to take a lot of unsold stuff home with them.

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, SarahLu said:

Loved reading this thread, I'm a first timer too after about 5 years of trying so to say I'm excited is an understatement!

congratulations on finally getting your hands on a ticket :)

and good luck getting through these final days