2016 Get Fit Thread

koj

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since the turn of the year, i've lost about 9lbs. Sticking to about 1200-1300 calories during the week and then eat what i want at the weekends. One hour on the exercise bike every day except Sundays.

It normally falls off me a lot quicker but this year there was a period of about 3 or 4 weeks where I lost nothing.

This week however I ate virtually nothing for two days due to a bug, gorged myself on pizza and Easter eggs when i got my appetite back and ended up losing about 2lbs. This might be my diet for the future.

Hi all, 

I've been lurking on efestivals for the last 6 months and have finally joined the party. 

I've been a bit of a yo-yo dieter for the past 5 five years, got really skinny due to a load of stress, then went travelling 18 months ago and piled on 1.5 stones and haven't been able to shift it (mainly because I'm happy and eating!) I have had arthritis for the last 10 years and whilst most of the time I'm ok, I'm terrified about the amount of ground I'm going to cover and how I'm going to feel, so looking to build fitness. 

I drive to work at the moment but am planning to start walking the two miles to and from the station twice a week. 

Does anybody have any tips about reducing knee pain as that's the joint I suffer the most with? 

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Swamp Princess said:

Hi all, 

I've been lurking on efestivals for the last 6 months and have finally joined the party. 

I've been a bit of a yo-yo dieter for the past 5 five years, got really skinny due to a load of stress, then went travelling 18 months ago and piled on 1.5 stones and haven't been able to shift it (mainly because I'm happy and eating!) I have had arthritis for the last 10 years and whilst most of the time I'm ok, I'm terrified about the amount of ground I'm going to cover and how I'm going to feel, so looking to build fitness. 

I drive to work at the moment but am planning to start walking the two miles to and from the station twice a week. 

Does anybody have any tips about reducing knee pain as that's the joint I suffer the most with? 

Thanks!

@bennyhana22

In June i looked great and was close to doing some fitness shoots, i then went to rock wertcher and eat so much it was crazy and lost my months of hard work within the weekend :D. I'm currently getting quite close to it again to follow it up! id probably say around 8/12 week to get to around 8-9% bodyfat from where i am now, if anyone needs any dieting/lifting advice I'm always available to help! over 3 years of lifting now and I've been up and down constantly. Lets get that motivation alive to look great guys and girls!

3 hours ago, Heather90 said:

Looking at pedometers/fitbit things for the festival as I'm curious as to how far I will walk compared to usual. Don't think I'll go for actual fitbit as I'm unlikely to use it often at all

I'm looking for similar myself. last year i used mytracks app and did 7 miles on the weds but due to allowance use and signal and battery lifeonly measured that day.

Use Strava app now for cycling & walks but after something simple (ie cheap) for occasional daily use.

4 hours ago, sophlamb said:

@pie_and_a_pint - if you don't mind me asking, how did you smash your ankle? Sorry if that's too nosy, you don't have to answer, I'm just curious!

I use My Fitness Pal too - I think it has just made me more of a conscious eater as I could happily graze all day long without putting too much thought about what, when and how much I am eating. I think I need to get some walking in now. No idea how many miles I get in a day at Glastonbury, would be interesting to use a fitbit for the weekend and find out!

Also you and other do I have used and about to start using My Fitness Pal again - and do smaller portions / cut out late night digestives with cuppa etc.

Don't weign myself but Mates noticed the difference and a lady pal had to stick a new notch in my belt at Glast as it was too loose!

17 hours ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

Not nosey at all! I'd love to say I was crowd surfing in a haze of drugs with Kate Moss or something epically cool but no, I was merely walking, stone cold sober, up a slight slope! I slipped, and knew I'd done something as I couldn't move my leg. Several hours lying in the mud, and several more in Festival Medical (less said about that the better on a Saturday night...) I was finally ambulanced out to Yeovil,  who confirmed it was broken in several places and dislocated, but the delay in getting seen meant it was too swollen to treat. So they plastered me up, sent me home with m'husband, and a week later I had reconstructive surgery at the John Radcliffe in Oxford by a lovely doctor who cleaned up the messy mess of bones and stuff admirably and straightened out all the damage. There's now a ton of metal in it, and after 12 weeks in plaster and another 6 in a Velcro boot I was finally allowed to walk again. What a palaver!

Wow that's impressive work! Glad to hear you're back to walking miles and miles around the festival these days :)

Well I've just checked and as of today I have hit my target weight loss of 10.01 stones!!! It has taken me about 14 months and cost a bloody fortune in new clothes :)

I'm  kind of looking forward to pulling my sack barrow back up the hill of death on Sunday as it no longer instils any fear in me .

no fancy diet just eating at sensible times ie not late at night, and calorie counting with myfitnesspal .

Good luck to those wanting to lose a bit of weight before Glastonbury if you haven't already I'd give myfitnesspal a go. it's probably not suitable for all but so far it's worked for me it made me much more aware of how all the little extras very quickly add up.

Other than cider I'm really looking forward to treating myself to an oggie this year :)

Out of curiosity I brought a pedometer to Glastonbury a couple of years ago.  I put it on as soon as I went through the gate and kept it on whenever I walked, even remembering to put it on at night when walking from the top of Hitchin Hill to the nearest toilets….

I walked 45 km over the festival, which is 28 miles.  I arrived early on Wednesday, and once made a trek to visit friends in the faraway caravan camping area.

This is about 9 km a day, which feels about right.  I am fairly fit, so it is not a problem, though at the end of the day it feels really good to sit down.

I went to Roskilde the following week and did the same experiment, and oddly the result was the exact same: 45 km (we were camping in the further away caravan field there). 

Conclusion: No need to start going mental in a gym, but being reasonably fit is a help (now all I need is a ticket…..).

Had a great week diet and exercise wise... Until Saturday night! Was the father in law's birthday so I ate and drank my entire body weight. I was absolutely kicking myself yesterday so straight back on it with a vow to not drink again until I'm at my target weight as I have no willpower. 

On 4/7/2016 at 8:48 PM, Peroni said:

Just weighed in... 1lb down.  Taking the ttl to 15lb since start of Jan.   Aiming for 10lbs by Glastonbury.

I've also set up a group for any fit bitters...everyone else does so many more steps!!

I will be taking my fitbit to Glasto this year for first time, curious as to how many steps I get through there

On ‎07‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 9:58 PM, StormCrow said:

Well I've just checked and as of today I have hit my target weight loss of 10.01 stones!!! It has taken me about 14 months and cost a bloody fortune in new clothes :)

I'm  kind of looking forward to pulling my sack barrow back up the hill of death on Sunday as it no longer instils any fear in me .

no fancy diet just eating at sensible times ie not late at night, and calorie counting with myfitnesspal .

Good luck to those wanting to lose a bit of weight before Glastonbury if you haven't already I'd give myfitnesspal a go. it's probably not suitable for all but so far it's worked for me it made me much more aware of how all the little extras very quickly add up.

Other than cider I'm really looking forward to treating myself to an oggie this year :)

amazing buddy

Glad a thread like this has been made, hopefully will be some motivation between now and Glasto. 

3 years ago I was 280 lbs (20 stone), I was 17 and 5ft 10 so you can imagine what I looked like. Got my weight all the way down to 190lbs over the course of 18 months, met my amazing girlfriend and have put on about 3stone since then. 

With glasto now being 10 weeks (SHIT) away, I'm aiming to lose at least a stone between now and then, I honestly think I can do it and even go further. 

I'll be eating 1800 calories a day, walking as much as I can, bought myself an e cigarette today so hopefully I can cut down on the cigs too. 

Thought I'd include a progress pic too if anyone's interested

10590556_10202787169296471_1743821973834084342_n.jpg

Edited by JamieKThomas

Went up Glastonbury Tor in 2011 and it was a struggle. I was determined to get fitter after that. I didn't get to it straight away but I'm about 2 stone lighter now.

I've never really struggled fitness wise at the festival, but I've recently upped my running in the hope that I might shed a few more pounds before the end of June. That way I won't feel too guilty if a put a bit of weight back on due to lots of drink and tasty food!

Edited by AmyShambles

I'm probably in the minority, but I actually want to gain some weight to have more energy at Glasto. I often forget to eat, especially when I'm excited or stressed out and my goal is to gain 1-2kg by mid-June because I'll definitely lose some weight there. It's going to be difficult because I also want to walk a lot to prepare myself for miles of walking at the festival and I lose weight very easily.

If anyone has any tips to gain weight healthily, I'd be happy to hear them! 

3 hours ago, weirdforces said:

I'm probably in the minority, but I actually want to gain some weight to have more energy at Glasto. I often forget to eat, especially when I'm excited or stressed out and my goal is to gain 1-2kg by mid-June because I'll definitely lose some weight there. It's going to be difficult because I also want to walk a lot to prepare myself for miles of walking at the festival and I lose weight very easily.

If anyone has any tips to gain weight healthily, I'd be happy to hear them! 

I'm the same about forgetting to eat, but it's probably because I drink and smoke too much while chatting to people. I don't have an anorexic thing because I have usually been a 'normal' weight throughout my life. (Between 8st and 9st for my height of 5ft 2).

However, it doesn't help that I now also have problems with my teeth so eating is no longer a pleasure. More of an ordeal, especially in public. I have lost weight as a result and, last year, dropped drastically to six and a half stone, to the extent that I was asked by a friend the other day whether I was 'still the size of a Biafran'! That upset me quite a lot so I have been making myself eat stuff whether I want it or not.

I have, nevertheless, managed to get back up to near optimum weight in the last year. So, it can be done! Avocados are good. Bananas. Full English breakfasts. Beef stew and dumplings. Sunday roasts. Chinese and Indian takeaways. Hot chocolate drinks. Porridge. Poached egg on toast.

All the best

:-)

I did really well till last 3weeks and nowe I'm at the part where it gets harder. I've done diets before and not kept it off so this time I really need to make a lifestyle rather then a quick fix for the summer.

Started doing weights a month ago on advice of a few people which seems to help.

2 awful photos but one is from 16th of January and 1 is from Saturday 

20160412_073615.jpg

20160412_074337.jpg

To anybody looking to lose weight/make a lifestyle change I'd highly recommend reading up on intermittent fasting

http://jamesclear.com/the-beginners-guide-to-intermittent-fasting

Been doing this for three years now and it's had nothing but positive effects on my life. Not for everybody as some people are just insistent that they can't go without breakfast (everybody definitely can) but definitely worth scanning through and even possibly trial running. Makes the whole 'dieting' process far easier and less of a daily slog

Edited by FloorFiller

Good progress this week, after Easter disaster.

Recorded all my meals in MyFitnessPal and kept to 1800 kcal during the week. Cut down the drink. Walked for 60 mins every evening with dog. Did two 60 min swimming sessions. Even went to the gym with my missus three times which is a rare deal for me. Couple of slip ups food wise but no big deal.

Lost 2.5lb at weekly weigh-in so 13lb to go (my target figure was a bit to cock last week).

Good luck to all, please report back!