2016 Get Fit Thread

koj

3 minutes ago, Heather90 said:

See this is where you lose me, fully confessed pasta addict here! So much so the 60g portions on Weight Watchers made me miserable.

I am reducing my carb intake at the moment by cauliflower rice, vegetable chips and spiralized vegetable spaghetti as replacements a few times a week. Still have pasta, rice or potatoes about 4 meals a week in total. 

Glad to hear you found something that works for you though. Good luck!

Giving up bread was the hardest part, but it's only temporary, once I've lost the weight I'll start eating carbs again, it's the cider and chocolate I have to reduce permanently.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well done everyone on your progress, so far I have lost 1st 5lb since Jan, doing weight watchers and going to the gym 2-3 times a week, started doing couch to 5k but buggered up my knee so now do cross trainer in the gym. Aim is to lose another half a stone before Glastonbury which is doable apart from 2 holidays between now and then when I know I will not follow the plan. 

Pilates really helps with lower back and core strength would recommend classes ideally so you can be sure you are moving properly but a dvd will do if you can't get a proper class near you or afford it. 

Best of luck everyone will keep checking in to see how everyone is doing :)

I have a fairly regular work out routine anyway - body balance, body pump and 5 hours of roller derby a week - but after realising it's only 2 months til festival season I've decided to get back on to the pre-fest wagon. I think I'm in the same boat as a couple of other people here - more interested in toning up and core strength than weight loss, though I do have a stone to lose that sort of crept up on me over Christmas and Easter so I'm back on the 5:2 diet for a few weeks as it really works for me. I've downloaded the Stronglifts 5x5 app so I can do some weightlifting in the gym with a bit of structure and also have booked myself a couple of spin classes this week.

2 hours ago, Heather90 said:

See this is where you lose me, fully confessed pasta addict here! So much so the 60g portions on Weight Watchers made me miserable.

I am reducing my carb intake at the moment by cauliflower rice, vegetable chips and spiralized vegetable spaghetti as replacements a few times a week. Still have pasta, rice or potatoes about 4 meals a week in total. 

Glad to hear you found something that works for you though. Good luck!

WW is what I use, but then I need portion control more than anything... they do have the no count plan though which having compared to the girl next to me at work, is the basically the same as SW... so its more a personal choice.

All the fit bitters - pm me and we should get some sort of e-festivals Glastonbury countdown challenge running!

Oooh and I have also been giving up drinking for the 99 days before glastonbury...double motivation here!  Firstly to loose weight and 2ndly make the journey from car park to camp easier as I hopefully won't need to drink not as much (so I don't need to carry as much!)

13 minutes ago, Peroni said:

All the fit bitters - pm me and we should get some sort of e-festivals Glastonbury countdown challenge running!

This please!!!

I felt crap last year, heavy and lethargic. I have signed up to a half marathon on 12th June to help me get my weight down to an acceptable level for this year, plus I am off to Boom Portugal in August and I don't want to be suffering in the heat!

I am 5lbs down in 3 weeks.....would like to be another 1.5 stone lighter for my race. And Glasto :-)

Fitbitter here too :-)

Decided over easter that I needed to increase the walking (after doing a 3 hour walk on Worthy Farm and feeling it ) - so racked up 25K steps on Sunday - tick, but work days its tough and so far today done 2K ... aaahhhhh .... off skating now so thats a few more calories burned !

I killed it in January and part of February, but March was a real killer. Such a long month and I just fell completely off the wagon.

Bought a rowing machine last weekend though and trying to get back into eating healthier (mainly eating less to be honest, my diet is decent I just eat too much :P). Determined to lose a stone or so by the time Glastonbury rolls around!

I don't particularly want to lose weight, only a few pounds, but I definitely need to improve my fitness so that I'm not absolutely shattered by the end of the day and falling asleep standing up (which happened at The Horrors three years ago. I was on my own and kept falling asleep and stumbling. I ended up leaving because I was aware I must have looked completely hammered).

Ive started cycling to work again but need to up my walking and maybe do a bit of running. 

Well done to all of those of you who have lost weight.

And to anyone not drinking I admire you greatly!

I put on half a stone from Christmas and an AI holiday in February.

2lbs gone, 5 to go.

I've had good results with 5:2 previously but I can't face the thought of doing it again - although I'm sure if I made the effort I'd be fine.  Maybe I'll reevaluate mid May.

I'm using a my fitness pal, I can't/won't go without carbs but I try to stay in the 50% recommend by MFP.

I also have a fit bit, would love to join a group if that's possible.

I've been training since January for my first ever marathon (London in 3 weeks) so I'm the fittest I've ever been in my life! Just gotta make sure I don't let it all slip between the marathon & Glasto. I got a Fitbit for Christmas & it's really helped with the training - I ran 157 miles in total in March!

anyone on this lovely forum wanna sponsor me for the Orchid Cancer Charity? https://www.justgiving.com/Russell-Barton5

Always been a fat lad, despite also being quite sporty. Hoping to lose 3.5 stone between now and the festival, may seem a lot but aim high and all that! Changing my diet to cut out a lot of the shit I tend to comfort eat after work, switching potatoes out for sweet potatoes, and trying desperately to cut out/down the drinking. The fact I'm skint now after paying off the balance and NOS Alive will help with the last part. By next weekend I'll be playing cricket once/twice a weekend, cricket training once a week, playing 6-a-side for an hour and at least one if not two weekly trips to the gym as well. Once the weather is a bit perkier will add walking to/from the train station before and after work, just to make sure I get in 3-4 miles of walking a day in preparation for the 5-10 miles a day I'll no doubt do on the farm.

At the 2014 festival I was 16 stone. And then I (famously) smashed my ankle up at the festival and was pretty much immobile for four months. And then it was Christmas and New Year. On New Year's Day 2015 I weighed 16st 7lb. I'm a girl, and I'm 5'4", so as I you imagine I was fucking massive and fucking knackered - I couldn't (in all honesty) climb the stairs without being a bit out of breath. :(

So I went on a healthy eating kick - I used MyFitnessPal to track calories (averaging between 1200 and 1600 a day), cut out most white processed carbs in favour of wholewheat, and generally ate fewer carbs and more protein, and usually had between 7 and 10 of my 'five a day' fruit and veg. Swapped beer and cider for red wine or G&(slimline)T or vodka and diet coke. Drank more water. Tried to do 10,000 steps a day.

At Glastonbury 2015 I weighed just on 14 stone, and was fitter, happier, and bags more energy even with the 5am starts for work shifts. I walked miles - about 15 a day - and was much better at dealing with the heat and needing fewer 'sit downs' all the time. At Glastonbury 2016 I shall be under 12 stone for the first time in I literally don't know how many years and wearing my size 14 fleece very happily! The good old BMI calculator still tells me I'm 'overweight' but I can't bring myself to care about that. :)

I still use MyFitnessPal, although I'm now eating a bit more as I want to maintain rather than lose weight. 

(BLOODY expensive though - not the healthy food, but the clothes! I sold a ton of my 'fat clothes' on eBay last year and bought a new wardrobe in a size 16, only to lose more weight and have to do the same again. I'm going to 'stick' at a 14 now as I can't bear the thought of buying any more clothes!)

@pie_and_a_pint - if you don't mind me asking, how did you smash your ankle? Sorry if that's too nosy, you don't have to answer, I'm just curious!

I use My Fitness Pal too - I think it has just made me more of a conscious eater as I could happily graze all day long without putting too much thought about what, when and how much I am eating. I think I need to get some walking in now. No idea how many miles I get in a day at Glastonbury, would be interesting to use a fitbit for the weekend and find out!

14 minutes ago, sophlamb said:

@pie_and_a_pint - if you don't mind me asking, how did you smash your ankle? Sorry if that's too nosy, you don't have to answer, I'm just curious!

Not nosey at all! I'd love to say I was crowd surfing in a haze of drugs with Kate Moss or something epically cool but no, I was merely walking, stone cold sober, up a slight slope! I slipped, and knew I'd done something as I couldn't move my leg. Several hours lying in the mud, and several more in Festival Medical (less said about that the better on a Saturday night...) I was finally ambulanced out to Yeovil,  who confirmed it was broken in several places and dislocated, but the delay in getting seen meant it was too swollen to treat. So they plastered me up, sent me home with m'husband, and a week later I had reconstructive surgery at the John Radcliffe in Oxford by a lovely doctor who cleaned up the messy mess of bones and stuff admirably and straightened out all the damage. There's now a ton of metal in it, and after 12 weeks in plaster and another 6 in a Velcro boot I was finally allowed to walk again. What a palaver!

What MyFitnessPal gave me was portion control. I always ate pretty healthily, but would cook 'a handful' of rice or pasta or spuds that turned out to be double what a 'portion should be, so I was eating far more calories than I realised. It's brilliant - and I can't believe it's a free app!

We used to arrive on Thursday and get put at the back of south car parking, other side of A361. Foolishly I left wellies in the car one year and the the walk from the tent in Cockmill Meadow to the car and back again was the best part of 6 miles. Sort of reminds me that the effort of getting fit before Glastonbury is worth it!

Well done on the weight losses and fitness wins! After this thread yesterday I dragged myself to the gym for a bit of cardio, back tomorrow too. It is really important to me to be able to get more out of the festival this year. I was so tired last year that I missed out on quite a bit. 

Looking at pedometers/fitbit things for the festival as I'm curious as to how far I will walk compared to usual. Don't think I'll go for actual fitbit as I'm unlikely to use it often at all