2016 Get Fit Thread

koj

My countdown starts today - anyone else with me?

I actually started in Feb but I put back on the half a stone I lost with chocolate / beer / no exercise over Easter :-(

My aim is to lose 1st, which takes me to health BMI for my height - something I've not been able to do since I was a teenager.

I'll try and report back. Interested to know if other people have similar plans?

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice one Smeble!!  And everyone on your losses.  I started in Jan, been going farily steadily since then and have lost half a stone (seems slow - but I am trying not to loose muscle so slow it has to be...)  Aiming for another 10lbs before the festival.

Edited by Peroni

Running the Plymouth Half marathon on the 17th April then doing an event relay with 4 others running 100 miles in 2 days down an old railway track in France for charity.

Will carry on running on and off till the festival starts then rest for the summer.

I'm 15.5lbs down since Jan 4th (13 weeks). Hoping to get to 2 stone by the festival (another 12.5lbs in 11 weeks). This will leave me 4lbs below my BMI being 25 and the lightest I've been since I was 18 - I'll be 26 by the festival. 

Been on slimming world so far and loving it. Finding it quite easy compared to calorie counting, weigh watchers etc. as I can eat proper meals and eat out if I choose wisely. Still been drinking too but mostly spirits and diet mixer with the odd lager 

Not a drop of cider has passed my lips this year. My first one will be at about 11am on the 22nd June at the farm. 

I want to shed a stone before the festival so I am back on the jogging. Can anyone recommend a good exercise to help strengthen the back which I can do at home? I am thinking any help with the heavy rucksack I can get would be beneficial. 

Interestingly, I have had a few Glasto years bigger, and some smaller...  I find different things tough each time.

• Bigger - its harder to keep cool, getting up and down and into camp site was awful and draining.  Wellies awkward.
  • Smaller - hard to keep warm, sitting down felt more uncomfortable (must less cushioning), Wellies less awkward.

on balance, I prefer the smaller years, as mainly I can fit in my gold lame hot pants and sequin leggings, and drink hot cider to keep warm!

5 minutes ago, FolkMeRight said:

I want to shed a stone before the festival so I am back on the jogging. Can anyone recommend a good exercise to help strengthen the back which I can do at home? I am thinking any help with the heavy rucksack I can get would be beneficial. 

anything that focuses on your core muscles should be a good start, im mid way through a 30 day plank challenge that seems help quite a bit, I was helping someone move house recently and found lifting stuff a lot easier

last year I managed to lose 1st in prep for the festival but then I went mad a glasto and ate everything then pretty much carried that on when I got home for way too long so now I've got about 2st to lose to get to where i'd like to be

I've just started using Myfitnesspal again and plan to resume running next week

1 minute ago, sloseph said:

im mid way through a 30 day plank challenge that seems help quite a bit, I was helping someone move house recently and found lifting stuff a lot easier

Thanks I will give this a shot.

16 minutes ago, Heather90 said:

I'm 15.5lbs down since Jan 4th (13 weeks). Hoping to get to 2 stone by the festival (another 12.5lbs in 11 weeks). This will leave me 4lbs below my BMI being 25 and the lightest I've been since I was 18 - I'll be 26 by the festival. 

Been on slimming world so far and loving it. Finding it quite easy compared to calorie counting, weigh watchers etc. as I can eat proper meals and eat out if I choose wisely. Still been drinking too but mostly spirits and diet mixer with the odd lager 

Not a drop of cider has passed my lips this year. My first one will be at about 11am on the 22nd June at the farm. 

I do Slimming World too, the only man in my group!

I've given up for a few months a couple of times since I started in 2014, thinking I can do it by myself but it never works out and things drift. I've realised that having to pay to attend (and being tight fisted) gives me a huge kick up the arse to stick with it.

Thanks for all the replies, some really stellar results. Looking forward to watching progress.

28 minutes ago, Heather90 said:

Fantastic progress! If I may ask, how have you done it?

Thanks

Cambridge weight plan.

replacement shakes and meals, low carb, low calorie.

you run your on board carb reserves right down, go into ketosis so you burn fat, not muscle. Takes about 7 days to get into ketosis then if you stick to it you lose about 5-7 pounds a week. I do it in 2 month stints with a controlled break. Works for me.

you have to stick to it though, one bit of carb and you come out of ketosis.

you feel really good in ketosis, full of energy, no wind or heartburn that you may get from eating carbs.

you have to drink at least 2 litres of water a day and you get shocking bad breath

Edited by Smeble

I pay for the countdowns as it helps me drag myself there. I live in an area with lots of students so it's a young group with people who struggle with the same things as me (alcohol and chocolate). I find that really helps and makes the meetings more fun. 

I'm losing slowly but steadily but I imagine my struggle will come with the maintaining. One guy in my group has lost 3st in 9 weeks, madness! Good luck and keep going!

looks like a new 12 week plan is on!

I already lift twice a week, pilates to stretch and keep flexible, and I could do with a cardio session, thats what i am weak in! but as I have a dodgy heart I need to be a bit careful.

Anyone got any cool ways to mix up my lifting plan? I might try dropsets, not done any yet.

Fitbit keeps me on my toes, well when the kids are back to school! 

I am lean so dont need weight loss :)

At glasto i really suffer with my lower back, i think i carry myself differently with a backpack on,lol i dunno but it kills my lower back no matter what i do and need to sit a lot #old

I started in January with the rough idea of being fit enough to bumble around all day and not worry about taking my tshirt off when its blazing sunshine.

So far I've gone from 17st 7lbs to 14 10lbs.  Still got a couple of months to go, but I'm happy with the progress so far.

7 minutes ago, Smeble said:

you run your on board carb reserves right down

See this is where you lose me, fully confessed pasta addict here! So much so the 60g portions on Weight Watchers made me miserable.

I am reducing my carb intake at the moment by cauliflower rice, vegetable chips and spiralized vegetable spaghetti as replacements a few times a week. Still have pasta, rice or potatoes about 4 meals a week in total. 

Glad to hear you found something that works for you though. Good luck!