Using a friend's ticket

allpaul

So I've been offered my friend's Glastonbury ticket, the problem is that we are different genders! I've told the other people going that there is no chance in me getting in but they seem to think that because the ticket includes coaches we will have a different ticket check/not go through the general entrance and because the person who purchased all the tickets is with me we can prove it isn't a touted ticket. Does anyone have any experience of getting turned away when using someone else's ticket?

I've heard stories of people getting in with other people's ticket but definitely not if they're of the opposite gender. They hand out the festival tickets during the coach ride and I imagine if the name on the ticket is obviously not your own you won't even be given it.

You still have to go through gate A if you're on a coach, so if anything, you have more checks because the person giving out tickets on the coach might notice and refuse to give you it. 

The deadline for cancelling tickets will be in May, so if your friend is able to pay the balance temporarily, I'd suggest doing that, then trying the resale yourself. They can always refund theirs if you're successful, then you wouldn't need to risk it. 

We go in a large group each year and there has been someone using a mates ticket for each of the past 4 festivals. All have succeeded in gaining access to the festival, however its progressively become more squeacky as weve gone through the gates.

Last year was really close. As we went through Gate D, i saw that my friend using another friends ticket (he looked absolutely nothing like the person on the ticket) was heading for a person who was meticulously checking every person as they went through, leaving absolutely no room for error. Seeing this, i acted in grabbing my friend and putting him the line of someone who evidently looked like theyd rather be anywhere but checking tickets. 

Had my friend continued on his original path, he would almost 100% have been told to go home. As it turned out they were granted access without a 2nd look. 

Moral of the story? If ur using a mates ticket, be vigilant going through the gates. Pick someone who looks like theyll be nice. And pray.

I've found that every year they seem to check more and more that you look like the person in the picture, to the point where I was asked to take off my sunnies last year by the wristband girl.

Your best bet (although still pretty unlikely to work) is to try and get the picture or name updated against the registration number. No idea how you'd go about it, but better you find out that way then being turned away at the coach/gate.

Last year someone I know used another persons' ticket, when the ticket arrived with the actual photo on he called up Seetickets and said there had been some mistake and that the ticket was sent with the wrong photo and explained that it may have been because of having so many numbers written down on ticket day. They were pretty accommodating and he had to send back the ticket he received, and they resent a ticket with his picture.

It's not a guarantee and I was pretty surprised they did change it. If you're willing to risk the money without any real chance of getting in when there are numerous resales bound to come up in the next couple of months then you can try. 

I wouldn't risk it being a different sex, I got in on a fiends ticket last year. was squeaky bum time as they checked every ticket, they got to mine and my friends we distracted them with some friendly banter and she nearly glanced at it , if at all look at it.

my friends went in gate A and they were sure I wouldn't get in as they checked every ticket taking off hats and sun glasses the lot, and even questioned peoples tickets that had old photo's on.

you could risk it for a biscuit , but be prepared for a long wait or a trip home

Also was asked to remove sunglasses and confirm postcode at Gate A. I'd moved 2 weeks before and couldn't remember which address was on ticket. Didn't help it was my first time and I'd traveled separately to my friend. I had to get inside the festival and then find her and her friends (which I didn't know).

I knew I had my driving licence and student card with me to prove it was me but it was still squeaky bum time.Honestly, try your luck in the resale. I can't imagine how gutting it would be to be turned away

32 minutes ago, big__phil said:

I've found that every year they seem to check more and more that you look like the person in the picture, to the point where I was asked to take off my sunnies last year by the wristband girl.

Your best bet (although still pretty unlikely to work) is to try and get the picture or name updated against the registration number. No idea how you'd go about it, but better you find out that way then being turned away at the coach/gate.

Yeah, I went back and forth through the gates 5 times last year, and was asked to remove my sunglasses every time. 

Dont think you can change the photo once a ticket has been bought, as this would make touting easy. 

I was nearly stopped with my own ticket last year. Had about three people check it even with my driving licence in hand they struggled to work out the only real difference was my hair length. I was bricking it for a bit but got through in the end. But yes the people on the gates were checking and checking again..!

In the past I've been asked to remove my sunglasses and have also been asked for ID (which I refused to show, as it was in the bottom of a bag I really could not get to without unpacking all of my kit right there in the ticket line!) just because my hair was dyed a slightly redder shade of red to that on my own photo on my own ticket.

There's no way you will get in on a ticket of a different gender - and you should not be putting the ticket checker in that difficult position either. 

Getting the ticket on the coach will probably be fine, they don't really care whenever I've done it. But on the gate they definitely check. My friend got IDed coming in Gate A last year, and I had to take my sunglasses of so they could get a good look at me. I look nothing like my photo and still got in...

You could risk it with different genders... but it will large depend on how you and they look, and how drastically you want to change to look like them! I suspect it might be easier for a guy to wack some make up on a wig on (properly drag up, not like you would for a night out) then a girl to look like a guy. 

Just get yourself a ticket in the resale.

55 minutes ago, Yokel Again said:

Depends on how much the £200+ means to you I guess! 

If it were only £200 and I lived locally I would potentially risk it.  Worst case scenario with a coach is you get turned away, then have 5 days outside the fence with nowhere to stay before you can get home.

I went on the coach two years ago and the driver asked each person their name then checked the photo as they handed them the ticket. This was before leaving London. If it was the same gender I'd say give it a go, but I think you'd just end up disappointed. Sorry!