Female acts

A Guy Called Matt

I may have missed some or added up wrong but looking at the poster there are 25 acts with females so far, which is good I suppose..... but last year there were 23 on the initial poster so I would guess given Emily's comments there are lots more females to be announced.... but who might they be?

This is last years poster adjusted for females:

1000.jpg?w=700&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&f

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, russycarps said:

we've got our one token female headliner on the main 2 stages, let us rejoice!

and then of course there is the critically acclaimed and award winning pj harvey in the prestigious 3rd from top other stage slot.

Yes, this truly is looking like the year women get equality.

Gillian Gilbert... Nancy Whang... I suppose it only counts if they're singing.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Gillian Gilbert... Nancy Whang... I suppose it only counts if they're singing.

LCD wont headline and Gillian is one woman in a group of 5 so that's ok then. You can tell from the publicity photos how the band view her (you might need a magnifying glass)

New-Order.jpg

1401x788-CK_rbsTVAAA9M1z.jpg

29 minutes ago, A Guy Called Matt said:

I may have missed some or added up wrong but looking at the poster there are 25 acts with females so far, which is good I suppose..... but last year there were 23 on the initial poster so I would guess given Emily's comments there are lots more females to be announced.... but who might they be?

This is last years poster adjusted for females:

1000.jpg?w=700&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&f

Which are the acts you've identified?

is it bad that I only saw one of the acts on the poster (once it had been adjusted for women) and I didn't want to see her.

I only wanted to see Palomo faith, but had restless legs and went wondering got lost and sat in a throne for three hours

1 minute ago, shuttlep said:

is it bad that I only saw one of the acts on the poster (once it had been adjusted for women) and I didn't want to see her.

I only wanted to see Palomo faith, but had restless legs and went wondering got lost and sat in a throne for three hours

It's not bad.  Nothing wrong with being drawn to music made by your own gender.  

But imagine what it's like for women.

I there's 4 female acts that I want to see this year from this years poster. Laura mvula, savages, cyndi lauper and of monsters and men.

edit: make that 5 with chvrches and 6 if Lucy Rose gets added.

Edited by 6t6o6m

7 minutes ago, russycarps said:

LCD wont headline and Gillian is one woman in a group of 5 so that's ok then. You can tell from the publicity photos how the band view her (you might need a magnifying glass)

She's the keyboard player, and I would imagine that most keyboard players will be stood at the back of band photos. Stephen Morris is stood at the back as well.

Anyway they're still women in the band despite how many men are also part, and one woman singing with four men behind her would be looked upon differently. One of the big problems is that people only see female contribution as leading the group, when in reality there are actually plenty of female voices but not enough are being inspired to pick up instruments and be part of the band.

This obviously becomes quite complex when you try to qualify which acts count.

Kamasi Washington has prominent female vocalists on his record, so plausibly will have them on stage - does that count?

Surely the Syrian National Orchestra will have at least one female playing. But if its just one, that hardly counts as a success, does it?

20 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's not bad.  Nothing wrong with being drawn to music made by your own gender.  

But imagine what it's like for women.

I don;t think it has anything to do with being drawn to my own gender. Just I wasn't interested in any of their music. Mary J is who I saw and I hated every minute. Palmo Faith I would have loved to have seen. Bit gutted that I changed my mind last minute . but these things happen. 

I will be there watching Adele, and would have seen Dolly if I went that year. I am not actually that bothered about Adele but will go for the spectacle

23 minutes ago, A Guy Called Matt said:

No, just a really lazy answer as I have to go out..... I'll do a list later unless someone beats me to it.

Of course not, I was just calling back to that recent meme to label a reasonable response to an unreasonable question "a mealy mouthed reply".  Putting a smiley on it would have ruined the impact.

I mean, would this have been as dramatic?

MealeySmile.png

But I wouldn't want you to think I really thought your reply was mealy mouthed!

Edited by stuartbert two hats

10 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Excellent work.  I wish someone could be bothered to do the reverse - which acts include at least one man.

Challenge accepted... (im working lates so have time to kill this morning).

Slightly more damning when u look at it this way

received_10207651939989401.jpeg