Female acts

A Guy Called Matt

I can see plenty more female fronted acts being there. 

But don't want any act there just as a token gesture. For example Spice Girls because they bring girl power.

Sunflower bean, Haim, Lucy Rose, Rita Ora, Ella Eyre, Foxes, Marina and the Diamonds, Lorde, the Kills, Skunk Anansie, All Saints and Courtney Barnett are all creditable and all could turn up I think.

Also Faithless and Rodrigo Y Gabriela both could be on the line up.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally seem to prefer female artists, not sure why but usually find female vocals carry more emotion and have a wider range (generally speaking of course). So it's good to see Glastonbury taking a conscious effort to push more females into the lineup. It's certainly not the case at some of the other big festivals.

Women have a lot more to give in music and although it's still slow progress, it's progress nonetheless and giving girls the platform should pave the way for female acts to take higher profile slots in the future. It's difficult in a sense as young girls aren't - or weren't - encouraged towards music-related hobbies, but that's certainly changing and it's clear from the number of really talented females cropping up in the past few years. 

The best surprise they could pull out for me now would be to announce Janelle Monáe, although that's highly unlikely isn't it? 

My band seeing opportunities are limited, so just for fun (yeah I know) in 2014 I decided to only watch female fronted acts.  I did Blondie, Dolly, Lily, Lana, St Vincent, ESG, Yoko & Cate Le Bon.  And only 2 bloke ones (James Blake & John Grant) making it an 80% female year for me.

2015 I decided to only see eatable bands: Hot Chip, The Egg, Goat, Lamb, Patti Smith, Pussy Riot etc….

3 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Of course not, I was just calling back to that recent meme to label a reasonable response to an unreasonable question "a mealy mouthed reply".  Putting a smiley on it would have ruined the impact.

I mean, would this have been as dramatic?

MealeySmile.png

But I wouldn't want you to think I really thought your reply was mealy mouthed!

I have not seen that before :-)

I also have no idea what being mealy mouthed actually is, so it may have been good.

1 minute ago, MattDavies__ said:

To be fair, the Syrian Orchestra needs to be on the women's one if you're gonna include on the bloke's one 

Are there females in that collective? I based it the cameo they made during Gorillaz shows before and there only seemed to be men. Could well be wrong tho.

11 minutes ago, T-Mouse said:

Are there females in that collective? I based it the cameo they made during Gorillaz shows before and there only seemed to be men. Could well be wrong tho.

Yup, think so. It's massively expanded since the Gorillaz shows - there are now nearly 100 members, I believe. 

Is this a good argument for an 'assertive' approach to booking female artists - Emily has gone on record as saying that she's been actively looking for female acts, and they're still only 1/3 of the lineup - doesn't that show the systemic nature of the issue?

Don't think any accusations of tokenism can be laid at these bookings - think  it show that being active on this is to be encouraged.

There have already been so many fantastic new albums released by female fronted bands this year!

Hopefully some of these artists will be added to the lineup...

– Christine & The Queens
– Eerie Wanda
– Eleanor Friedberger
– Emma Pollock
– Flowers
– Hælos
– The Jezabels
– King
– Palehound
– Sunflower Bean
– Quilt
– Victoria Hume

My ultimate would be to have Sara Bareilles playing one year, in Acoustic maybe. This year is not the year as she's working on her musical, but desperate to see her one year.

Realistically I'm looking for some of the following: Foxes, Tove Lo, BeBe Rexha, Birdy, Marina & The Diamonds, VV Brown, Metronomy, Nina Nesbitt, Robyn, Katy B, Alessia Cara.

We shall see but it's a pretty decent showing so far..

2 hours ago, rawaudioinput said:

Really happy that Emily is making an effort to book more female acts, mainly just because every female act coming through at the moment is so bloody good

Hyperbole aside, maybe thats the real reason why we have so many this year? That the festival actually have decent female acts to choose from and put on the lineup. (of a certain popularity),

But back to the mutual backslapping for mentioning going to see a band with a female in it :P

It definitely will have something to do with it, hopefully the move also filters out the Catfishes of the world

If the festival were booking mediocre acts on the basis they were female I would not be in favour of the move at all, however at the moment I can't think of a bad female band that are active

Also I just wanted another opportunity to mention Savages tbh

13 hours ago, king_oxymoron said:

Realistically I'm looking for some of the following: Foxes, Tove Lo, BeBe Rexha, Birdy, Marina & The Diamonds, VV Brown, Metronomy, Nina Nesbitt, Robyn, Katy B, Alessia Cara.

I was really hoping to see most of these on this year's line up. Fingers crossed for some lad additions! Not forgetting Susanne Sundfor.

49 minutes ago, rawaudioinput said:

It definitely will have something to do with it, hopefully the move also filters out the Catfishes of the world

If the festival were booking mediocre acts on the basis they were female I would not be in favour of the move at all, however at the moment I can't think of a bad female band that are active

Also I just wanted another opportunity to mention Savages tbh

Savages' new album is excellent, I can't stop listening to it.