Terrorism

stopwn1981

6 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

True, but but it still maybe signifies a failure, or limiting, of imagination.  For the most part life in say, Syria really wasn't all that different from life in the UK - and there's nothing wrong with hoping that people empathise more, rather than less 

I would argue that it doesn't signify a failure at all, it is merely a natural reaction, it is the way we are "programmed".

For example. People die of cancer every minute of the day and you cannot grieve for them all or worry about your own mortality as a consequence, it just isn't possible. If a good friend or a family member dies of cancer it is devastating and you will spend time grieving and you will worry about your own health, someone in your street dies of cancer it's "oh that's awful, his/her poor family" and get on with your life, someone in the next street and it's "hmm"...

Same thing with "Terrorism" and it why organisations such as ISIS seek to bring death and terror to our shores. The best way to defeat them is to simply live your life. (Oh better still, try and stop our government from invading other countries and "power projection")

Peace and love, no more bombs in my name please.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Rumblestripe said:

I would argue that it doesn't signify a failure at all, it is merely a natural reaction, it is the way we are "programmed".

The only point I'm really making is that there's no harm in trying to adapt said 'programming'.

Anyway, anything that helps break down the (artificial) partitions between an 'us' and a 'them' is alright by me; and I'm not sure your cancer analogy - caring about the specific more than the generic - is quite the same thing. 

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The only point I'm really making is that there's no harm in trying to adapt said 'programming'.

Anyway, anything that helps break down the (artificial) partitions between an 'us' and a 'them' is alright by me; and I'm not sure your cancer analogy - caring about the specific more than the generic - is quite the same thing. 

Forgive me, I'm not trying to say you are wrong to say that, merely that it is built into our psyche. And for the reasons I was trying to illustrate with the cancer analogy.

Yeah - there's no doubt that there's more natural interest / empathy / whatever regarding events that happen in close proximity to the observer, and that's entirely understandable.  I just wonder whether lack of proximity  (or the 'different cultures' trope) is sometimes used as a broad brush with which to dismiss equivalent events - particularly by the media.

On 25/07/2016 at 0:13 PM, Avalon_Fields said:

Risk of death:

300,000,000/1 shark attack

300,000,000/1 fairground accident

250,000,000/1 falling coconut

11,000,000/1 plane crash

10,000,000/1 killed by lightning

10,000,000/1 killed by the escape of radiation from a nearby nuclear power station

9,300,000/1 dying in a terrorist attack

5,000,000/1 scalded by hot water

4,400,000/1 left-handed people killed using a right-handed product

3,500,000/1 dying of a snake bite

3,000,000/1 dying from food poisoning

2,300,000/1 dying from falling off a ladder

2,000,000/1 dying after falling out of bed

685,000/1 drowning in the bath

500,000/1 being killed in a train crash

43,500/1 being killed in an accident at work

8,000/1 killed in a road accident

5/1 dying from cancer

2.5/1 dying from a heart attack or stroke

1/1 Glastonbury terrorist - Don't buy that ticket in October! ;-)

What odds can I get for a terrorist attack and plane crash double? Going away next month.

Edited by elgatonegrofabricwardrobe

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

...sometimes used as a broad brush with which to dismiss equivalent events - particularly by the media.

Sadly we get the media we demand/consume. Hence "The Sun", "The Daily Star", "The Daily Mirror", et bleedin cetera. Reactionary fear mongering with naked teenagers, or the Daily Mail, reactionary fear mongering with disapproving articles about naked teenagers (usually illustrated to show what you should disapprove of...)

On 7/27/2016 at 10:23 AM, Nobody Interesting said:

So to change my post:
Meanwhile a train driver in Cheltenham is shot through the window of his cab and it only get a minor mention on the local news for the Midlands. The person doing the shooting was white.

Meanwhile a train driver's cab window was damaged by unknown causes, one of many possibilities is a pellet gun shot. Nobody was hurt. It only gets a minor mention on the local news for the Midlands, because it's minor local news for the Midlands.

• 3 months later...
On 27/03/2016 at 11:45 AM, stopwn1981 said:

Bit of a miserable thought, but is this something to worry about in terms of Glastonbury? Can't think it would be top of any hit list, but big crowds are a soft target. Never hurts to be vigilant. Thoughts?

The festival security have a plan in place. I doubt anything will ever happen, but if it did everyone would be as safe as they could be because the festival are prepared for it.

25 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Those poor poor people in Paris. A year after the horrific attacks in the Bataclan, they have to endure further misery with a Sting concert. 

http://www.wsj.com/articles/pariss-bataclan-to-reopen-on-nov-12-with-sting-concert-1478247702

I thought Pete Doherty's concert on the 16th was the Bataclan reopener? (Going with my daughter, never read such a crock of shit as some of the scaremongering comments in this thread, glad I missed it at the time).

18 minutes ago, MadScientist said:

The festival security have a plan in place. I doubt anything will ever happen, but if it did everyone would be as safe as they could be because the festival are prepared for it.

They'd have to have a bloody devious plan to get a couple of tickets for starters.