Adele sub headliner?

Mark Pooler

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

One of the two, I guess. It just seems blatantly obvious to me as it's where it'd make sense for them to go, it's where we've heard they'll go and it's where Sykes apparently said they're playing. I just feel like there are people, possibly the majority now, that are trying not to believe it.

I suppose it's possible they could play before Disclosure or something but have an equal length set given there was that info last year that Ben Howard and his band thought they were headlining it but yeah, I reckon they're probably still a bigger deal than LCD so headlining it seems most likely to me too.

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think people thinking BMTH aren't gonna headline is less to do with thinking they're not right/big enough/whatever (although that obviously comes in to it somewhat) and more to do with the fact we have three other acts here who in any other circumstances we'd be saying 'Other headliners, nailed on'. LCD not headlining Other seems absurd to me, and likewise with Disclosure really, who i've been pitting as a Other headliner for this year for as long as i can remember

Just now, SwedgeAntilles said:

I'm going for;

PYRAMID

Muse - Adele - Coldplay

Foals - TBC - Ellie G

OTHER

Disclosure - New Order - LCD

Bastille - CHVRCHES - BMTH

aye i'm in agreement with this

2 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I'm going for;

PYRAMID

Muse - Adele - Coldplay

Foals - TBC - Ellie G

OTHER

Disclosure - New Order - LCD

Bastille - CHVRCHES - BMTH

That feels like the consensus at this point.

Your point about D, NO & LCD fitting the mould of the Other headliners is worth bearing in mind I think. I get that no stage at Glastonbury ever has a nailed on genre or whatever, but looking at what's happened recently it certainly makes the most sense. 

There's always the chance that LCD and BMTH could joint headline that stage on the Sunday.

2 hours ago, McCor said:

So I guess I should educate myself re Kendrick....

listen to his album Good Kid, M.A.A.D City:

https://play.spotify.com/album/748dZDqSZy6aPXKcI9H80u

then read this after:

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/the-narrative-guide-to-kendrick-lamars-good-kid-maad-city

after that listen to the "To Pimp A Butterfly" album, which is more instrumental jazz-influenced.

Edited by ghostdancer1

15 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

I suppose it's possible they could play before Disclosure or something but have an equal length set given there was that info last year that Ben Howard and his band thought they were headlining it but yeah, I reckon they're probably still a bigger deal than LCD so headlining it seems most likely to me too.

Yeah there have been a couple of subs with at least as long as the headliner in recent years, but Sykes is meant to have said (to the esteemed IQ-Mag) that they're playing at the same time so I don't think there'll be any of those shenanigans. 

9 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

LCD not headlining Other seems absurd to me, and likewise with Disclosure really, who i've been pitting as a Other headliner for this year for as long as i can remember

All their major UK festi slots this year are before other acts so it's not really that far out.

Edited by dentalplan

5 minutes ago, kaisherz said:

Must have been already, but Noel and his high flying birds are surely a real possibility, with a world tour kicking off the week after?

Noel's said directly that he wasn't doing this year, but he's always been a bit of a bullshitter so I definitely don't think it could be written off. It terms of crowd crossover/mainstream appeal I actually think they would work as an Adele sub. I think the biggest obstacle would be the Noel fancies himself as a headliner, in any capacity, as opposed to a sub.

Just now, dentalplan said:

Yeah there have been a couple of subs with at least as long as the headliner in recent years, but Sykes is meant to have said (to the esteemed IQ-Mag) that they're playing at the same time so I don't think there'll be any of those shenanigans. 

All their major UK festi slots this year are before other acts so it's not really that far out.

well i'd kind of settled with them subbing Adele until all this secret act stuff began. it seemed odd to me but no less odd than some other ordering at Glastonbury. Other headliner just seems like it'd be a much better fit in every way. plus there's Mr Bastille Man's tidbit. all obviously wishful thinking in the hope it'll solve my Friday night clash crisis

10 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

well i'd kind of settled with them subbing Adele until all this secret act stuff began. it seemed odd to me but no less odd than some other ordering at Glastonbury. Other headliner just seems like it'd be a much better fit in every way. plus there's Mr Bastille Man's tidbit. all obviously wishful thinking in the hope it'll solve my Friday night clash crisis

If Disclosure headline Friday, RH or KL plays before Adele, and LCD headline Other Sunday it'll be the perfect scenario.

I might be way off the mark here, but if Radiohead are booked as "special guests* (a fancy word for subliner) then I reckon they'll just play whatever they like and play mostly new stuff. If they play next year as headliners instead, they'd perhaps be more likely to throw in more hits? I know you never know with Radiohead and they basically do what they want, but a Glastonbury headliner leaving out nearly all their hits would be very odd in my eyes.

For me as a fan, but not a huge fan, I'd much rather have a more hits dominated set.

Just now, Odessa said:

I might be way off the mark here, but if Radiohead are booked as "special guests* (a fancy word for subliner) then I reckon they'll just play whatever they like and play mostly new stuff. If they play next year as headliners instead, they'd perhaps be more likely to throw in more hits? I know you never know with Radiohead and they basically do what they want, but a Glastonbury headliner leaving out nearly all their hits would be very odd in my eyes.

For me as a fan, but not a huge fan, I'd much rather have a more hits dominated set.

Given their setlist tonight has included Karma Police, Exit Music, Lucky, National Anthem, There There, Idioteque etc. I don't think they'd turn up before Adele and just do obscure stuff. You never know, but I doubt it!

26 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Sykes is meant to have said (to the esteemed IQ-Mag) that they're playing at the same time

I've just checked this out as I have no recollection of it. IQ Mag reported that Oli Sykes told Loaded Mag at the NME Awards that they're on at the same time as Coldplay.

However, I've just read the article Loaded ran about BMTH headlining Other after the NME Awards and there is no quote whatsoever about them being opposite Coldplay. If Sykes did say that to them you'd have thought they'd have reported it.

None of the quotes in the article contain any mention of what slot/stage they'll be in/who they'll be up again. All he says is that they're stepping out of their comfort zone and playing Glastonbury.

3 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

I've just checked this out as I have no recollection of it. IQ Mag reported that Oli Sykes told Loaded Mag at the NME Awards that they're on at the same time as Coldplay.

However, I've just read the article Loaded ran about BMTH headlining Other after the NME Awards and there is no quote whatsoever about them being opposite Coldplay. If Sykes did say that to them you'd have thought they'd have reported it.

None of the quotes in the article contain any mention of what slot/stage they'll be in/who they'll be up again. All he says is that they're stepping out of their comfort zone and playing Glastonbury.

I wonder if Sykes mentioned they were playing Sunday night, and Loaded assumed he meant opposite Coldplay? 

1 minute ago, jparx said:

I wonder if Sykes mentioned they were playing Sunday night, and Loaded assumed he meant opposite Coldplay? 

Potentially, but in that article Loaded don't even mention what day they're on. It wasn't until a much later article stating the headliners were Disclosure, New Order and BMTH that they specified a day for them, I don't think.

1 minute ago, Will-2609 said:

Potentially, but in that article Loaded don't even mention what day they're on. It wasn't until a much later article stating the headliners were Disclosure, New Order and BMTH that they specified a day for them, I don't think.

It could have just been guess work given how they acted that night. If Sykes explicitly said they were on at the same time as Coldplay, you'd think they would run that quote.

If they are indeed on at the same time as Coldplay, I guess that could always mean the JPT. I'm not sure how set in stone the info on them is. 

"hey Oli and the boys, is it okay if we put you on before LCD Soundsystem? because, y'know, they're just much better than you etc"

"yeah that sounds about right, we're not very good. sure"

well i'm sold

3 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

didn't Neil said he'd had info from the Loaded article writer that he wasn't 100% on the position of BMTH and had pretty much assumed they were headlining?

I think it might've been a case of LCD becoming available a bit later than the others. Disclosure/NO/BMTH were the original bookings, they got LCD once the comeback was confirmed and BMTH dropped to sub. Neil's said before acts are often booked as subs with a view to them headlining if required, I think that's what's happened with BMTH.

29 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Are IQ-Mag and Loaded connected? Why would they have the exact same content?