Glasto Grime 2016

CaledonianGonzo

Kano's new album 'Made in the Manor' is pretty decent  and worth a listen, i have no idea how likely he is to be there tho.

Skepta seems to be doing festivals with his labal mates BBK (Boy Better Know), so they include JME, Frisco, Wiley etc. Really hoping BBK will be there, reckon they'd go down well high up in the JP.

Skepta and Stormzy have both had pretty big years, particularly with Shutdown and Shut Up, so doesn't seem unlikely that one or both could be there. I actually prefer Stormzy to Skepta, Dreamer's Disease is a great EP and Know Me From is a banger. 

Not sure what Ghetts is up to this summer but his Rebel With a Cause is a cracking album, definitely listen to that. Novelist also has some great tracks and Krept & Konan's Young Kingz mixtape is worth a listen. King Triton by JT the Goon is a pretty good instumental grime album too.

Not a huge fan of JME to be honest, but I know others are.

As far as other albums, Treddin' On Thin Ice still stands up and Ruff Sqwad's White Label Classics collection is off the fucking scale.

Edited by Winslow Leach

11 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Is there a, like, seminal genre defining grime album to listen to?

Treddin on Thin Ice by Wiley, White Label Classics by Ruff Sqwad and Boy In Da Corner by Dizzee Rascal.

Of the three, White Label Classics is a compilation of Ruff Sqwad's singles but it's also the best. You've basically got a genre being invented from the ground up by a bunch of teenagers using computers they were given to do their homework on.

14 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

Skepta and Stormzy have both had pretty big years, particularly with Shutdown and Shut Up, so doesn't seem unlikely that one or both could be there. I actually prefer Stormzy to Skepta, Dreamer's Disease is a great EP and Know Me From is a banger. 

Not sure what Ghetts is up to this summer but his Rebel With a Cause is a cracking album, definitely listen to that. Novelist also has some great tracks and Krept & Konan's Young Kingz mixtape is worth a listen. King Triton by JT the Goon is a pretty good instumental grime album too.

Not a huge fan of JME to be honest, but I know others are.

As far as other albums, Treddin' On Thin Ice still stands up and Ruff Sqwad's White Label Classics collection is off the fucking scale.

I need to check out the Ruff Sqwad album by the sound of things.

I know what you mean about JME, although 'That's Not Me' is a banger from Skepta's album and i'm also a big fan of  'Man Don't Care' with Giggs.

7 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

You've basically got a genre being invented from the ground up by a bunch of teenagers using computers they were given to do their homework on.

Best, most exciting recommendation I've read in years, Winslow.

2 minutes ago, bigfurbdogg said:

I need to check out the Ruff Sqwad album by the sound of things.

I know what you mean about JME, although 'That's Not Me' is a banger from Skepta's album and i'm also a big fan of  'Man Don't Care' with Giggs.

1 minute ago, Woffy said:

Best, most exciting recommendation I've read in years, Winslow.

Glad to help! There's a good chance you've already heard Functions on the Low before.

5 hours ago, bigfurbdogg said:

I'm definately not an expert on Grime music, but i suppose Dizzee's first album is one that comes to mind, although that mite sound a bit dated now.

He's doing that in full in New York this summer. That'd be brilliant but obviously full album sets don't rock up at Glasto much.

4 hours ago, Winslow Leach said:

Treddin on Thin Ice by Wiley

What happened to Wiley? How come he's not in on the surge in popularity of grime?