Most heartwarming Glastonbury moment?

stixmcvix

So the Most annoying Glastonbury moment? thread has been bringing me down a little, so lets share tales of when our fellow humans have actually been ruddy lovely and kind to you at Glastonburrries of yore.

My favourite moment was when I was sitting alone in the Stone Circle on the Sunday under the shade of a tree, and a lovely young man sat with me, gave me his last bit of rocky in order to share my cone of fresh stuff. I turned him down but was happy to share. We chatted about how great the whole weekend had been for about half an hour, then we shook hands and off he went. Was nice to know that not all strangers that approach you for a conversation have sinister ulterior motives (bar trying to share my herbal fare which I don't mind at all), as my dear old momma has drummed into me during my childhood. 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, stixmcvix said:

So the Most annoying Glastonbury moment? thread has been bringing me down a little, so lets share tales of when our fellow humans have actually been ruddy lovely and kind to you at Glastonburrries of yore.

My favourite moment was when I was sitting alone in the Stone Circle on the Sunday under the shade of a tree, and a lovely young man sat with me, gave me his last bit of rocky in order to share my cone of fresh stuff. I turned him down but was happy to share. We chatted about how great the whole weekend had been for about half an hour, then we shook hands and off he went. Was nice to know that not all strangers that approach you for a conversation have sinister ulterior motives (bar trying to share my herbal fare which I don't mind at all), as my dear old momma has drummed into me during my childhood. 

that's just the festival spirit, everyone should be like that. we say good mronig to everyone who walks past our camp in the morning . it's funny how many people are taken aback by it. 

we met a lovely young girl a few years back. she was wondering around on her own. she had lost her friends and her phone. so she tagged along with us, stayed with us  all day and until the wee hours when we walked her back to where she thought she was camping and waved good bye. I met up with her the next year. lovely girl she was a good laugh.

34 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

that's just the festival spirit, everyone should be like that. we say good morning to everyone who walks past our camp in the morning . it's funny how many people are taken aback by it. 

I've taken to doing that in real life - frightens the life out of people.

Just now, tjamest said:

I do to, smile at random people and say good morning .  nice up north you gets lots of hello's

tried it in London nearly got spat on

On the Wednesday night while I was waiting to get my face painted like a skeleton at the Common a the girl standing behind me told me I was beautiful. We had a little hug and it really put me in a great mood for the weekend ^_^ 

16 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Quite a heartwarming moment happened last year when I wasn't even attending.  Someone off here turned up on their own, but was really struggling for various reasons.  He reached out to the forum and was met with some wonderful reactions, notably from @kalifire.

This was indeed awesome.

I read this to my missus at the time and she was in tears.

Good ol' Kali.

Edited by Woffy

18 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Quite a heartwarming moment happened last year when I wasn't even attending.  Someone off here turned up on their own, but was really struggling for various reasons.  He reached out to the forum and was met with some wonderful reactions, notably from @kalifire.

I'm in floods reading that thread. I think @kalifire should be a mandatory ticketholder every year! He could set up his own stall for people feeling like they can't go on, fully stocked with water, sunblock, cool cider and limitless hugs. 

Truly heartwarming. 

21 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Yeah, Kalifire was a legend on that one. I got in touch with him too and invited him round to our camp for a drink and a chat, but unfortunately he decided to call it a day. Hope he gives it another try one day, ideally with friends who can give him a boost before he gets to the point of asking on here. 

22 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

That is an amazing thing to do wow that thread near had me in tears in work there!

This is exactly why i absolutely love this place, don`t get me wrong you`,ll always find 24 carat twats anywhere you go but you`re more likely to bump into some of the nicest kindest people anywhere in the UK.

Great thread and thanks for posting that Stuey. :thumbsu: 

33 minutes ago, Oldredeyes said:

Holding hands with some random Australian girl during Moby, porcelain at the other stage in 2000. 

Both overwhelmed with the sun setting beauty of the moment. 

Ha, weirdly I had a very similar experience during that Moby set, randomly hugging blissed-out strangers. It was all so beautiful, 'til someone shoved a bottle of poppers up my snozz...

But yes, great moment!

12 minutes ago, LeeGalvin said:

Ha, weirdly I had a very similar experience during that Moby set, randomly hugging blissed-out strangers. It was all so beautiful, 'til someone shoved a bottle of poppers up my snozz...

But yes, great moment!

That might have been me.  I was waving them around quite a lot at that gig!

37 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

This is the one I was thinking of as well S2H but you beat me to it.  I was going the next day and was in tears doing my packing!

Back in 2009, a year of welly-stealing mud, my then 8  year old son was ahead of me on a metal walkway and lost his balance .  I watched helplessly as he keeled over,  only to see 3 complete strangers catch him before he fell into the mud.  That moment's stayed with me, and along with Kalifire's actions, sums up the festival for me.

53 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Wow! Just wow. I didn't see this thread last year... Probably because I went straight to Spain from the festival... But this has just brought proud happy tears as well as sad helpless tears to my eyes. I was there and could've helped this chap if I'd have known. Kali is an absolute legend as well as the rest of the efests family. Thanx for sharing S2H! 

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Love this.

The overall warmth received from fellow attendees has been amazing in my first two years.

Two specific heartwarming moments were the crowd reaction when FATM took the stage, she must've been bricking it considering the circumstances and hearing that Scally's friend finally got in after losing her ticket.

The Bowie tribute will be quite something this year. I wonder what they have in store?

It'll sound like I'm blowing my own trumpet here but that's not what I'm trying to do. Quite a few years ago now there were some young girls camped next to us and it was their first Glastonbury. On the morning after the first night we stumbled across them all in tears. Apparently they had all been robbed of their cash whilst sleeping in their tents the night before. They were just about to pack up and try to get home when we heard about this. Then one of my mates sprang in to action and made us all cough up some of our spending cash for the weekend which we did without thought. As there was a fair few of us we were able to give them quite a bit of dosh to carry on the festival with. They were obviously taken aback by this but accepted the money. This was heartwarming to me because it was no skin off our nose to give them the money, but it made all the difference to them. Money well spent - for once.

The conversation with my daughter that went something like this...

Her... " everyone is just so nice here. I like it"

Me... " I know what you mean. I had always thought it would be friendly - but it's even better than I had hoped"

Her... " Even you're nicer here"

Me... "In what way?"

Her... " Oh I don't know - more relaxed. A bit more Glastonbury"

The use of Glastonbury as an adjective rather than a noun astonished me. Still fills me with a strange mixture of guilt, pleasure and pride. She was 12. Ever since, we've used it as a bit of a secret code at home.

Everyone should be a bit more Glastonbury.

3 hours ago, tjamest said:

That was such a culture shock for me when I moved to London. I'd say 'good morning' to people during my commute and they would think I was trying to mug them or something. What kind of world do we live in where greeting people in the morning is seen either as completely bizarre or even threatening?!

1 hour ago, TomViolence said:

The overall warmth received from fellow attendees has been amazing in my first two years.

Two specific heartwarming moments were the crowd reaction when FATM took the stage, she must've been bricking it considering the circumstances and hearing that Scally's friend finally got in after losing her ticket.

The Bowie tribute will be quite something this year. I wonder what they have in store?

Yeah that was awesome. The crowd really carried her through that show. I mean they were great, but if the crowd reaction was pants it would have been a disaster.