Most heartwarming Glastonbury moment?

stixmcvix

Brilliant thread, I've only been to Glastonbury twice before but both times have experienced the Glastonbury spirit, on the coach down from Birmingham in 2014 (my first time) after stupidly leaving all my booze in my bag in the belly of the coach the group in front of us decided we should share their vodka stash to get us in the mood, helped start the festival off on the right foot.

Then in 2015 after searching Row Mead for the perfect camping spot we found a pitch just big enough for our tent (or so we thought) however once half erected it was clear the tent wasn't going to fit, our neighbours quickly jumped to and moved their tents slightly to allow ours to fit. In return we kept a load of their stuff in our tent and ended up having a lot of laughs with them.

Also last year on the Friday night whilst I was not in a responding condition I lost my wallet, only to arrive home Monday morning to a facebook friend request from a legend who had my wallet and wanted to let me know before I cancelled my cards, they sent the wallet to me with all the cash still in it. 

Roll on June 22nd!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year was my first Glastonbury. We were staying in CV E21. I was so excited and got completely pissed. At about 1am me and my mate decided we should go for a cuppa. I remember putting my bag down and saying to my mate 'this bag has everything in it: all my money, my ticket, my son's iPhone, everything so don't let me forget it'. Consequently I woke up in the motorhome about 2 hours later and realised I hadn't come home with my bag. After hours of wandering around looking for it, asking people if they'd seen it I gave up and went back to bed. Later that morning I went and checked in the info hut 'just in case' someone had handed it in... They bloody had! 2 blokes that had met me and knew I was looking for it, handed it in. Everything was in it!!! I couldn't believe it!! Would love to know who they were and thank them! They are my heroes. They made my Glastonbury!!! Safe to say I'm gonna use the lock ups this year and hopefully not be such a dick!!! Although I cannot guarantee anything X

Love this so will add a few things. We are an Irish group that have been going in various formations since 1998.

There comes a point in most evenings where we'd love a sing song. Being useless though we know few lyrics. The upshot being we end up singing something obnoxious like the Irish Rover. I remember one night someone yelled 'Paddies, shut the fuck up with the singing' or something like that. It was a perfectly reasonable request; we were being annoying. But the next afternoon a sheepish looking young man approaced us and apoligised saying he was 'tired and in a bad mood' and hadn't behaved with the Glastonbury spirit.

We were the ones who owed the apology but much love all round.

Last time I went was with my daughter, then 7, in 2003. I was using an old pushchair to haul gear and carrying a load on my back, proper struggling down the hill of death and the chair looking like its collapsing under the weight.

Two blokes rock up, take a load of gear off me and help me not only to the wristband pick up but all the way up into the family field, took a tinny each in payment at my insistence and disappeared.

I'm a soft sod so find nearly everything heart warming. Well, when I'm not being a cynical so and so.. Few times that stand out to me..

Lost me phone and keys in 2003 and stood up at lost property in the queue as MIchael Eavis walks past slowly, looking concerned at the size of the queue, and a woman in front of me, in spite of that queue being probably the last place she wanted to be, just saying "thank you for this" to Michael, sincerely and seeing his face light up.. Few weeks later, my phone arrived in the post. It was knackered by then but it was there, just goes to show how honest people can be.

Faithless at 2010. I don't think I've ever seen anyone so humble and grateful to be on that stage as Maxi Jazz, and there's no better place for a song like We Come One.

At my first Glastonbury in 2002, stood a couple of rows back from the Pyramid watching Roger Waters and noticing one of the security walking up and down between the barrier and stage with someone's kid on their shoulders.

A daft one for me too. Like everyone else I'll carry a bag around with me all day and I'll keep a packet of summat daft like 500 wipes in there to use throughout out the day, before I eat and after the toilets inevitably run out of sanitiser. Offer a few around when that happens, obviously not gonna stand there and give em to everyone cos I'd never get away from there. But it's amazing how grateful people can be over summat so minor.

4 hours ago, RichardWaller said:

Faithless at 2010. I don't think I've ever seen anyone so humble and grateful to be on that stage as Maxi Jazz, and there's no better place for a song like We Come One.

This! I was there too, it was amazing to see! I love seeing how happy bands are to play the festival.

Also dropped my phone st the stone circle one year and a lovely man found it and posted it back to me.

So much stuff I could put in here. It's why I just love glastonbury, the atmosphere and people are just so lovely. In my first year I remember going to see a few bands on my own because my friends weren't interested in seeing them. Im pretty short so was really struggling to see but I was ok with it (used to not seeing) but there were a few rows of people in front of me who noticed. They all insisted I go in front of them and all moved together so I could get in a position to see one of the screens. They then insisted I join their group and dance with them and sing along to the act (I can't remember who it was!) I had such an amazing time with these strangers and our shared love for be band on stage. It really made my day! also gotta say about how amazing the security are there. One of my friends started to have a panic attack in the artic monkeys crowd a few years back (it did get pretty bad and we thought we had picked a quiet spot) and they spotted her and let her go over the barrier by one of the camera towers and really helped to calm her down and make her laugh and got her water to make sure she was ok. They really went out of their way to help! 

1 hour ago, Glasto8 said:

This! I was there too, it was amazing to see! I love seeing how happy bands are to play the festival.

Also dropped my phone st the stone circle one year and a lovely man found it and posted it back to me.

It was great to see wasn't it? Great performance, and what a nice lad. Huge contrast from Gorillaz the night before, I thought. Although I was a bit pissed so it's a bit hazy, but I got the impression then that Damon Albarn was acting like it was us who were lucky to see him not him lucky to be on that stage. For the second time in two years no less. Missed 2009 but saw Blur at Hyde Park, seemed a different person that night.

Nice one about the phone, too! 

1 hour ago, RichardWaller said:

It was great to see wasn't it? Great performance, and what a nice lad. Huge contrast from Gorillaz the night before, I thought. Although I was a bit pissed so it's a bit hazy, but I got the impression then that Damon Albarn was acting like it was us who were lucky to see him not him lucky to be on that stage. For the second time in two years no less. Missed 2009 but saw Blur at Hyde Park, seemed a different person that night.

Nice one about the phone, too! 

That's exactly how the Gorillaz felt to me too, like the crowd was irrelevant. 

Countless little things....

some young lads walking towards us on the way to the Other. One drops his full pint of Tuborg (I know..) and his 2 mates start taking the piss. I get 2 cold cans of Kronenbourg out of the coolbag and pass them to him as we cross. His face lit up. Could hear him behind me afterwards "who's laughing now then?"...

stood watching Snoop in 2010. Left to catch Turin Brakes, walking along, a young woman stops me, says "you're burning" and proceeds to put sunblock on my face and neck, before giving me a peck on the cheek and walking off...

watching the Courteeners last year. Two Welsh lasses stood in front of us started talking about wanting to get on someone's shoulders as they couldn't see. Me and a mate look at each other and shrug, before volunteering. They said it made their festival...

Being falling down drunk in the SE corner and being virtually carried the length of the railway line by 2 blokes who then pointed me towards my camp, before heading back the way they came.

Everyone should be a bit more Glastonbury.

In 1997, after the Prodigy set, four of us got separated in the crowds on the way back to the tent where we were to grab some more supplies for the wee hours.

I was a little discombobulated and the struggle finding our camp was harsh in the mire. I stopped dead in my tracks and looked down. Under my feet was a massive blue carrier bag with about fifteen tins of beer inside. I asked a couple of people nearby if they had lost a bag but no one claimed it. 

I was sure I was near our tent but it all looked so different. I heard a voice asking me if I was 'alright'. It was a chap with about four of his friends sat around a campfire. I told them I was lost and they insisted I sat down with them. Really friendly guys, the guitar came out and soon a spicy one was being passed around.  Who better to share my latest beer haul with I thought. After an hour, I heard a familiar voice calling out my name. It was my best mate, also lost and throughly discombobulated. The group I was with welcomed him to the newly found shindig. It wasn't long before I heard two more voices asking someone in our new group if they had seen a bloke with long hair in a Levellers t shirt (me). Alas. The missing links in our glasto jigsaw. We hugged, high fived, drank, smoked and played tunes til the Sun came up. I got to my feet and stretched skyward and that's when I saw it. 4 feet to my right. The tent. Our tent. 

Forget the bad press about the mud, ecoli and the trench foot. It was by far the best Glasto I have been to. 

Edited by KernowKrusty

My moment was a simple pleasure, just seeing the look on my 8yr olds face when the who struck the first few chords of pinball wizard. Wish I'd have got a photo he was truly made up, and nearly a year on (like eternity for a young lad) he talks about it nearly everyday. I'm hoping for more of these moments this year.

@Yoghurt on a Stick

That was so nice of you all.  Those girls will always remember you for your act of kindness.

I wasn't there last year and the lovely feeling I got from reading the Kalifire thread made my sadness at not being there disappear.

My moment was in 2002, my 2nd Glastonbury and my then boyfriend's first. 

He had made an inpulse market purchase of a thick jacket earlier in the day.

We were in a crowd outside a tent and he just buckled and collapsed.  Lots of people were yelling "what's he taken" and I was shouting "nothing he doesn't do drugs, he has a heart condition"  In retrospect we decided he was too hot and hadn't eaten much, so he probably just fainted, but at the time it was really frightening.

A lovely girl helped us get away from the crowd, she found us somewhere to sit, got him a drink and just chatted to us until we felt better.  Then she gave us both a hug and went on her way.

I remember the cold side /kalifire event. I was pitched up nearby in line kiln so was ready to help but he left before hand.

My first fest I only did Thursday to Mon and had someone pitching up tents etc so felt I eased my self into it... But everyone has those wtf moments.  

My own tale of Glastonbury love happened last year in the early morning you know that time before the sun cooks you alive in the tent but after the first trip to the long drop.... Well, whilst  dozing we hear a girl shouting "help" over and over...without thinking my other half lept out of the tent in a superhero fashion to investigate... Turns out her gas fire was badly connected and on fire with leaking gas going everywhere!  A few singed arm hairs later we managed to get it out and stop it from re ignighting....  After saving her life she did make us a brew :)

There's a young lady out there somewhere who helped one of my mates get back to our camping area. She went to the long drops and saw this pair of legs pocking out from underneath a long drop cubicle. When she'd finished her business she came out of her own long drop and noticed that these legs were still sticking out of the cubicle opposite. Instead of ignoring the situation she went over, opened the door, and found one of my friends with his head in the hole of the long drop, not in a very favourable situation. To cut a long story short she got him back to our campsite. The lord only knows how she managed that given his bulk and her slight weight. Anyway, here's to you that young lady, you truly did the right thing. It must have taken you forever but you didn't give up. There's your Glastonbury spirit for you.

• 1 year later...

Thought I would give this a bit of a bump as we're rapidly approaching this years festival. It's a good reminder that it's not just your festival and helping to improve others experiences will usually end up improving yours!

I had quite a few encounters with the 'Glastonbury spirit' last year, many an unfortunate stranger had to help me out of the mud, there was also the women who had a good cry with me on the Sunday night during Coldplay. I was taken in by several strangers after losing my friends on the Friday night and not wanting to call it a night yet I ventured off alone only to make new friends. On the Wednesday evening as I was walking along the railway track I came across a group who were struggling with their stuff, having clearly arrived later than planned, so I helped them with their things to their desired camping field, as I felt bad their Glastonbury had gotten off to such a bad start.

Lets make sure it's a good year aye!

Went completely solo to my first Glastonbury in 2013. Didnt know of any solo groups but always wanted to go, non of my mates wanted to.

I had underestimated the trek from car to campsite and just ended up getting lost. It was dark and i managed to find a small spot to camp, threw my tent in there. The tent wasnt even made correctly. im terrible with tents. Woke up to see my neighbours had set my tent correctly while i slept. They then adopted me for the full week of glastonbury, cooked breakfast for me and all sorts. Still in touch with them now, lovely people, they moved to australia but i hope one day to meet them on the farm and say thanks again !