Nuisance Adverts

bethannny

18 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

.... was reading this thread, and made me feel vaguely guilty ..... I derive a lot of enjoyment from here, with very little input. So against all my nature and Scottish upbringing, I've dusted off my wallet.... another sub in progress. Keep up the good work!

thanks  ... tho again, your transaction is 'stuck'.

it's the fault, apparently, of PayPal needing upgrades to software &/or hardware, and taking too long to return info about the transaction back to here.

There's a fix already for it, but I'm just waiting for confirmation that it won't impact onto a custom fix from a few months ago.

Apologies for the delay.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

thanks  ... tho again, your transaction is 'stuck'.

it's the fault, apparently, of PayPal needing upgrades to software &/or hardware, and taking too long to return info about the transaction back to here.

There's a fix already for it, but I'm just waiting for confirmation that it won't impact onto a custom fix from a few months ago.

Apologies for the delay.

Not a problem, I'm in no rush. Will keep an eye on it for a few days and get back to you if it doesn't appear to progress.

I had no idea the site was facing difficulties, and I'm sure a lot of people are the same. It's understandable why Adblock has become so prevalent in today's culture, maybe even necessary, but it does hurt small sites like this.

I think the huge upsurge in users is testament to how great a site this is, and I'm sure if the users knew it's a case of 'donate or lose the site', a lot of people here would be happy to help. I think stickying a page for donations is a totally reasonable thing to do.

Hell, Wikipedia has the donations banner, and that's arguably the best site on the internet.

Just now, captainmuscles said:

I had no idea the site was facing difficulties, and I'm sure a lot of people are the same. It's understandable why Adblock has become so prevalent in today's culture, maybe even necessary, but it does hurt small sites like this.

I think the huge upsurge in users is testament to how great a site this is, and I'm sure if the users knew it's a case of 'donate or lose the site', a lot of people here would be happy to help. I think stickying a page for donations is a totally reasonable thing to do.

Hell, Wikipedia has the donations banner, and that's arguably the best site on the internet.

If you care to look on this very page, there's a donations link.

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

If you care to look on this very page, there's a donations link.

I didn't recognise it as a link initially.  I found it earlier today, but I was looking for it.  I used the Find On Page facility and hovered my mouse around until I realised where link was.  I know you don't want to beg, but I'd consider the following:

• Move the donation section to the top of the page.
  • Make the link bold, like the festival news links.
  • Change the title from "Current Donate Goals", to something like "Donate Here To Support Efestivals".  That way there is a call to action and you've got the words "Donate" and "Donation" in case anyone searches the page for either of them (I tried searching for "donate" the first time.

I work with a conversion optimisation agency - do you want me to ask them for their thoughts?

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I didn't recognise it as a link initially.  I found it earlier today, but I was looking for it.  I used the Find On Page facility and hovered my mouse around until I realised where link was.  I know you don't want to beg, but I'd consider the following:

• Move the donation section to the top of the page.
  • Make the link bold, like the festival news links.
  • Change the title from "Current Donate Goals", to something like "Donate Here To Support Efestivals".  That way there is a call to action and you've got the words "Donate" and "Donation" in case anyone searches the page for either of them (I tried searching for "donate" the first time.

I work with a conversion optimisation agency - do you want me to ask them for their thoughts?

I would also suggest a target like "This Month's Costs". The current donations total is arbitrary, we don't know how much the site needs. Seeing the (current) total of £216 with no word of what the target is doesn't really give anyone incentive to donate.

3 hours ago, noplacelikehome said:

This has just happened to me too - it seemed like the payment went through paypal but when it tried to redirect to the site it just gives a spinning wheel, I will check online tomorrow if the payment has gone out and if not try again

it's now sorted for you. Apologies for the delay.

1 hour ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

.... was reading this thread, and made me feel vaguely guilty ..... I derive a lot of enjoyment from here, with very little input. So against all my nature and Scottish upbringing, I've dusted off my wallet.... another sub in progress. Keep up the good work!

and now you're sorted. Apologies for the delay.

Phew!

I'm glad to say there should be no more of that problem.

Neil, I do not post much but spend very many happy hours reading and would hate for it not to be here.

You have every right to push for donations and Gold Memberships from the very large number of folk who obviously enjoy it too so please do that and asap.

Dilly xx