Nuisance Adverts

bethannny

Sorry for starting a new topic as this has been covered elsewhere, but I'm having trouble clicking anywhere to find the thread!

I'm browsing on an iPhone 6+/iOS in Safari over 4G and these two keep butting in (started this morning) and making the site next to impossible to use:

http://offerwall.gmonetize.net/v2/index.html?key=22cdec20-2861-423a-92fb-8fe2b5640ca7&placement=LP92301_CD40623

^This one takes you to an advert page for game apps
^This one says the content isn't available in my area
I also keep getting the 'do you want to open the App Store' prompt when browsing the main page of he chat forum. These two links redirect me after I've opened a topic - the topic starts to load then I'm directed off. Going back only takes me back to the main chat page. Try again and it happens again!
Hope that's the info you need Neil!

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi Bethany.

Sorry you've had this problem. It's something we try very hard to stop but as the dodgy advertisers don't tell people they're dodgy we can only be aware of what they're doing when someone tells us ..  so thank you for telling us, and for the useful detail you've provided.

I'll pass this back to the ad-house, and the problem should be stopped shortly (as soon as they're at their desks).

(and thanks to the others, too).

Glad to be of use! 

I've also figured out a workaround for anyone else having this problem - one the ad starts trying to load you can stop it using the stop page load cross in the address bar. Then, voila, forum. You will need to do this every time you load something, but it works. 

Now I can go back to obsessing over tickets in the bloody Radiohead thread :unsure:

2 minutes ago, bethannny said:

Glad to be of use! 

I've also figured out a workaround for anyone else having this problem - one the ad starts trying to load you can stop it using the stop page load cross in the address bar. Then, voila, forum. You will need to do this every time you load something, but it works. 

Now I can go back to obsessing over tickets in the bloody Radiohead thread :unsure:

hi Bethany ... if you're able to do that, it would be incrediably helpful if you're able to tell me the ads you're seeing on the efests page when that happens - as one of the ads that's displaying should be the culprit.

13 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

hi Bethany ... if you're able to do that, it would be incrediably helpful if you're able to tell me the ads you're seeing on the efests page when that happens - as one of the ads that's displaying should be the culprit.

It varies between three:

1. Loads something starting ads.glispa then c.glispa then rd.glispa then the offerwall.monetise link (which gives me the game app page  

2. Loads the same ad.glispa then c.glispa sequence then the rd.glispa link (which gives me the content not available in your area page)

3. Loads something with tracking in the url, then 8330.api-03 then opens the App Store prompt, which takes me to the William Hill app. 

I've attached the screenshots I can get but they're speedy little buggers. 

image.png

image.png

2 minutes ago, mr gumby said:

I've had this happen a few more times now, but the area on each page where there's usually an ad, between the first 2 topics on the chat page, or the first 2 posts on a thread page, is just a pale grey square. No visible ads at all. 

Exactly this. 

Interestingly now I'm on wifi I'm getting directed to the Ladbrookes app instead. 

27 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I used this technique with the last batch of redirecting problems in the other thread, but I do worry if it stops eFestivals getting advertising revenue if you stop the forum page before its fully loaded the adverts? 

So far today I haven't had any problems today though (I did during that other thread)  I'm on Android, an LG G3, will let you know if that changes. 

6 minutes ago, Rumblestripe said:

I've recently re-enabled my ad-blocker because there are just so many adverts it is difficult to read the messages. I realise that you require the income that advertising brings but if it is at the cost of functionality you will lose traffic.

Using an ad blocker isnt a fair solution is it? You're essentially expecting eFestivals to work for free while you enjoy the fruits of their labour- for them it's just as damaging as losing traffic, but you're still having the cheek to use it for free. 

4 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Using an ad blocker isnt a fair solution is it?

You're absolutely right and I don't normally use an ad-blocker for this site but the site became unusable so I've re-enabled it temporarily. I usually make sure that click on one or two adverts per visit to make sure that Efests are getting revenue and I will disable the ad blocker and try again later.

I recently subscribed to Efestivals. I don't post that often, but I'm scanning the forums for information (and entertainment) many times a day.

I suggest that anyone using the site on a regular basis would be wise to do the same - if you can afford it, of course.
Click the 'Shop' tab at the top of the page and there is a box to buy the ad free subscription.

3 minutes ago, Rumblestripe said:

You're absolutely right and I don't normally use an ad-blocker for this site but the site became unusable so I've re-enabled it temporarily. I usually make sure that click on one or two adverts per visit to make sure that Efests are getting revenue and I will disable the ad blocker and try again later.

It's still a bit like going in a shop, finding the tills broken, then deciding to walk out with all the produce you were going to buy, warning them they'll lose customers if they don't fix them. Ad blockers will be the death of free Internet content 

43 minutes ago, Rumblestripe said:

I've recently re-enabled my ad-blocker because there are just so many adverts it is difficult to read the messages. I realise that you require the income that advertising brings but if it is at the cost of functionality you will lose traffic.

losing traffic is better than losing revenue. The existence of the site is on a knife-edge, because it can't survive for more than 2 months as things are.

You might think your presence is value enough. It's not.

31 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

I've been having trouble with the adverts as well I think, I've turned my Adblocker off but it keeps crashing the site to the point I have to kill the page in chrome. The problem goes away if Adblocker is on.

Snap unfortunately. If I don't have adblocker on my home laptop my computer slows to a complete crawl and makes the place unusable.

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

and efestivals goes away if your adblocker is on.

I ain't joking. It could be gone as soon as the end of this month, things are that critical.

I'm aware you rely on ad revenue which is why I'm trying to grin and bare it, just pointing out the site is becoming unusable when it's paused sometimes.