Secondary selling sites

devilman

There has been a lot of discussion about the morality and legality of secondary selling sites such as Viagogo and the role of promoters in this. On other forums Mr Copping is being called a glorified tout and there is a convoluted justification to this. Whatever the viewpoint, it would appear that LN support it and it is going to get worse if this article is to be believed.

http://www.completemusicupdate.com/article/live-nation-chief-says-live-sector-should-rethink-pricing/?utm_content=buffer0f3a2&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

17 minutes ago, devilman said:

Whatever the viewpoint, it would appear that LN support it and it is going to get worse if this article is to be believed.

I think you're perhaps stretching things a little too far.

It's certainly true, that in regar5d to pure market principles. many tickets are under-priced. There's scope for a fairly small number of artists to jack up their prices by quite a lot until the tickets stop selling. And from a promoter's point of view, touts are cutting in on that market which should be a promoters - and so a promoters extra share of profit too. It's no so surprising that promoters would highlight the anomalies which are (mostly) at their expense.

The problems would be created elsewhere if they chased those pennies tho, because the same demand led principle would see the tenner or twenty bands only be paid a quid or two, and the promoter would lose far more via that.

And so the only people promoters can appeal to in order to collect one and not the other is the greed of performers, and govt which might protect 'their' market from (both good & bad) competition. Both of these things promoters would like if they can get them, but I don't think even they think they'll get them.

20 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I think you're perhaps stretching things a little too far.

It's certainly true, that in regar5d to pure market principles. many tickets are under-priced. There's scope for a fairly small number of artists to jack up their prices by quite a lot until the tickets stop selling. And from a promoter's point of view, touts are cutting in on that market which should be a promoters - and so a promoters extra share of profit too. It's no so surprising that promoters would highlight the anomalies which are (mostly) at their expense.

The problems would be created elsewhere if they chased those pennies tho, because the same demand led principle would see the tenner or twenty bands only be paid a quid or two, and the promoter would lose far more via that.

And so the only people promoters can appeal to in order to collect one and not the other is the greed of performers, and govt which might protect 'their' market from (both good & bad) competition. Both of these things promoters would like if they can get them, but I don't think even they think they'll get them.

Live Nation will be getting ready to push Ticketmaster Platinum. And with all the bad press there are getting for their own tout sites. I think the platinum platform will be the preferred method of selling tickets moving forward.

-http://platinum.ticketmaster.co.uk/about

"The prices are adjusted according to supply and demand, similar to how airline tickets and hotel rooms are sold"

1 minute ago, craigb said:

Live Nation will be getting ready to push Ticketmaster Platinum. And with all the bad press there are getting for their own tout sites. I think the platinum platform will be the preferred method of selling tickets moving forward.

-http://platinum.ticketmaster.co.uk/about

"The prices are adjusted according to supply and demand, similar to how airline tickets and hotel rooms are sold"

Nah, it'll become what they'll try to push on the premium acts.

I suspect that, in the main, those premium acts will shun it, preferring to be seen as reasonable with their prices.

But they'll be some who go for it, there always are... and money isn't considered as grubby to our Atlantic cousins either.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

Nah, it'll become what they'll try to push on the premium acts.

I suspect that, in the main, those premium acts will shun it, preferring to be seen as reasonable with their prices.

But they'll be some who go for it, there always are... and money isn't considered as grubby to our Atlantic cousins either.

But the so called premium acts have not been reasonably priced for a number of years. You only have to look at the prices for AC/DC, Stone Roses, Beyonce, Rihanna, Springsteen. Then look at the prices of James, The Specials, Ocean Colour Scene.

I think Live Nation will push the acts it both managers and promotes towards platinum. Be interesting to see if like hotels and flights that the price goes down when there is no demand, if they ever start using this platform and it goes mainstream. Rihanna and Sprinsteen would be screwed 

5 minutes ago, craigb said:

But the so called premium acts have not been reasonably priced for a number of years.

Depends what you call "not reasonable". There's the acts that charge quite a lot, and then there's Madonna or Streisand.

There's clearly some untapped wallets out there, and they want to tap them.

You can only lose if you play along with them.