Weather 2016

Keithy

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick summary of where we are - almost certainly clear of showers until Friday pm, good chance of staying dry for whole weekend:

- BBC and Met Office have knocked off any forecast of rain for the site since this morning, and kept it off
- The band of rain that we thought might hit tonight is well north and not a worry, and also looks like thunderstorms are staying East. In fact, sunny for rest of day to dry out site
- That aside, exact location of showers over the coming 48 hours TBC, so could change over next day or so and we might get unlucky. Met Office south west shows patchy light rain around the site on Friday pm for example, which is probably why it keeps dropping in and out of the symbol forecast
- Sat and Sun now look good time sunshine 

Generally, really can’t complain, big improvement from yesterday.

Norwegians say 3.6mm rain Friday, less than a mm Saturday, which fits with above.

Choosing to ignore GFS runs now because they show patchy rain (albeit light) Fri/Sat/Sun. Also, looking back at last year’s weather thread, Met Office called it correctly on Tuesday evening / Wednesday before festival (they subsequently became more positive after originally forecasting Friday’s heavy rain).

So site might be okay by late Friday!

32 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:
Quick summary of where we are - almost certainly clear of showers until Friday pm, good chance of staying dry for whole weekend:

- BBC and Met Office have knocked off any forecast of rain for the site since this morning, and kept it off
- The band of rain that we thought might hit tonight is well north and not a worry, and also looks like thunderstorms are staying East. In fact, sunny for rest of day to dry out site
- That aside, exact location of showers over the coming 48 hours TBC, so could change over next day or so and we might get unlucky. Met Office south west shows patchy light rain around the site on Friday pm for example, which is probably why it keeps dropping in and out of the symbol forecast

Norwegians say 3.6mm rain Friday, less than a mm Saturday, which fits with above.

Choosing to ignore GFS runs now because they show patchy rain (albeit light) Fri/Sat/Sun. Also, looking back at last year’s weather thread, Met Office called it correctly on Tuesday evening / Wednesday before festival (they subsequently became more positive after originally forecasting Friday’s heavy rain).

We'd have taken that .... that's me gone, so see you all tomorrow.

46 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

Do you think it's safe yet to remove the Welly Warning for those of us arriving on Friday?

29 minutes ago, Johnkhutch said:

I forgot to buy sun cream and can't be arsed going back to the shop before tomorrow, should I be wary of burning?:D

It did get pretty hot in the afternoon today - I'm sure you can buy some on site when you get here. Enjoy!

Ok so I've walked from pyramid to  dance village to Other to Arcadia and plotted up by the Glastonbury sign. 

Pyramid to Silver Hayes isn't too bad considering the pics I see last week. 

Silver Hayes to Other walkways are muddy and slippery. 

Other to Arcadia. Again very muddy, walkways slippery. 

Arcadia through the park up to the hill is a nightmare. Avoid if possible. Not worth the effort. 

Watching the fireworks then onto SE corner. 

5 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

Ok so I've walked from pyramid to  dance village to Other to Arcadia and plotted up by the Glastonbury sign. 

Pyramid to Silver Hayes isn't too bad considering the pics I see last week. 

Silver Hayes to Other walkways are muddy and slippery. 

Other to Arcadia. Again very muddy, walkways slippery. 

Arcadia through the park up to the hill is a nightmare. Avoid if possible. Not worth the effort. 

Watching the fireworks then onto SE corner. 

Cheers slug.....in your opinion is it salvageable if the decent weather predicted comes to fruition 

23 minutes ago, justperfect said:

Cheers slug.....in your opinion is it salvageable if the decent weather predicted comes to fruition 

Honestly the park to the hill is beyond saving now. There are parts of every area that I can't see completely drying. I think without anymore of that shit wet stuff the walkways may get saved. 

Obviously the stages are roped/fenced off so, again, without any r*** it should be ok. 

31 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

Honestly the park to the hill is beyond saving now. There are parts of every area that I can't see completely drying. I think without anymore of that shit wet stuff the walkways may get saved. 

Obviously the stages are roped/fenced off so, again, without any r*** it should be ok. 

Thanks for the info but being a newbie to Glasto does this mean you can't get to the Park stage? Most of my Friday is planning on being at the Park and would be gutted if this was the case.

Not that there isn't enough to do but still would be good to know so I have enough time to plan alternatives.

Thanks