Weather 2016

Keithy

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First time going this year, and I really really don't want to be camping underwater ! 

Can anyone give me any recommendations where to camp? Or maybe more appropriately where not to camp. Should be arriving on site early Wednesday and oxlers was our original plan, think this will be ok ? 

I know the weather isn't set yet, but I mean in terms of what floods first 

Edited by supasum

3 minutes ago, supasum said:

First time going this year, and I really really don't want to be camping underwater ! 

Can anyone give me any recommendations where to camp? Or maybe more appropriately where not to camp. Should be arriving on site early Wednesday and oxlers was our original plan, think this will be ok ? 

Up a hill :)

On 3/14/2016 at 2:13 PM, LeeGalvin said:

Fact: it's going to be SCORCHIO this year.

Is it too early to be deliriously happy? I have followed this thread through the dark times, and now things are looking up.

The festival means so much to me this year.  Last year, after pretty much the worst period of my life, I tried and failed for tickets for the first time. Been going on off since 2005,  but that was the last straw after a shitstorm of a year. Done some muddy ones but good weather would make somethings a lot easier on me this year. One of the weird side effects of stress last year was that almost all my hair fell out. It's been recovering since August last year, to the point where I pretty much have normal hair again, but it will be much easier to maintain in dry weather. One less stress. Aside from that I have been fantasizing about sitting at the glastonbury sign in the sun on the wednesday, cider in hand, just reflecting about life is finally peachy again. I am getting choked up just picturing it. 

Totes emotes. 

28 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Usefull advice from a weatherman, essentially telling us his job is pointless as he cant tell us what the weather will be like.

No that's not quite what he means, essentially most weather apps base a forecast on a single run from a single model and so forecasting anything outside of the next 48 hours is unreliable at the best of times and in terms of current confidence in the ouputs of any of the models things are very uncertain. At the moment it's more down to looking at alm the available data and paying heed to the way experienced meteorologists are interpreting this data. 

It may have already been said but now there are a lot of fences, tents and cabins etc on site surely this is trapping any surface water that would normally run into rivers, streams etc which is causing these "puddles" we are seeing in the various pictures and videos that have been posted. I may be over simplifying this but can't they use the trucks that suck the crap out of the long drops to suck up the worst of the surface water?

7 minutes ago, boredawn said:

Is it too early to be deliriously happy? I have followed this thread through the dark times, and now things are looking up.

The festival means so much to me this year.  Last year, after pretty much the worst period of my life, I tried and failed for tickets for the first time. Been going on off since 2005,  but that was the last straw after a shitstorm of a year. Done some muddy ones but good weather would make somethings a lot easier on me this year. One of the weird side effects of stress last year was that almost all my hair fell out. It's been recovering since August last year, to the point where I pretty much have normal hair again, but it will be much easier to maintain in dry weather. One less stress. Aside from that I have been fantasizing about sitting at the glastonbury sign in the sun on the wednesday, cider in hand, just reflecting about life is finally peachy again. I am getting choked up just picturing it. 

Totes emotes. 

I'm sure you will have a wonderful stress free festival!

A member of my group will be taking a 3 year old and a 9 month old which obviously makes things a bit trickier.  I showed her some of the vids.  Her reaction was "Haha! Seen it worse!" ('05 and '07 veteran) and then went on about the fun of welly-sucking mud and how pretty the watery stuff can be. :lol:

24 minutes ago, supasum said:

I know the weather isn't set yet, but I mean in terms of what floods first 

Avoid the bottom of hills, and slightly indented spots where rivers might form or water might pool. It's not an exact science you can still get lucky or unlucky as if it tips it down the water still has to go somewhere. You should be fine- the main area that flooded in 2005 has been turned into crew camping

Yep, the latest charts seem to show again a fairly dry festival Fri - Sun with temps in 18-20. The only downer is that there is still quite a bit of rain through next week to the Thurs but they seem showery so with luck (and we'll need it) the site can miss the worst of those. Still all to play for but only a fool would go without wellies/good boots and a waterproof.

Edited by Splatt

1 minute ago, Splatt said:

Yep, the latest charts seem to show again a fairly dry festival Fri - Sun with temps in 18-20. The only downer is that there is still quite a bit of rain through next week to the Thurs but they seem showery so with luck (and we'll need it) the site can miss the worst of those. Still all to play for but only a fool would go without wellies/good boots and a waterproof.

What forecasts are you looking at, out of curiosity?  Apart from rain tomorrow night into Monday morning, I'm not seeing much...?

3 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

The glade just said on facebook the site resembles "20000 leagues under the sea"

The person posting for Glade isn't actually on site yet. They're referring to the videos we've all been fretting over.

Chill. It'll be fine