Weather 2016

Keithy

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Thunderstruck said:

UK Outlook for Friday 10 Jun 2016 to Friday 24 Jun 2016:

Currently it looks likely that generally settled conditions will continue until the start of this period. This means we can expect a good deal of dry and bright weather for many parts of the country, particularly in the north and west where the best of any warm and sunny weather should be. There will probably be some wetter intervals mixed in, these most likely in the south and east, making it feel cooler at times. Towards mid June, there is a chance that more unsettled conditions could become established, bringing some cooler and wetter weather to northern and western parts, while drier, warmer conditions become favoured towards the south and east.

Updated at: 1201 on Thu 26 May 2016

The update is fairly promising. The first part of the period is likely to be dominated by high pressure blocking further North, with low pressure at times advancing under this block on a more southerly track causing some wetter periods further south. Crucially the change to more unsettled conditions later in the month is probably the status quo being restored - lower pressure further North and West and ridges of high pressure building further South and East. 

So basically I spend most of the year in the north west, where it pisses it down all the time. Last month I went to London and it pissed it down, and now it is looking like the heavens will open when I go to Glastonbury.

Why are you looking at this when it's so far away that it's meaningless nonsense?

People were writing last week that we were going to have several weeks of a heatwave ffs

Just spend your time in the other threads, make sure you're prepared for rain or shine and then come in here and revisit the week before :D 

6 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Why are you looking at this when it's so far away that it's meaningless nonsense?

People were writing last week that we were going to have several weeks of a heatwave ffs

Just spend your time in the other threads, make sure you're prepared for rain or shine and then come in here and revisit the week before :D 

Wheres the fun in that! :smoke:

1 hour ago, Stretlow said:

Someone created a graph that detailed all the websites forecasts each day in the run up which I think is as close as you're going to get. Be buried in the 2015 thread somewhere 

I think it may even be in this thread somewhere...we're only at 20 pages at the moment so shouldn't be too hard to find...however give it a week or 2 and we'll be hitting 100+ pages as usual!

6 minutes ago, mario man said:

I think it may even be in this thread somewhere...we're only at 20 pages at the moment so shouldn't be too hard to find...however give it a week or 2 and we'll be hitting 100+ pages as usual!

I'm at work at the moment, if I remember I'll try and look later

3 minutes ago, Stretlow said:

I'm at work at the moment, if I remember I'll try and look later

I've had years before where I spent time in these discussions looking for the best and then others when I was preparing for the worst.

It was almost never accurate, so now I go for the "ah **** it" approach until we get near :) 

2 hours ago, Thunderstruck said:

I thought 2014 was pretty decent, plenty of hot sunshine. I came back very tanned! The thunderstorm was great fun!

The place was quite boggy on the Friday though wasn't it?

I do seem to always come back with a tan though.

4 hours ago, Stretlow said:

Someone created a graph that detailed all the websites forecasts each day in the run up which I think is as close as you're going to get. Be buried in the 2015 thread somewhere 

DAMN. Anyone got some time to sift through all that rubbish?

WE NEED A WEATHER THINGY.

12 hours ago, nban2010 said:

Do we have previous years' forecasts on a day-by-day basis. A Weather Thingy if you will?

Just wondering how much mm we got in previous years as a comparison...

No but I've just found the daily rainfall data going back to 2000 for Yeovilton (the nearest weather station)

image.jpeg

Totals are in mm, 2014 looks a bit off to me but remember this is a few miles away

Edited by fur_q

7 hours ago, fur_q said:

No but I've just found the daily rainfall data going back to 2000 for Yeovilton (the nearest weather station)

image.jpeg

Totals are in mm, 2014 looks a bit off to me but remember this is a few miles away

That's really interesting. If 2014 is anywhere near  true, then that shows how effective the drainage has become compared to 2005. 

46 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

That's really interesting. If 2014 is anywhere near  true, then that shows how effective the drainage has become compared to 2005. 

Saturday total for 2014 is the he one that looks a bit off to me, whereas most of the others seem to tally quite well with my experience. Remember that although this is the nearest weather station it's still 14 miles away but overall I think it does give a good mesure of the different conditions in different years

8 hours ago, fur_q said:

image.jpeg

.Thanks! Interesting how Wednesday and Sunday both seem to escape the heavy stuff - at least since 2007