Weather 2016

Keithy

6 minutes ago, The Nal said:

I love this thread so much.

I've finally, totally given up on the weather reports.  Unless it predicts proper wall-to-wall sunshine on the Wednesday for the rest of the weekend, with a really, really firmly entrenched high(or low) over Somerset and most of the country, it's totally up for grabs. 

I just went on holiday to Brighton for a few days.  Said it would rain the next day for a few hours.  It didn't rain at all. Normal weather, innit?

Weather can fall into temporary, reasonably stable holding patterns for a few days, but you don't know when they're going to happen and they're pretty rare.  Most of the time, it's falling from one chaotic, unpredictable state into another.  So 95% of the time, the only weather report that's any good to you is the one on your phone for that day.

Still, despite this late realisation that the thread is total utter bollocks, I'll be here, reading JackOne (or whatever he's called)'s posts religiously.  Total bollocks, but fun bollocks! 

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I've finally, totally given up on the weather reports.  Unless it predicts proper wall-to-wall sunshine on the Wednesday for the rest of the weekend, with a really, really firmly entrenched high(or low) over Somerset and most of the country, it's totally up for grabs. 

Yeah. Lasts years "some light drizzle" forecast for Friday on the Wednesday of the festival. 48 hours out and completely wrong. Well, there was some light drizzle. But it turned into proper rain.

9 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'll be here, reading JackOne (or whatever he's called)'s posts religiously.  

I don't think they give him internet access in Broadmoor anymore after he chewed off his mothers face.

Edited by The Nal

On 06/04/2016 at 5:34 PM, The Nal said:

Chances are it'll be a bad one.

"Britain could face a washout summer followed by another barrage of autumn storms and a bitterly cold winter as the atmosphere struggles to re-adjust.

The most immediate threat is on the summer with Britons waving farewell to any hopes of warm sunny weather if a La Nina pattern becomes established."

La Nina can do one!

On 06/04/2016 at 5:43 PM, eFestivals said:

from the Express, it must be true. :P

I don't think there is a single publication on the planet that has been wrong about the weather as frequently as the express.  Front page stories about weather events that never happen is their bread and butter.

Been a shit start to the year, all told.  Mid April and it's still pretty cold, hoping things start to warm up.

One thing I have learnt since moving to Pilton, never believe the weather forecast, they say rain and it rains in Shepton and not Pilton.  We have for some reason unique weather.

anyhow nearer the festival I am happy to give Pilton weather forecasts and ground condition reports.  

38 minutes ago, Mr Splodge said:

One thing I have learnt since moving to Pilton, never believe the weather forecast, they say rain and it rains in Shepton and not Pilton.  We have for some reason unique weather.

anyhow nearer the festival I am happy to give Pilton weather forecasts and ground condition reports.  

Cheers mate on behalf of all :)

so long as its not like it is today in SW London I don't care what its like at Glasto. I've done it all now from sticky fucking horrible mud to attempting to hold something up to shield my spliff from driving rain - all part of the fun!

I've discovered a website that ups the weather obsession thread. 

http://earth.nullschool.net/

Realtime wind, etc around the world. Can zoom in, change the stats (by clicking EARTH in the bottom left)

Discovered it today whilst in Dell's Ireland solution centre....immediately pipped up "that will be awesome for the Glastonbury weather thread " before realising nobody had a clue what I was talking about 

8 minutes ago, joshii87 said:

Can anyone who was at the 2007 festival fill me in on what it was like living through it?

I'm content with the odd downpour (like last year), but not sure I can cope with relentless and constant rain every day and night.

It was like a disaster zone. Leaving on the Monday was akin to refugees fleeing a flood hit village

23 minutes ago, joshii87 said:

Can anyone who was at the 2007 festival fill me in on what it was like living through it?

I'm content with the odd downpour (like last year), but not sure I can cope with relentless and constant rain every day and night.

5 days of this. Wednesday was decent and then it rained for most of the weekend. With the odd couple of hours here and there rain free. But very little sun so nothing dried out.

glastonbury.jpg

ad_138884320.jpg

glastonbury-festival-41.jpg

This was the standard weather at any given time.

Edited by The Nal

The mud in 2007 was something else, getting around was really hard work.

There was this one part we ended up in that was particularly bad, it was between the Circus Field and Avalon I think.  Had it of been dry you would of strolled through there in seconds, but instead it was the deepest, stickiest mud I've ever had the misfortune of trying to cross. It took us half hour to go about 50 metres, there were abandoned wellies sticking out all over the place.

Those pictures sum it up well.

Edited by Junglist1981

22 minutes ago, joshii87 said:

It was tough.

Took a long time to get everywhere. The mud was either claggy a tough to walk through, or so deep it was tough to walk though. My gf got literally stuck in the mud and had to call for help. They cut The Killers encore incase it caused a rush, people could easily get stuck.

I recall the Sat or Sun morning sitting in the rain at the tiny tea tent. finished my cup of tea, and sat in the rain talking. Half hour later my mug was half full with rain water.

But, we managed to make a plan, and head to 3 or 4 stages a day, but catch groups of acts, and the Stone circle and green fields were great at night, a bit of a "we're going to get through this" mentality. Also a good excuse to drink.

The thing about 2007 is it really could have been worse.  Only on Sunday did it keep raining all the way through the night continually. On the other days, it cleared up for the subs+headliners.  

For those who went in 2014, but not 2007, imagine the shower in 2014 that closed the stages.  Well each shower was almost that bad, but it happened 3 or 4 times a day, every day until the evening when it did tend to dry out for a bit.  Apart from the aforementioned Sunday when it just pissed it down continually.

52 minutes ago, joshii87 said:

Most important thing to say is that, despite the awful weather, my memories of the festival are still happy ones. Prolonged rain just makes everything a bit harder.

Just now, budvar said:

Most important thing to say is that, despite the awful weather, my memories of the festival are still happy ones. Prolonged rain just makes everything a bit harder.

Apart from the ground; it makes that much softer.

On 11/04/2016 at 0:40 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

I just went on holiday to Brighton for a few days.  Said it would rain the next day for a few hours.  It didn't rain at all. Normal weather, innit?

Weather can fall into temporary, reasonably stable holding patterns for a few days, but you don't know when they're going to happen and they're pretty rare.  Most of the time, it's falling from one chaotic, unpredictable state into another.  So 95% of the time, the only weather report that's any good to you is the one on your phone for that day.

It's one of those things where you can actually work out reasonably well how much you know. So if no particular front anywhere near, you can likely determine it's not going to be a wash-out or a scorcher. But then some years, like the last few, it'll be "there's a front coming in that may or not catch Somerset, and may or may not stick around once it gets there". We had no clue at all last year, even on the days before, but no-one wants to acknowledge that. Weather forecasts are never predicted with certainty measures attached, even though they vary wildly.

1 hour ago, joshii87 said:

It was unpleasant, but worth bearing in mind that the drainage has been improved loads since then, so theoretically a repeat of that isn't possible. You can also tell how damn weird a circumstance it was by looking at how often it rains, in the real world, in this country, ever. You don't normally get four days of straight rain, with barely any let up, even in the winter.

1 hour ago, joshii87 said:

It was my first Glastonbury. Was really hard work but I have so many happy memories from it that  are still some of my favourite moments

2007 was my first as well. It was relentless, but afterwards I figured that if I could cope with that, I could cope with anything the festival threw at me.  Some great memories though - The Hold Steady in the John Peel, Modest Mouse with Johnny Marr, the stage invasion at Iggy Pop...