Decent priced walking boots

FuzzyDunlop

23 hours ago, blackred said:

If you live near a Decathlon they are worth checking out, have a pair of their cheaper Forclaz boots that have done a few years and more than a few hundred miles. Wasn't expecting much for £40 but they have turned out to be a decent investment.

Thanks for that, we've just had one open up about a mile from where I work last week and I've been looking for an excuse to have a visit. 

Edited by tjamest

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 14/03/2016 at 10:25 AM, russycarps said:

Cheers both. Those ones that gonzo linked seem to be just the ticket. £60 is about as much as I would want to pay. 

What socks do you wear with them, just something like these, or something more hardcore?

http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-heavyweight-boot-socks-3-pack-414022?colcode=41402203

Waterproof socks are the way forward, I bought some lighter weight ones last year which were great given the weather, but I knew if did rain feet would be fine and they were bamboo so feet could breathe

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dexshell-Bamboo-Ultralite-Waterproof-Socks/dp/B00P813M3S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1458045365&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=dexshell+waterproof+socks&psc=1

Boots all the way for me as dead comfy and offer proper support to your feet and ankles, plus they don't get pulled off as easily through mud - I have these babies http://www.berghaus.com/womens-fellmaster-gtx/421608.html got them half price through staff discount so was happy with that

I have a decent pair of gore-tex type Regatta walking boots that are tried and tested for mountains and other outdoorsy places, never thought of wearing them at a festival though. Always end up in wellies which are obviously nowhere near as supportive or comfy, but very practical in the rain. Is the general consensus that walking boots and gators is just as good? I think my feet would love me if I could stop round in my boots all weekend!

I'm with Russy. I like the idea of walking boots but I find my Dunlop wellies really comfortable and obviously they are completely waterproof.

I don't want to spend more than £50 but I also want walking boots that are 100% waterproof and are lighter than wellies. I'm also worried about serious bad weather being too much for boots and therefore regretting the whole thing.

Do you think it probably isn't worth the change if I'm happy with Wellies?

I got a pair of Quechua Forclaz walking boots for £40 last year and they are fantastic, 100% waterproof and are like shoving my feet in a warm apple pie

I've been wearing them pretty much constantly since I bought them an they're showing no signs of giving up on me any time soon

I can't imagine how anyone could manage an entire glasto wearing wellies but I've also never had a comfortable pair of wellys

30 minutes ago, jed300 said:

I'm with Russy. I like the idea of walking boots but I find my Dunlop wellies really comfortable and obviously they are completely waterproof.

I don't want to spend more than £50 but I also want walking boots that are 100% waterproof and are lighter than wellies. I'm also worried about serious bad weather being too much for boots and therefore regretting the whole thing.

Do you think it probably isn't worth the change if I'm happy with Wellies?

I suppose it depends to an extent on how you're getting there. If you are driving you can always stick your wellies in the car and revert back to them if you need to. If you're going by bus or anything packing space is at more of a premium and you're not going to want to carry both. If you already have a pair of wellies you're happy with and haven't had any trouble with, I wouldn't bother buying something new until you wear them out.

On 14 March 2016 at 9:20 AM, Scruffylovemonster said:

Gaiters means the muddy laces aren't a problem. Mud and water have never got inside mine. Suppose if you had a 2005 flood then it'd be a problem but the water is never that deep. 

They are just so much more comfortable than wellies for the amount of walking you do. 

Are there any particular gaiters you would recommend? An Internet search shows lots of variation in price/style.

In the past I've bought two lots of expensive enough gaiters. I bought the second pair after losing the first pair without ever having worn them. Now I have just one gaiter out of the last batch which I also never got to wear. So, to conclude, if there's any one legged people out there who need just one gaiter then please PM me and it's yours - on a first come first served basis.

I bought some gaiters from Lidl a few years back. I know next to nothing about the relative merits of gaiters (apart from Berghaus Yetis being considered the best) but for a fiver a thought they were worth a punt. Nylon fabric rather than PU coated fabric or ripstop, seem to do the job but then they haven't really been tested by the last two years weather. We'll need another 2007 for that.

1 minute ago, musky said:

I bought some gaiters from Lidl a few years back. I know next to nothing about the relative merits of gaiters (apart from Berghaus Yetis being considered the best) but for a fiver a thought they were worth a punt. Nylon fabric rather than PU coated fabric or ripstop, seem to do the job but then they haven't really been tested by the last two years weather. We'll need another 2007 for that.

Please, FFS, no more talk of a 2007.

On 13 March 2016 at 11:52 AM, st dan said:

I've got a pair of these

They've lasted the past 6 festivals now and still going strong. I don't bother with wellies or trainers now, I just take these  

They hold up great in the rain and mud, and are very comfortable (with an added pair of nice insoles). 

Yeah, I've got those as well.Well recommended.

Lasted two Glastonburys, three Readings and three Downloads.

Unfortunately it's tme for them to go to the great boot graveyard in the sky but will be purchasing more before June.

I agree, although I think it gets worse the further back in time it becomes.  

We are not having another 2007 this year, I'm sure (well, really really hopeful)

Thanks for the gaiters input.  I'll check out some reviews, choose some then hope they remain in the tent, just like the wellies in 2010.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there much difference in terms of waterproofness (is that a word?) between the leather walking boots and the waterproof mesh ones? My gut tells me to go with leather, but the fabric kind seem more comfortable, less breaking in needed, more breathable etc.

Ultimately my main goal is too keep feet dry.

Cheers

For waterproofness you can trust I'd go for well dubbined leather.  Fabric are fine for slightly damp days but not for wading through real pools. Also important are decent walking socks.