Keith Emerson RIP

Rumblestripe

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

yep, tho not the grim reaper this time, it was the self-reaper.

Tho perhaps, given his age, there was a medical condition driving his choice.

It seems he may have had a degenerative disease which was or could have affected his keyboard playing.

I've been at an astronomy weekend in darkest Herefordshire all weekend away from any wifi and little phone signal but I was devastated yesterday morning, Before Taylor Swift, Bowie, Garcia, Hawkwind or any of the many other heroes in my life there was one guy alone that I totally worshipped - Keith Emerson. ELP were the first band I ever saw live. I was 14 and my recent turn on to rock music courtesy of Led Zeppelin, ended up with me and my mate Dave booking to see them at Cardiff Capitol in November 1972. I still have the stub - 55 new pence, and the programme fifteen new pence. ELP were one of the biggest acts in the world and about to get even bigger. That night my life changed forever. I was no longer obsessed with football, girls, comics and Gerry Anderson. My mind was totally blown away by the sheer spectacle of Emerson Lake and Palmer in their prime. I was so excited when I got home that I don't think I slept all night. I was wound up for weeks. The rest of my life has been devoted to music - listening to it, playing it (Glastonbury twice) collecting it, obsessing over it and generally promoting it. I blame Keith Emerson squarely for this -  a few months after the gig I pleaded with my Mum to start calling me Keith. I went to see them live at every opportunity (though I still regret missing the Brain Salad Surgery shows). I got angry every time John Peel or somebody in the NME slagged ELP off. I went from a nerdy dweeb to someone on a mission and a new found self belief overnight after seeing Keith Emerson perform. When I got married 21 years ago the first hymn I chose was Jerusalem because of the fact that ELP recorded it. Its a shame that ELP never performed at Glastonbury but Emerson has left an incredible legacy of stupendous music and I am forever grateful to him for showing me the way.

Carl Palmer is talking on his website about putting together a tribute to Keith. One to watch out for.

I will be looking at putting together a tribute show to Keith Emerson hopefully in June this year, and I hope this is something you will all want to come along and see to help celebrate his music. 

This I feel, is the very least I can do to honour Keith's talent and musicianship in the best way I know.