Under 18 at Reading

Idler

Going to Reading this year - hmu with shit I should look out for, bring etc.

Alcohol is an issue, being under 18. Is it better to bring it or buy it there? Do the bars ID you and do they take fake IDs easily.

Camping, where should I camp. What are the differences between the areas, which is the best. I don't want it to be too crowded and I'm happy to walk a bit in the morning and evening

safe efestivals fam

30 minutes ago, Idler said:

Alcohol is an issue, being under 18. Is it better to bring it or buy it there? Do the bars ID you and do they take fake IDs easily.

Camping, where should I camp. What are the differences between the areas, which is the best. I don't want it to be too crowded and I'm happy to walk a bit in the morning and evening

safe efestivals fam

Alcohol... definitely bring it, you won't get much change from £5 for a pint of beer/cider let alone getting served in the first placed. You will get ID'd at the bars. I know they are quite thorough so I personally wouldn't risk fake ID. If you do bring alcohol then I wouldnt be too worried about getting searched, just obviously make sure if its not visible when you go through the entrance gates. If you're worried about being searched then try and get someone 18 or over to carry it in for you because if you are caught with it and you aren't 18 then it will be confiscated.

Camping.. everyone has their favourite camps, it depends how far you want to walk (bearing in mind some are quite a trek) and how much of a vibe/atmosphere you want. I would discourage from camping in white, its the furthest away and is where most of the familys camp, although you are pretty much guaranteed a good nights sleep there. We camped in brown last year and that was fairly decent but still quite far away. It goes without saying that the camps closest to the arena are going to fill up first and will be very noisy. Also where ever you decide to camp, dont camp near the walk ways or the trees/hedges people use them as a toilet and it wont be very pleasant... 

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/03/2016 at 11:24 PM, Idler said:

All the Main Bars have CCTV and when you get caught a DVD copy of the attempted fraud { as that is what its called } will be handed to the relevant authorities + your fake ID will also be held and if ' ID Compliance ' is about you may be held at a Police Station { likely to be somewhere in town }  until they can track down your Parents as they cant interview you without them.

Anyone using fake ID to attempt to purchase alcohol will be committing offences under one or more of three laws: the Identity Cards Act 2006; the Fraud Act 2006; and the Forgery and Counterfeiting Act 1981.

Just don't think you can try it and the bar staff will turn a blind eye because they can end up in court themselves which may impact their employment prospect in the future.

Its Reading so bar staff  will be on the look out for people using their friends ID or fake ID so your chances are near zero.

Edited by glasto-worker

On 8 March 2016 at 0:06 AM, JW97 said:

Alcohol... definitely bring it, you won't get much change from £5 for a pint of beer/cider let alone getting served in the first placed. You will get ID'd at the bars. I know they are quite thorough so I personally wouldn't risk fake ID. If you do bring alcohol then I wouldnt be too worried about getting searched, just obviously make sure if its not visible when you go through the entrance gates. If you're worried about being searched then try and get someone 18 or over to carry it in for you because if you are caught with it and you aren't 18 then it will be confiscated.

I would disagree that it is that serious a thing.. But given your experience i trust you haha