guypjfreak

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, somecoolusername said:

Is it not very dull being a fan of a band that hasn't released an album in over 20 years yet continues to play gigs? 

I was not going to post in this thread but your post drawn me in.

To answer your question it does not get dull as you would have seen yesterday. The hype for absolutely nothing was utterly ridiculous. If they never released a single thing again I would never ever tire of that first album till the day I die. The second one is far better than the credit it got at the time as well.

I would be pissed if they played this next set of gigs without any new material though. It is a silly thing to say really, but I would feel let down (not that I have any right to feel let down really). Thankfully I am certain there will be new material. 

It is doubtful in my opinion any new material will be as good as the 1st album. As long as Reni allowed to do his thing and there is far less of the John Squire guitar w*nkery, then I will be happy.

So no, it does not get dull to answer your question :-)

4 minutes ago, eastynh said:

To answer your question it does not get dull as you would have seen yesterday. The hype for absolutely nothing was utterly ridiculous. If they never released a single thing again I would never ever tire of that first album till the day I die. The second one is far better than the credit it got at the time as well.

I would be pissed if they played this next set of gigs without any new material though. It is a silly thing to say really, but I would feel let down (not that I have any right to feel let down really). Thankfully I am certain there will be new material. 

It is doubtful in my opinion any new material will be as good as the 1st album. As long as Reni allowed to do his thing and there is far less of the John Squire guitar w*nkery, then I will be happy.

Surely you'll be pissed at these gigs regardless of new tunes?

1 minute ago, eastynh said:

Fair enough. I'm a big Blur fan, so I understand to some degree the rollercoaster of being a fan and waiting for material. Blur did a couple of runs of gigs before we got the new album last year, and I did begin to lose interest in seeing the same material over and over. But Blur have several more albums than the Roses, so at least the set lists can be more varied there. And they did release a couple of singles in the years immediately post-reformation, so there was some new material to be going on with. 

I guess I'm just somewhat mystified by the constant mention of the Roses on this forum when they don't seem to have done anything really in a very long time. If you wanted to see them live it seems there's been ample opportunity. But I appreciate your thoughtful response :)

2 minutes ago, Purple aki squat said:

Surely you'll be pissed at these gigs regardless of new tunes?

:rofl::rofl: I should have put that a bit differently. Maybe disappointed would be more appropriate.

Growing up round here the Stone Roses were held in such high regards. It is difficult to explain to people who are maybe a little younger or not from round here. They were absolutely revered. The way it all fizzled out in the mid 90's was so sad. Then to see the joy in peoples faces when the reunion was announced was utterly fantastic. Heaton Park was unreal. People were genuinely emotional. It meant so much to people to see them back together and performing again.

If they toured again with no new tunes then it would just feel like they were cashing in. The Roses would just be like any other heritage act doing the rounds while they top up the retirement fund. So yes, for The Roses to end up like that it would be disappointing.

My daughter is fucking brilliant.

I love her.

She emigrated to Australia 20 years ago.

She didn't get in contact for 5 years, which got on my tits a bit.

Then she did. But it was a bit half arsed and she sounded different.

Then for the next few years? Nothing.

Then she got back in touch again but it was as if she was in a state of arrested development...she even dressed the same and in an age inappropriate way...despite everyone being over the fucking moon to hear from her again!

Then she went AWOL again.

People say she'll be in touch yet-a-fucking-gain, but so far nada. Despite the rumours.

I've kinda lost interest in the selfish bint now.

Edited by Woffy

19 minutes ago, somecoolusername said:

Fair enough. I'm a big Blur fan, so I understand to some degree the rollercoaster of being a fan and waiting for material. Blur did a couple of runs of gigs before we got the new album last year, and I did begin to lose interest in seeing the same material over and over. But Blur have several more albums than the Roses, so at least the set lists can be more varied there. And they did release a couple of singles in the years immediately post-reformation, so there was some new material to be going on with. 

I guess I'm just somewhat mystified by the constant mention of the Roses on this forum when they don't seem to have done anything really in a very long time. If you wanted to see them live it seems there's been ample opportunity. But I appreciate your thoughtful response :)

It is difficult to try and explain the whole Roses thing. If I tried to write a post it would probably be too long and tedious for most people and I do a good enough job at boring people as it is. I have never known a band that captivated people as much and had them so emotionally involved though.

8 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Heaton Park was superb. Load of people on this forum did that during the fallow year.

It was a definite I was there occasion mate :-) 

Edited by eastynh

51 minutes ago, eastynh said:

:rofl::rofl: I should have put that a bit differently. Maybe disappointed would be more appropriate.

Growing up round here the Stone Roses were held in such high regards. It is difficult to explain to people who are maybe a little younger or not from round here. They were absolutely revered. The way it all fizzled out in the mid 90's was so sad. Then to see the joy in peoples faces when the reunion was announced was utterly fantastic. Heaton Park was unreal. People were genuinely emotional. It meant so much to people to see them back together and performing again.

If they toured again with no new tunes then it would just feel like they were cashing in. The Roses would just be like any other heritage act doing the rounds while they top up the retirement fund. So yes, for The Roses to end up like that it would be disappointing.

Yeah, in Manchester even before the reunion, in the naughties if Made Of Stone came on the radio, men of a certain age would catch each other's eyes and go all emotional.

Suede are a good example of how to make a lasting and meaningful comeback. A few special shows playing the hits and classic albums. Followed by a solid if unspectacular comeback album to get the creative juices flowing again and provide an excuse to do a proper tour.

Then with the band up to full speed, and fans' nostalgia needs fulfilled, they go away and create a proper concept album, as good as anything they've done before. All while playing unique shows with an accompanying film.

2 hours ago, eastynh said:

I think you meant you'd be pissed off mate. That's how it's said

12 hours ago, Woffy said:

My daughter is fucking brilliant.

I love her.

She emigrated to Australia 20 years ago.

She didn't get in contact for 5 years, which got on my tits a bit.

Then she did. But it was a bit half arsed and she sounded different.

Then for the next few years? Nothing.

Then she got back in touch again but it was as if she was in a state of arrested development...she even dressed the same and in an age inappropriate way...despite everyone being over the fucking moon to hear from her again!

Then she went AWOL again.

People say she'll be in touch yet-a-fucking-gain, but so far nada. Despite the rumours.

I've kinda lost interest in the selfish bint now.

But she's still your daughter, and you're still her dad; relationships are never easy, especially where distance is involved. Hope she does get back in touch and you both find some common ground; life's too short for regrets I reckon :)

2 minutes ago, oneeye said:

But she's still your daughter, and you're still her dad; relationships are never easy, especially where distance is involved. Hope she does get back in touch and you both find some common ground; life's too short for regrets I reckon :)

Did I mention she can't sing for toffee!

Took me a long time to appreciate the roses ,never listened to first album properly for years ,just another Manchester band too me so bypassed all the euphoria .

Watched Shane meadows documentary on the roses comeback a few years ago and kind of got the adulation ,we all have one band that means something mine has always been the pogues and remember the excitement when they got back together and the relief when Shane stumbled on stage and seeing the happiness on the faces of an ageing audience who were transported back to the early 80's.

So back to the roses ,after watching the documentary I listened to the albums and was surprised how good they were ,kind if regret not seeing them back in the day ,Ian brown does not come across great live seen him solo and thought he was shit ,BUT if they played Glastonbury I would be there without a doubt ,unless they clashed with the pogues of coursee

48 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

What the fuck were you smoking last night?

It was strong.

At one point this morning I imagined I'd read a post from you somewhere in which you'd written about how you'd, like, actually gone out to a gig.

I always pictured you employed as the guy who sits in a darkened room all day writing the dry, sarcastic liner comments underneath photos on the internet!!!

;-)