guypjfreak

3 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

It's okay. I'm guessing it's not the new single though? Most bands seem to put an album track out on youtube first then announce their single.

It's the single.

I'm amazed by how blinded some on Twitter are over the song, 'banger', 'amazing' etc. Weird.

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know everybody expected it to be shite, and I shouldn't really give a fuck about the comeback single of a band who broke up before I was old enough to read, but I do feel really pissed off by how bad it is. There's just nothing about the band I love in there, it sounds like they don't care at all. Fair enough rinse fans with expensive tickets, reform for the payday, take the cash, but I really thought they still saw the tunes as sacred.

1 minute ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I know everybody expected it to be shite, and I shouldn't really give a fuck about the comeback single of a band who broke up before I was old enough to read, but I do feel really pissed off by how bad it is. There's just nothing about the band I love in there, it sounds like they don't care at all. Fair enough rinse fans with expensive tickets, reform for the payday, take the cash, but I really thought they still saw the tunes as sacred.

Or are they blinded to how shite it is?

1 minute ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Or are they blinded to how shite it is?

Maybe they do think it's good, but they're more than aware that they've written it solely for the purpose of it being "anthemic" and not had an eye on anything else.

Having listened to it 14 times, the lyrics are not the best but, it's a decent tune.

You do thing after 21 years the build up was always a bit too much.......if the beatles re-formed and put something out what would it need to do, so someone wouldn't say well it's no day in the life is it?

and in defence of Ian Brown........he obviously doesn't have the strength of voice but, he sounded loads better than anticipated at Heaton Park.

2 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Unfortunately I am old enough to remember their pomp and demise, yet I feel exactly the same as you in that I am really disappointed with the outcome. Maybe the break they had was too much and we all had too high expectations of them. In reality they were never going to reach the heights they were once at. It is a poor effort though, the lyrics are truly abysmal.

I think they do care mate. I heard Mani was buzzing with the tunes and playing them to people backstage at the recent Primal Scream gig in Manchester.

Hopefully there is better to come. Nobody expected anything like Love Spreads last time (even though its a stone cold classic).

I have no right to feel let down or disappointed really, I just feel they are capable of so much better.

4 guys in their 50's. Who made about 8 to 10 good songs over 20 years ago. What was everyone expecting? I think it's ok. It's uplifting at least. And think would sound better live. 

In terms of quality, the Stone Roses' good songs were miles apart from their bad ones. The good ones were such anthems, I think that's why people were expecting much more.

If they do end up playing Glastonbury, I'll be there bopping down to those 10 good songs. I'll probably sit down and roll a joint when they play the others. 

1 minute ago, rikkirascal said:

4 guys in their 50's. Who made about 8 to 10 good songs over 20 years ago. What was everyone expecting? I think it's ok. It's uplifting at least. And think would sound better live. 

In terms of quality, the Stone Roses' good songs were miles apart from their bad ones. The good ones were such anthems, I think that's why people were expecting much more.

If they do end up playing Glastonbury, I'll be there bopping down to those 10 good songs. I'll probably sit down and roll a joint when they play the others. 

Four blokes who had far more than 8-10 good songs (even without Second Coming there's loads of legendary B sides) and who've all done interesting stuff to some degree in the meantime. With one of the best British guitarists and rhythm sections ever assembled. Reasonable to have hoped for better.

5 minutes ago, rikkirascal said:

Id be interested to know what you think is a bad song prior to Second Coming. Pretty much everything on the debut and Turns Into Stone is class.

5 minutes ago, EamerRed said:

Id be interested to know what you think is a bad song prior to Second Coming. Pretty much everything on the debut and Turns Into Stone is class.

To be fair maybe I shouldn't have posted in a Stone Roses thread, where there's obviously gonna be Stone Roses fans. I like the Stone Roses. Good band. But to me, quite a few of their songs do nothing for me. Different era and all that jizz. Indie is dead and has been for years.