guypjfreak

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a listen. It's alright. I reckon after a few listens it might grow on me. It seems pretty much made for big stadium (or festival) gigs. I thought it was a little too fast, slow it down a bit, put brown down in the mix, bit more bass. Sorted.

5 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

It actually gets worse with repeated listens :lol:

Why on earth is Ian's voice so high in the mix too?! Even if this was a brilliantly written song that would still be a glaring issue. 

I quite liked it on first listen but it really does, got sick of it after three plays.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Since 1988:

The bassist made XTRMNTR

The singer made Stellify

The drummer made Daybreak

The guitarist made Fool's Gold

Didn't fancy drawing on any of that experience then lads?

Yeah, such a shame because amongst a lot of people Stone Roses are associated with shit primitive music because of their links to the Madchester scene. 

They're great musicians, have proved it time and time again, but a whole load of people are going to hear this and draw their own conclusions. 

Well I think its absolutely fantastic.

Well I don't really, I am really disappointed. Someone mentioned The Charlatans previously. The Charlatans have never released anything as bad as that and at least have constantly tried to evolve.  That is just blah blah guitar.

When New Order released restless I was a bit disappointed. At least then I had heard Plastic and Singularity live, so knew there was better on the way. is there better to come from the Roses? After listening to that, I am not sure I want to hear any more.

That is the poorest Stone Roses tune I have ever heard.

Agreed it gets worse the more you listen to it. Quite liked it at first too.

Lyrics are awful and it just ends up being a generic indie pop song which is such a shame considering the material they put out in the past. Almost worse that people all over Twitter and Facebook are praising it as 'best song in years' and return of 'real music'.

Coldplay could put that record out and be slated for it.

Edited by DMCJ2

Just now, eastynh said:

Just to put into context, this is the last Stone Roses single and it was an absolute stormer

How do you go from this to the new one?

And that was one of their most derivative songs to date.

Lyrically it reminds me of the last time they fell flat on their face with One Love. They were trying to self consciously write an indie anthem, doing it because that's what they thought people wanted to hear, rather than because they had something to say.

Is this the 'glorious' music?

Given it a couple of goes now! First impression was this is ok, very obviously the "Roses" catchy in bits, typical squire solo etc, etc

listening again a second and third time, the lyrics are terrible, Brown's vocals aren't great, for a 20 year wait I wasn't kidding myself that we were getting another fools gold, but expected a bit more than what sounds like a very mediocre album filler.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

And that was one of their most derivative songs to date.

Lyrically it reminds me of the last time they fell flat on their face with One Love. They were trying to self consciously write an indie anthem, doing it because that's what they thought people wanted to hear, rather than because they had something to say.

Is this the 'glorious' music?

I hated One Love and you are right in everything you say there.

Begging You is a beast, it has meat on the bone and a groove you get your teeth into. 

Everywhere on Twitter loving it.

If you take it for what it is as most likely an opening single, it's quite catchy and not too bad. It will be great to jump around to at the Etihad. That's all it is. I would sincerely hope for more like Resurrection and She Bangs the Drums over the coming weeks/months though.

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

Amazing how this thread differs from Twitter.

I am going to Asda to get myself some comfort chocolate and Harribo's. Will have a read of the don't stop forum to see what they make of it. 

At least Complete Music is out tomorrow and some of them mixes are fantastic.