Bands Who Could Headline In a The Future

Gozpot

Alt-J, Royal Blood, Bring Me The Horizon, Tame Impala, the Black Keys, Florence and the Machine and Bombay Bicycle Club could all headline or co-headline within the next 3/4 years I reckon (if not sooner).

Long term, acts like Drenge, Catfish and the Bottlemen, Slaves and the 1975 all have a chance but it will be very dependent on whether or not their future material is as popular as their recent stuff.

Edited by Whittick

Agree that Florence, Royal Blood, Alt J, Tame Impala, Kendrick Lamar & Bring Me The Horizon all could potentially headline in the future.

There's some others that could bump up to headliner with the right album but also could slide down the lineups with the wrong album: The Black Keys, The 1975, Frank Turner, The XX, Chase & Status, Jake Bugg, The Maccabees, Wolf Alice. 

11 hours ago, VCK said:

A lot of headliners in the making played last year. Bring Me The Horizon, alt-J, Royal Blood, Kendrick Lamar.

Yeah it's almost as if R&L gets by on booking bands before their potential success is realised and thus the line-ups look better in retrospect, leading people to bleat on about how stronger line-ups used to be compared the the shit nowadays. In 2025 people will be heralding the golden years of 2013-2017 when discussing how shit the 2025 line-up is, and so on.

2 hours ago, VCK said:

I suggested The Black Keys headlining this year a while back and the consensus seems to be that they've slightly declined in popularity since El Camino and their chance has probably been and gone.

Yeah, I think The Black Keys failed to build on El Camino enough to really justify  a headline slot unless they come out with a huge album 

4 hours ago, mrtourette said:

Yeah it's almost as if R&L gets by on booking bands before their potential success is realised and thus the line-ups look better in retrospect, leading people to bleat on about how stronger line-ups used to be compared the the shit nowadays. In 2025 people will be heralding the golden years of 2013-2017 when discussing how shit the 2025 line-up is, and so on.

Where were you when Macklemore and Jake Bugg subbed in the same year?

24 minutes ago, Shaun182 said:

Catfish definitely could, the other 2 have no chance.

Meh, people were saying the same thing about The Vaccines and 2 Door and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and the list goes on and on and on. Very few bands will make it, heck I expect Royal Blood to fade away pretty quickly too. Hell out of the people mentioned so far I only expect Florance and Bring me to do it, and that's only because they're pretty much there, and even then, they may not ever end up headlining the festival.

2 minutes ago, KingPin said:

Meh, people were saying the same thing about The Vaccines and 2 Door and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and the list goes on and on and on. Very few bands will make it, heck I expect Royal Blood to fade away pretty quickly too. Hell out of the people mentioned so far I only expect Florance and Bring me to do it, and that's only because they're pretty much there, and even then, they may not ever end up headlining the festival.

I'd argue Royal Blood are pretty much there, another album anywhere near as succesful as the last and i'd be surprised if they didn't get given a co-headline slot, likely with Alt-J, Bring Me or You Me At Six, they'd probably try to push through more than one new headliner at once even if both aren't quite there (exactly what happened with Foals and Disclosure imo)

3 hours ago, Foals/Disclosure said:

Tame Impala, Alt-J, Royal Blood, Catfish & The Bottlemen, CHVRCHES, Bring Me The Horizon, The Maccabees, Frank Turner & The Sleeping Souls and The 1975

I'd agree all could potentially except The Maccabees and Frank Turner, i just don't see it happening, it'd really take some doing for them to

3 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

I'd argue Royal Blood are pretty much there, another album anywhere near as succesful as the last and i'd be surprised if they didn't get given a co-headline slot, likely with Alt-J, Bring Me or You Me At Six, they'd probably try to push through more than one new headliner at once even if both aren't quite there (exactly what happened with Foals and Disclosure imo)

And you're expecting them to a) have a long enough album to fill out a 90 minute set without loads of crap filler? b ) for their next album to do enough different to stay fresh and get them up to that next level? Don't get me wrong, I like them as much as the next guy, but they probably need another 2 albums to headline (they will sub of the next one unless it bombs) and you expect them to keep momentum for another 2, really?  I don't really know enough about Alt-J to be sure, but I highly doubt it, I think they'll go the Vaccines route, TBH, YM@6 need to nail down a sub spot before they think about headlining anywhere.

I think a lot of people are underestimating just how far away bands are from managing to get to headliner size, even with RnL's generous bumping up. I much prefer Downloads method of bumping up bands when they're truly ready, instead of bumping up bands prematurely like what would have happened with B4MV if  they were a RnL band, too many bands fade away, and pushing acts up the line up prematurely is going to backfire, as too many will fade away as it was artificial. It's like Jake Bugg, ridiculous that he subbed in 2014, he'll never play that high ever again. Utter shit.

Okay so i've gone for this:

Likey to Co-Headline/Headline: Royal Blood, Bring Me The Horizon, Alt-J, Florence & The Machine, Slipknot, Kendrick Lamar

Possible: System Of A Down, The 1975, Catfish & The Bottlemen, Slaves, Tame Impala, You Me At Six, Macklemore, Wolf Alice, Chase & Status, Chvrches

Unlikely, But Possible: Enter Shikari, Bombay Bicycle Club, The Black Keys, Drenge, Twin Atlantic, A Day To Remember, Jake Bugg,

2 minutes ago, KingPin said:

And you're expecting them to a) have a long enough album to fill out a 90 minute set without loads of crap filler? b ) for their next album to do enough different to stay fresh and get them up to that next level? Don't get me wrong, I like them as much as the next guy, but they probably need another 2 albums to headline (they will sub of the next one unless it bombs) and you expect them to keep momentum for another 2, really?  I don't really know enough about Alt-J to be sure, but I highly doubt it, I think they'll go the Vaccines route, TBH, YM@6 need to nail down a sub spot before they think about headlining anywhere.

I think a lot of people are underestimating just how far away bands are from managing to get to headliner size, even with RnL's generous bumping up. I much prefer Downloads method of bumping up bands when they're truly ready, instead of bumping up bands prematurely like what would have happened with B4MV if  they were a RnL band, too many bands fade away, and pushing acts up the line up prematurely is going to backfire, as too many will fade away as it was artificial. It's like Jake Bugg, ridiculous that he subbed in 2014, he'll never play that high ever again. Utter shit.

I think the hype around Royal Blood is so great that even if the next album tanks they'd sub, with the way Reading are bumping up acts in the last few years i would be surprised if they hadn't atleast co-headlined by 2018, YMAS i wouldn't have said about co-headlining if it hadn't been for the bumping that's been going on recently, without that i don't think any of these acts are close enough yet either. Jake Bugg playing that high was a joke, especially as his second album crashed hard.

1 minute ago, Gozpot said:

I think the hype around Royal Blood is so great that even if the next album tanks they'd sub, with the way Reading are bumping up acts in the last few years i would be surprised if they hadn't atleast co-headlined by 2018, YMAS i wouldn't have said about co-headlining if it hadn't been for the bumping that's been going on recently, without that i don't think any of these acts are close enough yet either. Jake Bugg playing that high was a joke, especially as his second album crashed hard.

Yeah and what I'm saying is this aggressive premature bumping up of acts is seriously going to bite them in the arse, it's already happening with the Leeds side of it, and eventually they're going to stop and revert back to big old classic acts, I'd be amazed if Royal Blood co-headline by 2018, it's just not going to happen, i mean just by timeline it's not, their next album will be out sometime towards the end of this year/early next and they'll end up subbing 2017, they're not going to come back the next year to headline. I dunno about YM@6, if they were seriously being pushed they would have subbed in 2014, and they would have headlined the second stage at download either last or this coming year. There just doesn't seem to be a huge push behind them, like there is/was behind Foals, and they're not naturally becoming huge like FOB. 

2 minutes ago, sameimpala said:

Not saying it would be the most exciting set, but do you think Noel Gallagher could do it if his next album is as successful as the first two?

Hmm, this is a very good shout, i think it'd have to be very very successful to be an outright headliner, co-headliner seems very possible to me, although im not a huge fan of High Flying Birds.

5 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

Hmm, this i a very good shout, i think it'd have to be very very successful to be an outright headliner, co-headliner seems very possible to me, although im not a huge fan of High Flying Birds.

Not a massive fan of his solo stuff myself, but he usually gets a good crowd reaction when he does Oasis songs. Probably wouldn't be until 2018 now anyway.