Grime/Hip Hop

JamieKThomas

It's good, but I'm not really that taken by it. There are a few elements that seem quite lazy about it, and I kinda prefer gospel as a touch to embellish a track here and there, rather than anchoring the whole album. He's always a delight to listen to though so it'll get loads more plays nonetheless.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Badlands said:

I was there in 14 and 15 on the Thursday. Kate Tempest did the same spot in 14 and had a pretty big crowd for her appearance, while Akala was a little less busy, I managed to get to the front quite easily.

1 minute ago, Winslow Leach said:

Not rammed for Akala, but a pretty impressive crowd for that venue. 

Well that's good to know. I was in The Spaceport last year, but might find myself heading this way this time depending on what else is going on. All the 'big' things get so rammed at Silver Hayes, I'm staying well away from that side of the site on the Thursday night!

Just now, big__phil said:

Well that's good to know. I was in The Spaceport last year, but might find myself heading this way this time depending on what else is going on. All the 'big' things get so rammed at Silver Hayes, I'm staying well away from that side of the site on the Thursday night!

Yeah after Akala we headed over to Wow to meet some friends who were watching JESuS, where the crowd was so rammed in that there was sweat dripping from the roof of the tent. We left and went to Shrinel Ritchie instead. 

7 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

Yeah after Akala we headed over to Wow to meet some friends who were watching JESuS, where the crowd was so rammed in that there was sweat dripping from the roof of the tent. We left and went to Shrinel Ritchie instead. 

Screw that!

How was Akala anyway? I used to really like him, but haven't heard anything from him for at least 5 years.

17 hours ago, sloseph said:

i'm really excited for the Kate Tempst spoken word set

her performance of Hold Your Own on the park last year still warms my cockles every time I watch the video

I plan on getting there nice and early for a good spot

She just doesn't float my boat. I tried to get into her before last year but it's just not my cup. 

17 hours ago, big__phil said:

Screw that!

How was Akala anyway? I used to really like him, but haven't heard anything from him for at least 5 years.

I thought he was ok, my missus loves his old stuff, I saw him in rumshack Thursday night, and I assume it was the first must see for a lot of people and it was pretty busy. 

Set seemed really short but he banged out a few classics as well as some mediocre recent material. 

Edited by bennyboi

Just now, sloseph said:

i was hoping for some more Hip Hop names making an appearance today but I don't see anyone I recognise

has anyone get any recommendation? i'm pretty much hip hop free at the moment :( 

i assume you're going to see Vince Staples? Oddisee on West Holts at 13.00 on the Saturday is another great one. agree that it seems a little light on it but those two are pretty much must sees for me

Just now, sloseph said:

i was hoping for some more Hip Hop names making an appearance today but I don't see anyone I recognise

has anyone get any recommendation? i'm pretty much hip hop free at the moment :( 

Skepta, Vince Staples (who I'm going to have miss some of) and Kano all on Friday. Oddisee on Saturday lunchtime and DJ Premier on Sunday night (who I'm going to have to miss).

There's plenty of grime, if that's your thing, but I'm also a bit underwhelmed by the hip-hop this year.

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

i assume you're going to see Vince Staples? Oddisee on West Holts at 13.00 on the Saturday is another great one. agree that it seems a little light on it but those two are pretty much must sees for me

I agree. Too bad Preemo is super clashed. Im gonna try to see Baloji but he'll probably also be clashing..

1 minute ago, Junglist1981 said:

Given the level of Hip Hop acts they've booked in the past it's really not the greatest.

First time there's been no Hip Hop on the Pyramid in god knows how long. Can't see a good reason for it to be honest.

seems like grime has taken over this year, including Skepta being in the Friday Pyramid hip hop slot

1 minute ago, pastorofmuppets said:

Blackalicious are a must-see, 00:30 Saturday night in the Pussy Parlure

had totally forgotten about them! will definitely be trying to catch them as well, although looks like i've got a fair few things to be doing after the headliner on Friday night

7 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

i'm a possible for Vince, he clashes with Gentleman's Dub Club though which is a bit of a bummer so i'm just going to see who i'm in the mood for at the time

i'll check and Oddisee though thanks

I just can't get into Grime no matter how many different artists I try it just doesn't sit right with me

16 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

seems like grime has taken over this year, including Skepta being in the Friday Pyramid hip hop slot

That's not good enough though really, as if they can only have one token urban black music genre at a time. Grime and Hip Hop are not interchangeable at all.

I'm sure it's not that, but still.

Thank god for West Holts.

Edited by Junglist1981

15 minutes ago, Junglist1981 said:

Given the level of Hip Hop acts they've booked in the past it's really not the greatest.

First time there's been no Hip Hop on the Pyramid in god knows how long. Can't see a good reason for it to be honest.

They're just making space for the Kendrick Lemar secret set.....

pls 

1 minute ago, Junglist1981 said:

That's not good enough though really, as if they can only have one token urban black music genre at a time. Grime and Hip Hop are not interchangeable at all.

I'm sure it's not that, but still.

Thank god for West Holts.

obviously just much easier to book UK based grime acts than it is to get American hip hop acts, plus it depends on who's touring around that time

Just now, FloorFiller said:

obviously just much easier to book UK based grime acts than it is to get American hip hop acts, plus it depends on who's touring around that time

Hmmm maybe. They've never struggled to book big hip hop artists in the past.

Anyway, I'll get my fix with Vince Staples and Oddisee.