Grime/Hip Hop

JamieKThomas

3 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I thought the production on Spaceman was off the scale, but wasn’t all that impressed by Octavian’s lyrical content or delivery or anything. Will stick with him though because he’s clearly got an ear for a banger.

Yeah, you are right. Lyrically there isnt a great deal going on but the range of styles that he cycles through is impressive and it all just seems to work. The voice makes it in a lot of ways.

He can flow a little bit too, he's a bit like Travis Scott in that regard where he floats about crooning for a lot of the time and only hits a flow on occasion. But when it hits, it's super-effective. I'm thinking about Sleep as an example and also on A2's Flair.

The spoken word bits work really well live for the song to song transitions before another dose of energy is injected.

Edited by Nduja

6 minutes ago, Nduja said:

Yeah, you are right. Lyrically there isnt a great deal going on but the range of styles that he cycles through is impressive and it all just seems to work. The voice makes it in a lot of ways.

He can flow a little bit too, he's a bit like Travis Scott in that regard where he floats about crooning for a lot of the time and only hits a flow on occasion. But when it hits, it's super-effective. I'm thinking about Sleep as an example and also on A2's Flair.

The spoken word bits work really well live for the song to song transitions before another dose of energy is injected.

That’s true about Trav actually. It’s mostly his beats I like too but there are just those moments where he hits a sweet spot. Will dig deeper into Octavian’s stuff to try and get a bit more of that.

The thing about spoken word def sounds interesting in joining up the songs so I’m hoping to catch him at some point.

4 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

Yeah you know what, I preferred the Pyramid too, and I don't care who knows it Dental, I don't care!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love a Pyramid don’t ya Giza?

47 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

That’s true about Trav actually. It’s mostly his beats I like too but there are just those moments where he hits a sweet spot. Will dig deeper into Octavian’s stuff to try and get a bit more of that.

The thing about spoken word def sounds interesting in joining up the songs so I’m hoping to catch him at some point.

Love a Pyramid don’t ya Giza?

Feb dates in Manchester and London, March in Bham went on sale today as part of a European tour. Not sure about whether there are any left. Think summer festivals next year are inevitable so will hold off for that.

On 10/12/2018 at 3:09 PM, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

What was the issue with the 2017 performance? I was at both 2015 and 2017 and don't recall there being any kind of drop off in audience or performance from a personal level.

For me it was a combination of time, location, acts before and after, my buzz and audience. Missing Loyle at  back of my mind may have also contributed. Don't get me wrong they were still good but the WH performance had a bigger party vibe and a better slot at like 8ish if I remember rightly.

oxnard-768x768.jpg

1. The Chase (feat. Kadhja Bonet)
2. Headlow (feat. Norelle)
3. Tints (feat. Kendrick Lamar)
4. Who R U?
5. 6 Summers
6. Saviers Road
7. Smile / Petty
8. Mansa Musa (feat. Dr. Dre & Coco Sarai)
9. Brother’s Keeper (feat. Pusha T)
10. Anywhere (feat. Snoop Dogg & the Last Artful, Dodgr)
11. Trippy (feat. J. Cole)
12. Cheers (feat. Q-Tip)
13. Sweet Chick (feat. BJ the Chicago Kid)
14. Left to Right

Tracklist out for Oxnard now. Still think Tints is garbage, and I'm sad to see Bubblin isn't gonna feature on it, but some of these featured names - and no doubt the producers still to come - got me pretty excited for this.

53 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

oxnard-768x768.jpg

1. The Chase (feat. Kadhja Bonet)
2. Headlow (feat. Norelle)
3. Tints (feat. Kendrick Lamar)
4. Who R U?
5. 6 Summers
6. Saviers Road
7. Smile / Petty
8. Mansa Musa (feat. Dr. Dre & Coco Sarai)
9. Brother’s Keeper (feat. Pusha T)
10. Anywhere (feat. Snoop Dogg & the Last Artful, Dodgr)
11. Trippy (feat. J. Cole)
12. Cheers (feat. Q-Tip)
13. Sweet Chick (feat. BJ the Chicago Kid)
14. Left to Right

Tracklist out for Oxnard now. Still think Tints is garbage, and I'm sad to see Bubblin isn't gonna feature on it, but some of these featured names - and no doubt the producers still to come - got me pretty excited for this.

agreed Tints was a bit of a flop - but VERY excited for this album, although the nxworries stuff he did with knxwledge is (IMHO) the best stuff hes put out

On 4/14/2018 at 12:00 PM, FloorFiller said:

Posted in the new music thread but figured it might get noticed more here by people interested. The new Saba album Care For Me is incredible. Best rap release I've heard this year by far.

Cheers for this recommendation, just got round to listening to it, special album, Saba is stupidly talented. 

9 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Oh shit new Vince Staples album coming tomorrow

https://pitchfork.com/news/vince-staples-releasing-new-album-fm-today/

Isn't a proper album, is it? He said he's taken a break from recording his album to do this, but I haven't really read enough about it to know the whole deal.

It's leaked, anyway, if anyone wants to listen now without waiting til tomorrow. Reaction I've read seems pretty mixed.