alcohol infusions

slash's hat

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Last year I brewed some homemade mead. Seemed to go down pretty well with people who tried it. I'm currently making almond wine, but I'm not yet sure if it'll be ready for June. 

As far as sprits go, I always find the problem is not drinking them before we get there. I made sloe gin and sloe vodka before Christmas, but they're gone already :( 

This year I'll be making mince pie whisky, and one other flavour. Not decided yet, but my favourite idea so far is peach melba vodka. 

I have tried a few over the years, with varying degrees of success

Weathers original vodka was very nice, but a little sickly after a while

Sherbert lemon vodka was OK, but I put in too many sweets I think, as it was very thick.

Sour apple sweets was not a good choice for vodka.  It was soooo sour, it was almost undrinkable

Rhubarb and custard vodka was also good.

My favourite was bramble vodka, using the remnants from making bramble jelly 

This year, it will be a traditional sloe gin..

Different to the Ones Currently Posted However went down a treat at IOW and will be bringing some to Glasto this year too

Haribo Gummy Bears - in a glass Bowl Cover with Vodka, Leave in the Fridge for Couple of Days.

The Gummy Bears double in size soaking up the vodka - And Taste great too.

(The vodka not soaked up takes a fruity twist too, but not as nice as the alcoholic gummy bears)

38 minutes ago, HattersBoy said:

I like the Mars bars, pear drops and cola cubes ideas, do you just have to drop the sweets in and they dissolve? Its the other half who is the vodka nut but will try some of these suggestions as a difference to the wine. Nice thread @slash's hat

Yep, the sweets will dissolve in a day or two (from memory).  As others have said, a quick cycle in the dishwasher will do the job as well. 

9 minutes ago, buddiepaul said:

Yep, the sweets will dissolve in a day or two (from memory).  As others have said, a quick cycle in the dishwasher will do the job as well. 

Thanks bp, never heard of using the dishwasher.

6 minutes ago, dooke10 said:

Last year

Chocolate Orange - Great

Random apple boiled sweets left over from a work colleagues wedding - Not so much

In the words of Homer mmmmmm Chocolate Orange. Is that with vodka? 

Rhubarb and custard vodka and pear drop vodka are very good staples.  Generally any boiled sweets will dissolve pretty quick with no need to strain it - like with skittles etc.

I tried making mojito flavoured rum a couple of years ago.  I'm sure in theory it is possible to infuse the rum with the necessary flavours but the horrible brown sludge I produced was in no way potable!

1 minute ago, hurdy said:

Apple pie bourbon. Bottle of JD, apples,  sugar and a vanilla pod. Give it a daily shake and leave it for a couple of months. Smoothes out the liquor a treat,  and you can make a boozy apple pie out of the left over apples. 

That sounds nice. How many apples and how much sugar did you use? I'd hate to waste a bottle of JD! 

I make cherry bakewell every year and I love it. Can be drank straight or with lemonade. It is lethal! 

1 minute ago, hurdy said:

Apple pie bourbon. Bottle of JD, apples,  sugar and a vanilla pod. Give it a daily shake and leave it for a couple of months. Smoothes out the liquor a treat,  and you can make a boozy apple pie out of the left over apples. 

Jesus fúcking christ!