slash's hat

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, hfuhruhurr said:

I've made mine with added sugar - it does help a lot. I also squish the pineapple to get the last bit of gin/juice out. But the leftover pineapple isn't good - so don't squish too much!

Thank you!

10 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I tried it the day after I added it and it seemed to be helping a little.  Have left it since cos didn't want to keep opening it and thought nothing else I can do now anyway but hopeful that by Monday it will have done its magic. My raspberry vodka is gorgeous and that had Caster sugar in. That's my logic. 

I made some raspberry and strawberry gin too, havent tasted that one yet. Going to dip a finger when I get home, will add caster sugar to both if needs be. Thank you for the help! :)

Decanted my infusions into their final bottles at the weekend. The blackberry is fine, but the raspberry one could be better. Couldn't be arsed to add any more raspberries so have just added another vanilla pod and will hope for the best. They'll get drunk whatever. 

1 hour ago, hfuhruhurr said:

I've made mine with added sugar - it does help a lot. I also squish the pineapple to get the last bit of gin/juice out. But the leftover pineapple isn't good - so don't squish too much!

Mine pineapple gin has been infusing for 3 months. Gonna decant it the weekend. How do I go about the straining and is caster sugar needed? Haven't opened it at all. Just shook it daily. Cheers for any help / advice :-) 

16 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

not if you have / can use a dishwasher apparently ?:?)

14 minutes ago, Untz said:

There's time to make infusions with boiled sweets even without a dishwasher, but I would get on that today.

Thanks both...what do you put it in to go in the dishwasher?!

Trip to the shop on my lunch break then :) 

1 minute ago, Laurenkfj said:

Thanks both...what do you put it in to go in the dishwasher?!

Trip to the shop on my lunch break then :) 

Plates ....cups .... knives ...forks etc 

serious answer I believe is the sweet concoctions ..... without the dishwasher just shake regularly with a good shaking action 

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

Plates ....cups .... knives ...forks etc 

serious answer I believe is the sweet concoctions ..... without the dishwasher just shake regularly with a good shaking action 

Haha yes sorry I meant what sort of holder - just the glass bottle they come in? not sure there would be enough room for sweets too! 

I dipped into my lemon sherbert vodka on the weekend. But luckily it had so many sweet infused into it. I reckon I can get away with just topping it up with vodka. Don't think I can do that with the bottle of wine that got drank though!

3 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Sieve lined with a muslin sheet folded in half. Mine definitely needed sugar. I'd recommend trying a spoonful  today and if it's not that nice then add some sugar and reseal. Then carry on shaking till weekend. (not continuously or your arms may get tired)

Ooh I need to add sugar to mine today!! Thanks for the reminder! 

1 hour ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Sieve lined with a muslin sheet folded in half. Mine definitely needed sugar. I'd recommend trying a spoonful  today and if it's not that nice then add some sugar and reseal. Then carry on shaking till weekend. (not continuously or your arms may get tired)

yep - that's what I've done. Although if you don't have the muslin, you can get away without - since the pineapple is reasonably well behaved (not like my blueberries - they're for the juicer soon!!!)

11 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Cheers dude, does it need to be caster sugar, or will normal sugar suffice? Me pops has got it, it's his little project, he said "ask the people in the know what sugar, we can't ruin this". He's 77 and is very serious about this drink. Funny. To be fair I'm pretty excited to try it. Cheers for the help people's

10 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I'd definitely give this a go next time mate

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/drink-me-raspberry-vanilla-vodka%3Famp

It's fucking lovely straight or with lemonade. And only takes a couple of weeks instead of months. 

My gosh that sounds amazing. Cheers.

Thanks for sugar advise dudes. I'll let yous know what it's like, and if I see you round site. You can try some.

Final update before I decant over the weekend:

Banana bourbon - a relative success, but this is definitely a hip-flask punishment drink

Strawberry bon bon vodka - bloody lovely. Very very sweet, with a thick creamy head. Could happily sip it straight.

Parma violet vodka - not great. Didn't use enough sweets, so not enough to take away from the vodka. Put more in the other night, but not sure how it'll turn out. Suggestions on how to drink this would be very welcome.

Raspberry vodka - decent, but needed more sugar. Should turn out nicely.

Blueberry gin - GET IN MY MOUTH! The best of the lot. Delicious.

Apple pie bourbon - another for the hip flask I think.

How have all yours gone?

On 2017-6-13 at 8:55 AM, Laurenkfj said:

Haha yes sorry I meant what sort of holder - just the glass bottle they come in? not sure there would be enough room for sweets too! 

Get a couple of glass bottles, fill with vodka and sweets, seal the cap with lots of tape. Then once you're done - decant into plastic bottles, then seal those tops with a load of tape.:)

(That's if you use the dishwasher method)

Edited by Chimps in Balaclavas
Added to post.

3 hours ago, Chimps in Balaclavas said:

Get a couple of glass bottles, fill with vodka and sweets, seal the cap with lots of tape. Then once you're done - decant into plastic bottles, then seal those tops with a load of tape.:)

(That's if you use the dishwasher method)

I took some of the vodka put and put the sweets in and taped the cap too - thanks tho!! Had to add more sweets after so leaving them awhile longer!

Edit - I also have done sherbert lemons!!

Edited by Laurenkfj

The only one I really think has been 100% successful in the drinkable stakes is the werthers or murray mint vodka. Tried fresh pineapple vodka and Parma violet gin this year but neither have enough taste to be drinkable without a mixer, which was always the original mandate.  I see talk of adding castor sugar but won't this detract from the strength?

Edited by zico martin