alcohol infusions

slash's hat

9 hours ago, midlifecrisis said:

I really want to try making fruit flavoured gin. Do I have time to make a batch now to try it then make another one  to take with me if I have to tweak the recipe? Any advice great fully received!  

Depends on the fruit you want to use. Some can infuse well in a week or two, but others need two or three months to get the flavour out. Generally, the softer the fruit (strawberry, peach etc.), the quicker it should be.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I made bacon vodka for 2014.

It was amazing in bloody Mary's but looked like absolute filth whilst making it.

You basically fry the shit out of a whole pack of streaky bacon. Let the rendered fat cool a bit and add it along with a couple of rashers (you can eat the rest).  Leave for a 2 or 3 weeks, shaking every few days. Like I say at this stage it will look foul. Finally filter through coffee filter one or 2 times and voila.

I've gone for JD with cinnamon, nutmeg, honey and a ghost chilli this year.  Fortunately, I tested it after a relatively short while, and therefore removed the ghost chilli before it turned it into napalm.

Have people started infusing already?! I usually wait until mid-May! 

I'm thinking this year I'll do raspberry vodka, rhubarb vodka, orange vodka and lemon & lime vodka. 

I have started collecting "smartwater" bottles as they are a decent shape and size for carrying around, but need to do a drop test to check how they would survive. 

On 08/03/2017 at 10:35 AM, dimus said:

I made bacon vodka for 2014.

It was amazing in bloody Mary's but looked like absolute filth whilst making it.

You basically fry the shit out of a whole pack of streaky bacon. Let the rendered fat cool a bit and add it along with a couple of rashers (you can eat the rest).  Leave for a 2 or 3 weeks, shaking every few days. Like I say at this stage it will look foul. Finally filter through coffee filter one or 2 times and voila.

Is this for real??

3 minutes ago, dimus said:

For reals.

It doesn't look too bad once filtered. A kind of brownish pink hue.

Tastes well nice though. Even neat. But definitely best in a Bloody Mary.

I can't figure out if this is brilliant or bat shit insane

Edited by Chewie

4 hours ago, Chewie said:

I can't figure out if this is brilliant or bat shit insane

The danger is if you don't filter it properly.  We've been doing a infused booze competition on the Thursday for a few years now, and someone did bacon about 6 years ago.  There were bacon fat globules floating around in it, and a few people nearly threw up. 

5 hours ago, dimus said:

For reals.

It doesn't look too bad once filtered. A kind of brownish pink hue.

Tastes well nice though. Even neat. But definitely best in a Bloody Mary.

Wow. Good grief.

1 hour ago, Greenelk said:

The danger is if you don't filter it properly.  We've been doing a infused booze competition on the Thursday for a few years now, and someone did bacon about 6 years ago.  There were bacon fat globules floating around in it, and a few people nearly threw up. 

Errr, yep that's totally what would happen if I done it. Wanted mind having a taste. But no way I could make that.

Two things on the brew. 

Vin d'orange. Rose wine, vodka, dark rum, vanilla pod, sugar, a lemon and 4 marmalade oranges. 

Cointreau. Vodka, sugar, grated rind of two marmalade oranges. 

Never made either but tastes pretty good so far!

Will also take along a jar of the home made (you guessed i!) marmalade!

6 hours ago, OneLittleFish said:

Changed plans a bit.

Started on some lavender and peppercorn gin which I think might take a while. Also going to make a kiwi, passionfruit and lime rum with a little chilli kick and a licquorice and blackcurrant vodka.

licquorice and blackcurrant vodka.... sounds the business...

will get my wife on the case.. she is flavoured vodka central.

Im really tempted to give the bacon vodka a try. I attempted fresh watermelon the other year and it was woeful. Came out a putrid mud/pink colour and tasted horrific! Looking back though i was foolish enough to think a siv alone would be enough for the filtering process.... Naive fool!

This year im going to use some coffee filters as mentioned further back on here. Also tempted to try watermelon flavour jolly ranchers in a nod to my previous failed attempt. People sell batches of singular flavours on ebay for a good price, which saves on having to buy loads of packs just so you have enough of your desired flavour.

On 3/5/2017 at 4:59 PM, Perks said:

Mmm pineapple gin. Now that sounds good. How did you do it?

me and me pal smashed off a litre of gin and slimline tonic during that ELO set too. Loved it. 

Put some chopped up fresh pineapple in a bottle of gin, leave it for about 3 months! You need to give it a shake every day or so, and try not to open the bottle too often to sniff it or it may go off. You really only need to open it a couple of days before it's done, to pop a couple of big spoonfuls of sugar. Then once it's ready to strain, you just strain it through a sieve (make sure you have a big bowl under the sieve to collect it all!!!) and press the fruit so the juice comes out. 

Bingo! Pineapple gin! Lovely neat, equally lovely with lemonade. 

1 hour ago, lucyginger said:

Put some chopped up fresh pineapple in a bottle of gin, leave it for about 3 months! You need to give it a shake every day or so, and try not to open the bottle too often to sniff it or it may go off. You really only need to open it a couple of days before it's done, to pop a couple of big spoonfuls of sugar. Then once it's ready to strain, you just strain it through a sieve (make sure you have a big bowl under the sieve to collect it all!!!) and press the fruit so the juice comes out. 

Bingo! Pineapple gin! Lovely neat, equally lovely with lemonade. 

Cheers Lucy, quick question(s) how much gin? Just put the chopped pineapple into the bottle of gin? Sorry if that's a silly question, that's how I done it with sherbert sweets last year. Gonna give this a go on Thurs when at me folks. Me da will love looking after this little project.

Started the pineapple gin. Me da is gonna shake the bottle every morning. He's added it to his morning routine of nothing. I wish I was retired. So we'll see in 3 months how it is. Have also decided to make pear drop vodka too, but gonna cheat and do the dishwasher method for that one.

I've not read the whole thread so forgive me if this has been covered.

I've made vodka with: Pineapple chunks, Apple cubes (sour and not so sour), Cola cubes, Werthers, Fox's mints, Pear drops, Mars bars, Skittles, Jelly beans, Cough candy and a few more that slip my mind. I normally use around 200g of sweets to 500ml vodka, this will end up being around 600-700ml of finished product.

Conclusion: Everyone has their favourite, what I like isn't necessarily for everyone. Flavour aside, some things work better than others: clear boiled sweets work best at disolving (24 hours, no dishwasher needed) and don't need any filtering.  All a dishwasher does is heat the mixture to speed up the dissolving, so you can get the same result from putting the bottle in a washing up bowl of hot (not boiling!) water. I tend to do the dissolving in a tupperware container (have you tried breaking boiled sweets into pieces to fit in the neck of a bottle?) and then transfer back to the bottle.

Chocolate-based sweets (Mars bars) taste really nice, but for best results it needs filtering and that can take days.  

Jelly-based sweets (Skittles, Jelly beans) initially dissolve ok but leave a gellatine sludge at the bottom of the bottle and you have to get *that* mate to drink/eat it for a bet.

Werthers is my favourite, they dissolve easily enough but do need a couple of runs through a coffee filter which can take a couple of days. It's drinkable withuot the filtering of course, but looks much nicer as a clear liquid.

Fox's glacier mints is an interesting one - like vodka toothpaste - but quite refreshing on the pallette.  Can be used instead of cleaning one's teeth in a festival situation.

When I did pear drops I got them loose from a shop, they were a mixture of yellow and orange sweets so they were most perplexed when I asked for "just the yellow ones please". 

Skittles ends up a dirty brown colour once all the colours are mixed, doesn't look so good in my opinion.

Non-sour apple cubes are another favourite although quite hard to find on the high street.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Quick question for the experts, as this is my first year of fruity infusions. Do they work with mixers well as I can see me being collapsed by teatime (dinner time for you southern heathens) if I'm on neat spirits all aft. 

Lightweight :)
Charm x