alcohol infusions

slash's hat

17 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Yeah, the bloke I talked to said that the drink he had tasted and smelt of pure green too. However, he was adamant that over a period of time while the dope diffused in to the alcohol that the dope wouldn't work as dope. Just wondering if you were 'smoking' as well as drinking at the festival? Or it could be that the badass bloke was putting some weed in just before selling it, so that the dope was still active.

Nah. You can dissolve THC into alcohol, and then evaporate the alcohol off again and still have something 'active'.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Nah. You can dissolve THC into alcohol, and then evaporate the alcohol off again and still have something 'active'.

Thanks for the information Neil. I'll have to inform my young friend that it can be done afterall, although I'm thinking that I must be mistaken because he is doing a science based PHD, is extremely clever, and helps run a global drug advice helpline. Maybe he just meant that you can't diffuse dope in to alcohol without preparing it first. I shall have to ask.

21 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Thanks for the information Neil. I'll have to inform my young friend that it can be done afterall, although I'm thinking that I must be mistaken because he is doing a science based PHD, is extremely clever, and helps run a global drug advice helpline. Maybe he just meant that you can't diffuse dope in to alcohol without preparing it first. I shall have to ask.

Making oil from dope is done by doing what I just said. There's a very long proven history of it.

The potency of dope does degrade over time, but that's pretty much the same no matter how it's stored - tho it does better in cool temperatures, so I'd guess that applies with dope in alcohol too, and with alcohol evapourating at a lowish temperature I'd guess the potency would reduce quicker in alcohol if the alcohol was open and able to evaporate. But if closed I can't see how it would be a big deal unless perhaps years & years old.

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

The potency of dope does degrade over time, but that's pretty much the same no matter how it's stored - tho it does better in cool temperatures, so I'd guess that applies with dope in alcohol too, and with alcohol evapourating at a lowish temperature I'd guess the potency would reduce quicker in alcohol if the alcohol was open and able to evaporate. But if closed I can't see how it would be a big deal unless perhaps years & years old.

I have just read up on the process involved etc and it backs you up 100%. I was crap at chemistry and stuff like that at school and am left with the query as to why the potency doesn't increase as some of the alcohol evaporates? Is the diffusion of dope in to the alcohol so great that the minute particled held in suspension also evaporate away rather than be left behind to form a more potent brew or physical crust? Guess this must be the case.

14 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I have just read up on the process involved etc and it backs you up 100%. I was crap at chemistry and stuff like that at school and am left with the query as to why the potency doesn't increase as some of the alcohol evaporates?

(I just wrote a duff answer, then deleted it because I realised it was duff. )

For the bit I've bolded, you're right. The potency of what is left behind increases as the alcohol evaporates. That's essentially the oil-making process.

But, i think, something of what is infused is also 'carried' in what evaporates (from a 'boiling-tea under cotton' experiment I did at school).

14 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Is the diffusion of dope in to the alcohol so great that the minute particled held in suspension also evaporate away rather than be left behind to form a more potent brew or physical crust? Guess this must be the case.

The particles aren't 'held in suspension' (tho of course they'll be particles doing that, because it's unlikely to be 100% pure). THC dissolves in alcohol.

The evaporation points for alcohol and THC are different (about 80 degrees and 130 degrees, I think), so if you do it right (over boiling water on a low heat if making oil) the alcohol can be boiled away to leave the THC behind.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

(I just wrote a duff answer, then deleted it because I realised it was duff. )

For the bit I've bolded, you're right. The potency of what is left behind increases as the alcohol evaporates. That's essentially the oil-making process.

But, i think, something of what is infused is also 'carried' in what evaporates (from a 'boiling-tea under cotton' experiment I did at school).

The particles aren't 'held in suspension' (tho of course they'll be particles doing that, because it's unlikely to be 100% pure). THC dissolves in alcohol.

The evaporation points for alcohol and THC are different (about 80 degrees and 130 degrees, I think), so if you do it right (over boiling water on a low heat if making oil) the alcohol can be boiled away to leave the THC behind.

I get it now. Thanks for assisting in that process. :)

• 1 month later...
Fellow drinkers... 

I hope you don't mind if I hijack this thread for a moment, I have a quick favour to ask of the cider and wine drinkers among you. 

My friends are in a cider start-up - they're thinking of developing a dessert cider but would like some feedback on the idea. There’s a quick 10 question survey that they'd be really grateful if you could spare a moment to fill in and you’ll have the chance win a £20 Amazon voucher - https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/C53JV6G

As a thank you, and to revive the thread in earnest, here's a photo of the infusions I made in January and hope to christen this weekend. You lot inspired me to give it a go and see what happens... I will feed back next week (if I've not been banished for posting a survey that is! ;)

L-R: Cranberry vodka, Lime & mint rum, Mango rum, Cherry tangfastics vodka, Sloe & raspberry gin

drinks.jpg

Me too Untz! I was a bit concerned when the sweets just soaked up all the vodka after a few days and expanded inside the bottle, but then I remembered seeing that heat can help the process. Left the bottle standing in a sink of hot water for half an hour and they all melted, although the mixture seems very gloopy now when I shake it. Hopefully it just needs diluting with a bit more vodka or mixer...

What do people decant into? Obviously glass is a no no.

I've used 2 litre coke bottles before with some tape wrapped around for extra dropping security. Also 6 of the little Panda Pop sized bottles when making Skittles vodkas. 

But I've just seen the Lucozade bottles seem a little sturdier!

1 hour ago, Helephantelope said:
Fellow drinkers... 

I hope you don't mind if I hijack this thread for a moment, I have a quick favour to ask of the cider and wine drinkers among you. 

My friends are in a cider start-up - they're thinking of developing a dessert cider but would like some feedback on the idea. There’s a quick 10 question survey that they'd be really grateful if you could spare a moment to fill in and you’ll have the chance win a £20 Amazon voucher - https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/C53JV6G

As a thank you, and to revive the thread in earnest, here's a photo of the infusions I made in January and hope to christen this weekend. You lot inspired me to give it a go and see what happens... I will feed back next week (if I've not been banished for posting a survey that is! ;)

L-R: Cranberry vodka, Lime & mint rum, Mango rum, Cherry tangfastics vodka, Sloe & raspberry gin

drinks.jpg

Those bottles look mouth wateringly good. I think I need an alcohol infusion myself right now.

Survey completed.

5 minutes ago, payneruk said:

Whatever plastic bottles around 500ml size I have leading up the festival, I'm not fussed. Not had any breakages yet.

I pick a fairly small size for portion control as we can't be trusted to not drink all our vodka supply in one go.

last year we had:
blueberry vodka - the best - reasonably fresh, just 4 weeks stewing needed, remember to mash the blueberries - drink neat.
Black cherry vodka - disappointing - but now, some 6 months later - it's a fabulous winter tipple
Pineapple gin - very good - especially mixed with lemonade for a longer drink
White Russians - vodka and Kahlua equal portions poured in a pint of milk for elevenses! Got to line the stomach with something....

52 minutes ago, Helephantelope said:

Me too Untz! I was a bit concerned when the sweets just soaked up all the vodka after a few days and expanded inside the bottle, but then I remembered seeing that heat can help the process. Left the bottle standing in a sink of hot water for half an hour and they all melted, although the mixture seems very gloopy now when I shake it. Hopefully it just needs diluting with a bit more vodka or mixer...

I'm sure some people here put sweet infusions through the dishwasher to help melt them down. 

Gonna get working on ours. Thinking fudge vodka and boring raspberry gin. Hmmmm would dark chocolate work with that? Calling @mr gumby 

37 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

I'm sure some people here put sweet infusions through the dishwasher to help melt them down. 

Gonna get working on ours. Thinking fudge vodka and boring raspberry gin. Hmmmm would dark chocolate work with that? Calling @mr gumby 

Would dark chocolate work with raspberry? Hell, yes! Not sure what would be the best approach, though. I've only once done a chocolatey vodka, and it was only partially successful. I tend to stick to fruits and spices in my infusions. If I was going to give it a go, I'd probably make raspberry gin first, and then combine it with some dark chocolate spread, or something like that.

Just now, mr gumby said:

Would dark chocolate work with raspberry? Hell, yes! Not sure what would be the best approach, though. I've only once done a chocolatey vodka, and it was only partially successful. I tend to stick to fruits and spices in my infusions. If I was going to give it a go, I'd probably make raspberry gin first, and then combine it with some dark chocolate spread, or something like that.

Obvs raspberry and dark chocolate is like heavens exploding in my mouth. I'm an infusion virgin so was wondering if I should start out simple. Not sure how to add chocolate. I'm a big fan of spread but would prefer to use proper dark chocolate. 

2 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Obvs raspberry and dark chocolate is like heavens exploding in my mouth. I'm an infusion virgin so was wondering if I should start out simple. Not sure how to add chocolate. I'm a big fan of spread but would prefer to use proper dark chocolate. 

I think there is a bit of a knack to using chocolate, maybe others on here could offer some tips. Perhaps if you're new to it, keeping it simple is a good idea to begin with. Saves getting downhearted if your first attempt turns out as lumpy sludge! You could always make raspberry gin, and drink it at the same time as eating chocolate! :)

4 hours ago, Helephantelope said:
Fellow drinkers... 

drinks.jpg

Completed the survey for you but I'm really just interested in your rums! Thry both sound amazing! How long have you had them infusing? And what rum did you use? I prefer spiced or dark rum to white generally but not sure if they'd work as well? 

3 hours ago, payneruk said:

I've used 2 litre coke bottles before with some tape wrapped around for extra dropping security. Also 6 of the little Panda Pop sized bottles when making Skittles vodkas. 

But I've just seen the Lucozade bottles seem a little sturdier!

Tonic bottles are good and strong and just the right size (500ml) to carry with you around the site. 2L bottles are too heavy and will burst if you drop a full one...

I was given some raspberry infused Scotch which was just sooo smooth, I haven't the recipe to hand but it was just raspberries, scotch and some sugar so you can probably work it out! I shall be infusing some as soon as I get sorted. I fancy trying the raspberry and mint gin 'n' all.

Last year I made skittles vodka for mixing with lemonade, and mars vodka for drinking straight. Both were quite nice I have to say. I tried blueberry but it didn't work out too well and just tasted like neat vodka, which I found out the hard way by taking a big slug from the bottle. Neat vodka is fucking disgusting! 

1 hour ago, Untz said:

Cold, half decent, neat vodka is fucking delicious. 

Tent warmed, cheapo neat vodka is fucking disgusting.

Let's get this right. 

What do you class as half decent? Grey goose? Belvedere? This was Smirnoff and was rank.

15 hours ago, H.M.V said:

Have been brewing chocolate gin for the last couple of months and it's tasting nice. Bought some high quality cocoa nibs from internet. Has a natural rawchocolate bitterness at the moment so will be sweetening it soon.

3 hours ago, Keithy said:

Have been brewing chocolate gin for the last couple of months and it's tasting nice. Bought some high quality cocoa nibs from internet. Has a natural rawchocolate bitterness at the moment so will be sweetening it soon.

Oh you'll have to let me try it pretty please. Meet you at the red tingy.