Closing out the festival - how do you spend your Sunday night?

SwedgeAntilles

Given the developments of the last few days we now have a clearer picture of how Sunday is looking for this year. Last year I saw the Chems (which was absolutely amazing) headed off to Arcadia for a bit then ended the night in Block 9, it was a great way to end the festival but I can see already this year will be different.

With Coldplay and BMTH looking pretty certain and EW&F looking like a strong possibility for WH I'm already struggling for a headliner. Even if there's a headliner I want to see at JP or the Park I'm thinking it's unlikely I'll be in the same frame of mind as last year when I was happy to dance the night away to pounding techno after being brought back to life by the Chems. 

So I'm looking for suggestions; how do you guys spend the Sunday night? What would you recommend to someone who's probably going to be taking it relatively easily compared to the other nights, all suggestions and advice welcome.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We ended up back in The Park after the Chems, Ryan Adams was just finishing up so a nice little bonus. we then queued up to ascend the Ribbon Tower to get a final look at the site which was an utter delight.

Once back on terra firma, got into the Silent Disco for an hours so before ending up in the bar/disco that is shaped like a boat and only sells rum cocktails, finally called it a night around 2am. Possibly my favourite Glasto sunday since my first one. 

Will be at EW&F if that is happening this year, but definitely going out after.

I've enjoyed various things on the last day of the festival

Early years I'd over do things so much that by Sunday I was exhausted and the goal was more to just survive on through to sunrise at the Stone Circle, it's a lovely atmosphere seeing the last sunrise over the festival on the Monday morning.

One year i had a great old party with two of my friends in the South East Corner, didn't ever seem overly busy from memory, sank a few drinks and danced away to some dubstep before again the Stone Circle, a very wasted man hit on my friend by offering her some olives, the olives were gone but the man didn't get so lucky.

Also quite enjoyed ending the festival in the park, going to arcadia, then going to bar to bar drinking away as things closed down, making it through to sunrise that way, eat something good, pass out, wake up and try to get it together to head home.

Can't deny I enjoy the last night much more when I'm not driving home on the Monday ;)

2 hours ago, Hotchilidog said:

We ended up back in The Park after the Chems, Ryan Adams was just finishing up so a nice little bonus. we then queued up to ascend the Ribbon Tower to get a final look at the site which was an utter delight.

Once back on terra firma, got into the Silent Disco for an hours so before ending up in the bar/disco that is shaped like a boat and only sells rum cocktails, finally called it a night around 2am. Possibly my favourite Glasto sunday since my first one. 

Will be at EW&F if that is happening this year, but definitely going out after.

Is that bar on the way to/from the Pyramid from Other? 

Is that Sonic Silent Disco? I went in the park silent disco the other year but didnt rate it.

Went to the brothers bar and had my last couple of pints, got to A Little More Sensation in time for the last fire show. Wandered about the markets for a bit and went in and out of the bars and tents. Went to Babylon Uprisings closing party and had a dance there then ended my night at The Blues stage where a there was a DJ playing disco to a crowd of about 50 odd people.

I can't ever recall 'doing' the Sunday night. This is mainly because I've nearly always been a driver and wanting to get off the next morning. It's also to do with the fact that I'm usually completely spent by then. I would love to do the Stone Circle thing and watch the sunrise on Monday morning, then sleep all day and leave late. Maybe this year is the year for doing that.

I love Sunday night. We akways get the first train home so it's an all nighter - boogie til about 3 (or until we can't any more) and go back to our tents (where our bags have been strategically packed at a quiet point during the day), sit out on our chairs, swap war stories and best bits and generally have a massive laugh.

2 minutes ago, THEBOILERMAN said:

Always end up watching the comedy in the cabaret tent last thing on the Sunday, great way to chill and get my head back together ready for the drive back to Glasgow on the Monday. 

Oh I really don't envy you that drive. That is one hell of a journey. 10 out of 10 for going through the pain to get to and from the festival. I drove from Northumberland to the festival once but had some assistance with that - if you know what I mean.

Monday is a weird one, we always get differing times on when they want you all packed up and on your way, one year they let us stay till practically 4-6pm and by then, the crew were recovered and feeling much more alive and the drive back was fairly swift and straight forward.

Last year we were given a time of midday to be at least on the move towards the exits and head off home. Which still led to about 6 more hours before i was back home in Bournemouth at the time.

I usually get about five teas.

It hits me before the headliner that I'm about to be taken away from the most amazing and varied array of veggie/vegan foods for another year, and I decide that you can fucking tear it from my cold dead hands. So I go to the Greenfeilds and I have a burger. I watch my headliner. I go to No Bones Jones. I go back to the tent to stock up on booze. I get a curry wrap once we're back out. Usually we head up the Park hill; that's a Burrito for the road. We polish off the booze while we're up there. I see the food stalls shutting, I cram in one last burger, maybe there's chips too. All the cider gets finished. We go to bed.

About 5am I wake up with a kraken head. It's like a turtle head, but it's a kraken's head. I free the kraken in the longdrops, bidding a tearful farewell to those beautiful holes for shitting in, as well as a substantial portion of my colon.

we ended up in the back of beyond in the SE corner, had a right laugh in there! some proper interactive entertainment, loved it. one of the really nice quirky things in the SE corner thats not just music and dancing, not that thats a bad thing.

oh and before that we'd watched ryan adams give one of the performances of the festival. will stick with me for a while that one. 

It really helps if you're not the designated driver. the year that I was, i felt as if i pretty much shouldnt be drinking from about 7 or 8pm onwards ahead of getting a reasonable bit of kip ahead of the early morning drive. on that occasion i probably chucked in the towel after about 11pm which was a shame. to make it worse i couldnt find anything to watch that night so ended up in circus for a bit which was good but I was just knackered. sometimes you just hit the wall. really helps if theres a headliner you like on, as after a great performance ends you're on that little adrenaline buzz that will keep you going for a few more hours

Edited by Memory Man

We have two busy nights in the crew bar - Tuesday and Sunday night.

we hold a big party and roughly 800 will be there on both nights.

My team will pack up all our gear Sunday early evening - have a drink and then swing into action about 22.00 { those that want to watch bands can stay out and we will cover for them }

we could in fact avoid it and leave another Team to do it but I prefer that we do it and it keeps the Tent Manager happy - she likes to drive home overnight so will depart about 02.00 and I will be in charge of that bar until morning.

Each hour various teams will be clocking off and rushing to get in as by tradition we hold a cheap bar after Midnight - all alcohol will be £1 and all the money collected will be passed onto a local charity

many years ago the WBC wanted a ' free bar ' but the Tent Manager and I objected as there was huge wastage as people would leave drink all over the place undrunk - anyway we came out with the idea about a £1 a drink going to a local charity and its been like that ever since.

To make it easier to clear the crowd we switch to cans and plastic bottles { wine and cider } although we do have real ale in a cask.

this image of the cans { not from Glastonbury as normally I don't have time to take shots } - shows 1/12th of what was drunk that night { we had to do it that way as the tables were ready to collapse }

the other one shows how it looks early in the morning { although they had started clearing the left hand side tables }

its a great night even although we are running it - we will take it in turns so everyone on the Team can get a drink.

That bar is meant to end at 04.00 but we will keep it running until 06.00 just to keep them happy which is when the first crew coaches arrive { they have access to a supply road so they can get very close to the crew camp }

As we have all our gear already packed and waiting at the back of the bar we can do a quick load before most people have noticed that the London coaches are waiting  

so it may not be a traditional Sunday night but it suits us,

2011-wbc-116.jpg

2013-wbc-342.jpg

We stil have a shift at 6 am Monday morning and then have to get home so its an early night. Last year we didnt fancy the Who again so headed to SE corner early doors and bimbled about, bumped into some bands doing the same then ended the night at the circus watching La Soiree which was fantastic. Or did we do the circus and then the bimbling? Anyway that was the general idea.

For years we would see the last act on whatever stage we fancied, then head over to Circus to see the trapeze show. That lasted till about 1am, then we'd wander back to the tent, decamp, and head back to the car ready to leave and would be off site by 3am and home by about 6am.

Last year I was on my own so I had a few drinks at Pennard Organic Vineyard, spending the unexpected spare cash I had left over, saw Idlewild, then did a huge walk round the site stopping where I fancied for a drink or a bit of a band or just to people-watch - it was a glorious evening. Went to bed quite late but very happy, and got up for a very hot and sunny 6am shift on Monday morning.