Bowie Tribute

Glastobuddy

59 minutes ago, Kanye's Cock said:

Apologies if there's a separate thread somewhere for this- but has there been any development on the Wednesday night pyramid flashmob sing along thing that was discussed back when old Dave popped his clogs? Really want that to happen.

Lots.  

https://twitter.com/bowieglasto2016

https://www.facebook.com/GlastonBowie/

Edited by stuartbert two hats

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12 April 2016 at 1:16 PM, SwedgeAntilles said:

What's the worst possible cover you could imagine?

I'll go for Ellie Goulding doing an a cappella version of Changes which is then subsequently used in some fucking mortgage advert to torment me for the next 6 months 

So... Ellie Goulding knocked out an a Capella version of When Doves Cry at Coachella last night. 

Shes clearly read my post and is building towards Changes at Glastonbury just to wind me up. She's history's greatest monster.

On Monday, April 18, 2016 at 2:33 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

Christ, a quiz and an organised singalong. A quiz!!!?? Wristbands??!!! Rehearsals in London?!!

I appreciate it's being done with good intentions but that sounds like my idea of Glastonbury hell! 

Ronno is a thoroughbred rock Lord. Best guitarist ever in my eyes and a great bloke in real life too. Met him and he was as great in the flesh. He introduced me to Ian Hunter's daughter too* while Ian Hunter was getting a plaster for my finger. True tale.

*nothing happened so don't worry

It's genuinely baffling to me. What is the purpose of these tributes? It's an act of intense, self serving arrogance. If you really love the artist, as you proclaim to, then 99.99% of the time, you're not going to do a better job of covering Prince or Bowie than the originals. Waste of fucking time.

Oh shite, Da Vinci is dead, here's my half assed, rushed, underrehearsed drawing of the Mona Lisa. What a fucking tribute.

IMG_00091.jpg

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Any truth to the rumour that the Bowie sculpture for the top of the Pyramid has already been scrapped and replaced by a giant pair of steel spectacles to commemorate Ronnie Corbett?

Corbett, Daniels, Prince :-(

Can only hope they've got wee Jimmy Krankie wrapped in cotton wool.

Beyond the gates of heaven, you’ll see all is calm and snowy,
They’re all sitting in their chairs, listening to songs by David Bowie.
George Martin’s got his work cut out, he’s feeling on a roll,
Keith Emerson is playing away, with Prince and Natalie Cole.
“That’s magic” says Paul Daniels as his wand fly’s in to orbit,
Then laughter fills the room with joy, mostly thanks to Ronnie Corbett.
Tony Warren’s on his casting couch with a line up for the telly,
There’s Alan Rickman, Stewpot, Lemmy and Father Ted’s Frank Kelly.
Glenn Frey is playing on his guitar, he’s really at his best,
“I want that man… I’ll sign you now”... says dear old David Gest.
The doorbell rings, the gates are open and there she proudly stood,
The agony aunt Denise Robertson, to check that all is good.
“We’re full up here” says Wogan… he’s being rather cheeky,
“Not quite!” shouts out Victoria Wood as she raises her Woman’s Weekly!

*sniff*

2 hours ago, Mardy said:

It's genuinely baffling to me. What is the purpose of these tributes? It's an act of intense, self serving arrogance. If you really love the artist, as you proclaim to, then 99.99% of the time, you're not going to do a better job of covering Prince or Bowie than the originals. Waste of fucking time.

Thats why I liked Noel Gallagher's on Thursday. Walked on to lets go crazy, and got the crowd to sing live forever as the room went purple.

Dont try and do a shit cover that you havent practiced proprly.

11 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Though it's convenient for Thunderbirds as he has Live Forever in his arsenal , which works pretty well as a tribute for any old occasion.

Art Garfunkel dedicating Bright Eyes to Prince isn't going to have the same effect.

Fair point, but walking on to a Prince tune would do for me. Picture of him on the screens behind.

Or, (I hate intervals / encores - I dont see the point) but use that... As you go off, a prince tune is played. Come back on when it's over.

Get the crowd to aknowledge it. Job done.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

9 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Or better still just do what Nick cave did at Glastonbury in the year michael Jackson died. Dedicate your set to farah Fawcett.

To be fair If someone said..

"Im dedicating this next tune to a little magician who has recently passed away... 

This is for you, Paul Daniels"

I'd approve