PJ Harvey confirmed

zero000

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm a day into it. hope it's a grower...

I had gotten so used to the video/radio version of "The Wheel" that I was wondering if my download was skipping when the lead-in goes on for 1:20, so unnecessary...the hand-clap and 2 run-throughs of the opening riff were quite fine enough on the version that I had got used to. just an unnecessary repetitive run through for almost a minute-and-a-half at beginning has me thinking "just get on with it Polly Jean! - we know what's coming next!"

Chain of Keys my standout track thus far...

Edited by tevaburger

On 04/19/2016 at 5:57 PM, Scruffylovemonster said:

After a few listens today, I like near the memorials. The only one that's giving me real trouble is the river anacostia. 

Agree about a lot of the lyrics though. 

I dunno really, I just feel like near the memorials doesn't really fit in the album and comes on a bit too strong for me. Now we have the album I'm anticipating her festival appearances. Hopefully seeing her twice this year, at Field Day and at Glastonbury.

Edited by BlackHole2006

• 3 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Is anyone still listening to this? I gave it another go this morning. Sad to say it's a bit of a stinker.

Yeah, I like it. A lot. Settled into it now. Think it's a very good solid album.

51 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Is anyone still listening to this? I gave it another go this morning. Sad to say it's a bit of a stinker.

Haven't listened in a while purely due to having other new releases. Might give it another go today as I'm gonna leave the new Radiohead album for a bit after spamming it so much over the last couple of days.

I liked the PJ Harvey album anyway although I still haven't really listened properly to the lyrics.

Only listened to it once on spotify the other week. Quite liked it but it hasn't grabbed me as I've not even thought about listening to it again since.

Although I love PJ dearly and she is more than capable than her giving a performance of last years Patti Smith quality every time I have seen her at a festival I have come away feeling slightly underwhelmed. Not bad by any means, but just not quite hitting the highs I was hoping for.

Edited by tjamest

I quite like it, especially the first part. First five tracks are really great - as good as LES I'd say. Especially Chain of Keys and Ministry of Self Defence. Second Part is much weaker - can't stand 'near the memorials' or 'medicinials', and I like the last 3 songs but they are overlong. But still, it's pretty good, and The Orange Monkey is brilliant.

Lyrics are pretty bad all the way through.

It's not a masterpiece but I wouldn't mind to hear a few tracks of it live, especially from the first half.

pretty much agree with what you just wrote there (but def not as good as Let England Shake, even at the beginning)...i can spin the first 5 tracks through and get through it fine, that bit's growing...the memorials song is just dreadful, one of those things that gets stuck in your head a few days later even after you've given the album a rest for a few days....and as I've said on this thread earlier, the intro to The Wheel on the album is just too long.

also...Polly Jean...in America the National Mall is called the 'Mall' as in 'Ball' as in shopping mall...slightly different than 'Pall Mall'...if you spend so much time there researching and ripping the city, you'd think you could get that bit right on the record...

i read somewhere that she's got a pretty big band on tour, which must mean horns and everything which makes me think she's planning on playing a lot of the stuff on the record for these gigs.

Edited by tevaburger

the other 2 pronunciations which I love hearing you lot make...

Los Angeles - in 'English' Los-An-Ja-leeeez as if it's still a Mexican city, when in 'American', since the occupation, we know it was never Mexican and it's really Los-Annnn (long 'n')-Ja-lis (as in 'list' without the 't')

or when Madison Square Garden, or even Boston Garden...as we say here "who's playing the Garden tonight?", suddenly find an extra 's' added to the end and some fictional venue called 'Madison Square GardenS' is referred to....would love to see you get into a NY taxi and say "can you take me to the Gardens please - to the Knicks game...or the Stone Roses gig, pls"...at least the Canadiens used to give you Maple Leaf Gardens

as a dual UK/US citizen, i can make fun of both sides and of course realize there's far more to poke fun at on the US side...

anyway, back to PJ Harvey...can't wait...just hope she's not clashing with Guy Garvey

• 3 weeks later...

I keep changing my mind between PJ and Beck, I think Beck would out on a better show but I've only gotten into him properly over the last couple of weeks whereas I've been a fan of PJ since LES, but I'm not overly fond of the new album. Big advantage of PJ is she's subbing LCD so more chance of getting a good spot for them if I see PJ.

Gonna be a spur of the moment choice methinks.