PJ Harvey confirmed

zero000

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love new album, and much more than I thought I would.  Though a fan, I've never seen P J Harvey live before....so really looking forward to it.  I see that Gallon Drunk's Terry Edwards and James Johnston feature heavily on the album as well as Mick Harvey (ex Bad Seeds) and John Parish ...hopefully they'll be accompanying her at the show!?

4 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

You given up or still gonna perservere a while? Have you given it a few goes?

No only played it twice I must admit. I will give it a few more listens as there'll be a few played at glastonbury but it's hard to get past the lyrics. Oh well.

17 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Consulting setlist.fm, her last gig favoured the new material:

Chain of Keys

The Wheel

The Orange Monkey

Dollar, Dollar

The Community of Hope

Hmo Sappy Blues

Medicinals

Near the Memorials to Vietnam and Lincoln

The Ministry of Social Affairs

River Anacostia

I would be gutted if that's her setlist for Glastonbury.

Surely she will put in a few of her earlier stuff, a couple from the new album and a couple from 'Let England shake'

3 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Glad to hear it. Picking my copy up tomorrow and you all had me worried there. 

It is lyrically clunky, Scruffy, but I'm glad that it's growing on Mardy as it is a pretty good listen. I still maintain that the songs could be really powerful live - lots of repeated chant sing-alongs à la Let England Shake.

Don't fret if it takes The Orange One® a bit longer to get into it. He's the antithesis of the bandwagon jump-jump-onner!

:)

Ben

1 minute ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I know (and it pains me to say it) but, his deification of Radiohead and the flaming Lips aside, I seem to have very similar tastes in music to him. Especially when it come to acts who broke through in the late 80's and 90's. 

And as there were quite a few round here quick to put it down, my "used to be good" radar was a-beeping.

Nah, it's much better than deserving of that sort of stick. And we've only had it a couple of days!

Frustratingly, I too have to align myself with Grumpypants' taste, though I never got The Flaming Lips who I think I will always catalogue in the 'a little bit of a try-hard novelty band' section...

:ph34r:

Ben

9 hours ago, chestwig said:

... When she plays live, does she tend to play much from her older albums? 

I'm just wondering if I should revisit some of her material so I'm well schooled for seeing her live :-)

revisit her old material....you're ruining yourself if you just come in at a certain stage of her career and think one or two records will sort her out for you

but....based on This Is England (oops, that was The Clash), i mean Let England Shake, she played every track on the album on her tour for that...at least in the US she did

Gave the new album a few listens over the last 2 days and I'm quite impressed by it. I was always looking forward to the release but (unfairly) feared it might feel like a come down after Let England Shake (which is still as brilliant as it was back then IMO). This is a very solid continuation of form from Polly and I really can't wait for June now :D:D:D

10 hours ago, russycarps said:

There's really no hope at all for some people...

I saw the lips at Jodrell Bank.  It was an astounding spectacle, truly and actually awesome.

On record, I really struggle with them.  I'm not sure if it's the sound, or the songwriting, but something just doesn't click with me listening to most of their recorded output.  Probably the sound, since live it's a different experience altogether.  Or maybe I just really like lasers, confetti and bouncing balls.

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I saw the lips at Jodrell Bank.  It was an astounding spectacle, truly and actually awesome.

On record, I really struggle with them.  I'm not sure if it's the sound, or the songwriting, but something just doesn't click with me listening to most of their recorded output.  Probably the sound, since live it's a different experience altogether.  Or maybe I just really like lasers, confetti and bouncing balls.

They are definitely a bit of a marmite band. Some people will never be able to get past his voice, but they have such a big and varied back catalogue there is usually something for everyone somewhere. Plus they have the greatest multi-instrumentalist in the world playing for them.

Ben calls them a novelty band, but I dont think that can be applied to their 80s and 90s stuff. 

I like them because they are about the only band I like whose lyrics are uplifting, hopeful and inspiring. Otherwise I'd just be listening to nick cave, leonard cohen etc. I'd have topped myself long ago...

This song saved my life a while ago!

been away, busy, just bought the album, gonna give it a listen now for first time. Russy's comments do have me a bit worried though, and yes, am also another one of those who tends to have similar-ish band tastes to his, altho also def think Flaming Lips, while a good/decent band, are overrated, esp their '03 pre-Radiohead set...

PJ Harvey still the #1 act for me to see this year until Radiohead gets confirmed